You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: A Terrifying Encounter From The Distant Past

Real Ghost Stories

A Terrifying Encounter From The Distant Past

 

Assalamu alaikum and greetings!

This incident was narrated to me by my late father and happened sometime in the early 1960s. I would like to give a bit of background about my dad, who was born and bred in Hyderabad Deccan and was a medical doctor by profession having graduated from the Usmania University. He migrated to Karachi, Pakistan in the late 1960s and this incident is from his teenage life. He married here in Karachi as a result, I and my siblings were born here and haven't visited India yet. Hence, I welcome any corrections regarding any sort of misunderstandings that I may have regarding Hyderabad Deccan or India in general as I am not a native and I am sure you all will overlook such misconceptions.

My father had a lot of fond memories from his beautiful and historic birth place of India and used to tell us many stories from his childhood, many pleasant however a few very strange of which this one disturbing incident was downright chilling which used scare the living daylights out of us when we were children.

According to my father, Hyderabad Deccan was not much developed in terms of industrialization in those days as it is definitely now and the outskirts of the city were relatively less developed.

This experience happened in my father's maternal aunt's house in such a locale. The house had ground plus one floor and on the ground floor just adjacent to the exit door there was a large caged enclosure for chickens adhered to the entire length of the wall, as was customary to have in quite a few houses those days for domestication purposes. The exit from the ground floor led in to the spacious courtyard which led to the outside of the house through the main gate.

In the summer, it was common for the family to relax in the courtyard at night after dinner, lying down and resting on charpoys (sort of a light wooden bed) placed at some distance from the main gate.

It was one such night, when my father and his cousin (aunt's son) had dinner earlier than usual and decided to relax in the courtyard, chatting and playing board games. They got tired after staying up late and decided to sleep outside on a charpoy located some distance from the main entrance of the house, which was clearly visible from the foot end of the charpoy. My dad was really tired and went in to deep sleep immediately while, his cousin was mildly sleepy and was lost deep in his thoughts with his eyes half closed.

The night was quiet and there was pin-drop silence. After a while, he heard a slow creaking sound like the metal entrance of the house slowly opening to the inside. It disturbed him a bit as it was already past midnight and people those days used to go to sleep early. What he saw next took the wind out of him as he froze and felt chills down his spine. He saw an almost 7 feet tall figure dressed in black with no head entering the main entrance, slowly in a dragging manner. It was not apparent whether it was a man or woman. It slowly walked past them towards the entrance door of the ground floor where the chicken enclosure was situated.

The poor boy was frozen in his place unable to utter any sound, frightened at the eerie sight. For a long time, there was no sound from inside like the entity just disappeared. But after what felt like ages, his cousin again heard the slow dragging sound of the figure moving and slowly walking back towards the main entrance of the house and exiting the open gate. The boy now gathering a bit of courage to move, pulled his blanket on his face and started reciting verses from the holy scripture. For obvious reasons, he couldn't sleep the entire night and narrated the whole incident to my dad when he woke up.

His cousin was really sick and frightened so my dad decided to check the passage from where the figure passed by. When my dad came to the chicken enclosure, he was shocked to see all the chickens were dead. Just a heap of chickens with their necks neatly twisted the other way round. This horrifying and surreal sight sent him running through the house waking all the family members, who had absolutely no idea that the figure even came at night.

What really shocked everyone was the fact that not even a single chicken out of many even made any slightest sort of sound so as to alert anyone. How come all the chickens just sat there quite and still while the headless specter was killing them one by one? Needless to say, the family members stopped using the courtyard for any sort of recreation or leisure after that.

My father had no idea to the day he last narrated this incident what that entity was, where it came from and whether it had any attachment to the house before or after that incident.

The experience is narrated to the best of my ability as I can recall it and I would like to know what you guys think.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MAK_Khi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MAK_Khi (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
5 days ago (2024-04-28)
[at] The_Lost_Voyage_11
Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts. You shared some interesting insights which I have never though of before. Yes, its entirely possible that the entity was merely alerting the family regarding the unfortunate incident however, in my opinion the likelihood is less.
There are a few observations regarding the locale and period in which the incident occurred, which I would like to share which I inferred from several other random incidents my dad used to share from that era. First, those times were really peaceful; incidents like home invasions and robberies were unheard of in that locale. Also, people really cared for those around them and were much mentally stable and least offended than are now. If some person did what I mentioned in the story, he/she might be really messed up mentally. Moreover, headless entities in Subcontinental culture usually signify some really unfortunate tragedy or suffering from the past snd its natural for them to act in such an evil manner similar to what befell them; so-called vengeful spirits.
Anyhow, what you say might very well be a possibility and like I said in one of the comments such encounters often leave many questions unanswered as they ought to.
Thanks
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (245 posts)
 
6 days ago (2024-04-27)
Hello MAK_Khi, what a perplexing story and certainly unnerving!

I'm wondering (and I know it won't be possible to find out), if there could possibly have been a human component to the story and the entity your dad's cousin saw, may have merely appeared to draw attention to the incident. Someone in the area could have sneaked in and killed the chickens in such a manner as described. Depending on the last time someone had checked on the chickens in the enclosure, it could have been earlier and if no one in the family was in the immediate vicinity at the time, they may not have heard any commotion made by the chickens? The entity may have appeared in such a dramatic fashion to alert the family that their chickens had been attacked. That's the overall impression I get.

I have read other stories of such things, spirits or family protectors of sorts always on patrol and drawing attention to things that are not beneficial to the family, even in some cases saving lives. I am not saying that's definitely the case here, but it's a possibility. Things are not always as they appear. Without being able to question those involved in the incident, there will always be doubts.

In either case, food for thought! Thanks for sharing!
MAK_Khi (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
[at] Rajine
Thank you for reading. It does sound that the entity was very evil and it seems virtually impossible now to gather any more information about the history of the place. Now having grown up and having many questions regarding the incident myself, I wish I knew more.
MAK_Khi (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
[at] lwgrn4real66
Thank you for reading. Experiences from other people are hard to remember indeed and so is fighting the urge to embelish details in such experiences.
I agree; it sounds like the land was haunted since long and the entity either wanted them to leave the place altogether by means of scaring them or it just had the urge to kill some living creature now and then for the sake of it and happened to seize the right moment. Anyhow, difficult to conclusively assume anything.
MAK_Khi (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-24)
[at] RCRuskin
Thank you for reading. Yes I can understand; as a kid when you hear such stories, you accept them at face value but when you grow old you start to question; what was the entity doing there? Why did it do this is or that? Etc. However, I believe such experiences leave a lot of unanswered questions because many of such entities are from beyond our realm/ dimension and you cannot expect normal and factual answers in such situations, as they are called paranormal for a reason. Thanks again and I plan to share more stories I heard from my dad in near future.
Rajine (14 stories) (781 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
It would be difficult for you to know the history of the place as this is your dad's and his cousins encounter, but from what I've read, whatever that thing was, it certainly was a very evil entity.
lwgrn4real66 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
Thank you for sharing! Experiences by other people can be hard to remember everything as you know.

But, the experience sounds like possibly haunted land from long, long ago. Be glad you're NOT THERE! 😁
RCRuskin (9 stories) (818 posts)
 
1 week ago (2024-04-23)
Yes. I'd be hiding under blankets to. As usual, I have many questions, but it happened so long ago. Further, as you say, "My father had no idea to the day he last narrated this incident what that entity was, where it came from and whether it had any attachment to the house before or after that incident."

Thanks for sharing, at least.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: