You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Unexpected Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

An Unexpected Encounter

 

Going on my sixth year of dealing with the paranormal, the year 2009 brought me an encounter I never planned on coming across. I had been 16 years old and I was staying at my grandmother's place to watch over the house as well as her dog while she was away vacationing in Australia for three weeks.

To catch you up on some things, she has a shadow ghost there. I do not really know who he is or what his name is but he does have a pioneer/farmer look to him. My grandmother and grandfather (Nana and Gigi) had moved into the area in 1974 and were the first people to live in the house, so I know for a fact that the ghost is attached to the land and not the residence. The area had been used for farming in the early 1900s so maybe he was a farmer in the past. Why he's in my Nana's house, I have no idea.

I had started seeing him when I was 14. Naturally, I pinned it to just being my imagination because honestly, I did not want to believe that I was seeing a ghost. Although I have been experiencing these encounters with several spirits for the past 3 years, I still did not want to believe or recognize that I have this ability. It wasn't until 2008 when my grandfather had gotten very sick from cancer that I started to accept the fact that I wasn't going crazy because he too had seen this shadow ghost. He had described him exactly the way I did when I had first seen him lurking in the hallway.

My Gigi had passed July 2008 and my Nana had gone on her trip January of 2009. I was in my second week of staying at her house and I have sensed "him" throughout the home but that wasn't anything unusual because I always have. It was about midnight when I decided to go to bed. I was on the phone with my boyfriend and as I got to the hallway (because my Nana's room is at the end of it) I started to get creeped out. I hated the fact that I had to walk down the hall in the dark but I had no choice, so I did... I had just finished telling my boyfriend that I hate walking down there alone and then all of a sudden I walked into something.

Instinctively I put my arms to my chest (the way you do when you walk into someone unexpectedly), I looked up and saw this tall dark figure and screamed. I ended up booking it back to the living room and I started crying. I was terrified. I actually walked in to a spirit. I think it was more of the fact that I didn't walk through him and instead I actually bumped into him. It was cold and solid (no word of a lie) it actually felt like I walked in to a dead body (no pun intended). I was so scared that my body would not physically move out of the living room for about half an hour, I had been in a total state of shock. Even though I have dealt with the paranormal before, I did not expect to officially meet a spirit that way...

Is there anyone else who has had this same experience? When I first thought of ghosts, I thought you'd be able to walk through them and not into them. I guess some are different.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, dead_communications, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dead_communications (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-15)
scrapmetalkitten: Thank you for telling me that, I didn't know of any others who have experienced the same thing
😊
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-22)
My grandfather lived in a haunted house and he said that he walked down the hallway into something solid, but he couldn't see anything. He said it really shook him up, because he was just walking and then all of a sudden wham! If ghosts can touch you, than I don't see why you couldn't run into one physically on a very rare occasion. Great story, thanks for sharing.
dead_communications (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
DCinAZ: I had cried for a good hour after that incident. I've seen him around for quite a few years but I've only had an encounter with him twice. The once in the hallway and then once when he had been opening and closing the cupboard doors, which led to him banging on them... That time I left the premises lol. The dog is an indoor dog, she never let him bother her but her sister did. She would always run out of the hallway in to the TV room, lay down quickly, put her ears up, and then start to wimper. I kind of got worried whenever she did that, but he's never done anything to harm me, thank God. Thank you for reading my story:) And I too hope I find some answers.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-19)
Holy crap! I don't know how I would have dealt with running into the solid form of an entity myself... I may even have considered leaving the premises, I just don't know. How you got yourself to go back down that hallway is beyond me. I was raised in way that the sight of a ghost wasn't to be feared but I've never run into a cold solid form in the darkness either. What about the dog? Is it an outdoor or indoor dog? Has the dog ever shown any hint of recognition toward this being? If not, maybe there isn't anything to worry about. (I happen to trust dogs explicitly when it comes to situations like this) But, if it's an outside dog I'd probably make it an inside one. 😜 Thanks for sharing and I hope you find the answers your looking for. 😐
dead_communications (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-18)
huendenchen: yes, it was scary lol and thank you.

Butthead: yes, I had bumped into "him" just as if I walking into a human being lol it creeped me out. I was scared, then confused, then scared. I didn't know what to think. When I was on the phone with my boyfriend he coaxed me to go to the bedroom, that's the only way I got there. But it took me a little while to fall asleep lol I wonder what his reaction was also... I was too busy running away to notice.
butthead (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-18)
when you say you walked into him, did you impact with him causing you to stop, like you couldn't walk further because - like when a human being stands infront of you - you hit them?
Or was it more of a reaction where you stop/lean backwards while holding your hand near your stomach.
I have no reason to ask this other than pure curiosity, as I couldn't fully understand which of the 2 it was.

Nice story though, I'm sure I would have spent longer than 30 minutes in the living room after bumping into him.

I wonder if he was intent on bumping into you or just as startled as you was. ❤
huendchen (49 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-10-18)
Really scary! I've never heard of a solid shadow person actually. Nice story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: