You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: My Best Friend Returns

Real Ghost Stories

My Best Friend Returns

 

When my family and I lived in our old house (7 years ago) there was a young couple with two children and three cats who lived across the road from us. When their marriage broke down, the woman took the children and 1 of the 3 cats. About six months later the husband abandoned the house and the remaining two cats. During those six months one of the cats had constantly hung around at our house for food, water and company so when he was abandoned we adopted him as our own.

From then on, every single day I would come home from school and sit for hours on end hugging and playing with that cat, which was named Ginger as he was white with tan patches. Ginger meant the world to me and, even though some people might find it a bit strange, he was my best friend. Around a year and a half after we took him in we moved to where we are now living. Soon after, we adopted a dog from the local shelter as my birthday present and that was when Ginger's health started to decline. Towards the end of March 2007, Ginger was sneezing blood, he couldn't eat or see and probably couldn't even remember who we were, which was absolutely heartbreaking for me.

On Thursday, March 29th 2007 we took Ginger to the vet who handed down the verdict of brain cancer and suggested that the best course of action was to have him put down seeing as he was nearly 18 years of age and wouldn't survive the cancer anyway. Being an animal loving, 13 year old I protested and was brought to tears in a matter of seconds at the prospect of losing my best mate. Despite my objections he was put down and buried the next day in our back garden.

During the following year it was hard for me to come to terms with his absence and upon his burial I made a promise to him that I would always wear his name tag on my necklace which I have kept ever since.

Roughly 3 months after his death, I had a much unexpected dream about Ginger. In the dream, my dream self was standing around in my back yard when I heard a very soft 'meow' from behind me. I turned slowly and saw Ginger sitting inside the house at the back door. I cried in joy and sadness and ran towards him, however, when I reached the gauze door, it refused to open as if something was forcing it to stay shut. This time, I cried in panic and frustration as I desperately wanted to hold my boy again but couldn't.

At the time, I didn't think much of the symbolism of the dream but now that I'm older my interpretation of it has emerged. To me, this dream hints that although Ginger isn't with us physically anymore, he has remained with my family and me spiritually and visited me, through my dream, to let us know that he's still here... That he still knows where his home is and that he knows the people who love him still and will always miss him.

Part II:

Approximately three years ago, one of my friends had stayed the night and I hadn't packed the trundle bed away yet and so I was seated on the mattress while I was working on my computer in my room. All of a sudden I felt a slight pressure on the rib area beneath my right arm (it was resting on the desk top as it is my mouse and writing hand). At the same time, out of the corner of my eye I saw the mattress beside me keep producing dents which would appear and then disappear. As a basic instinct, my muscles froze, the hair on my arms stood on end, and I held my breath and waited in shock until it had stopped. Afterwards I didn't know what to think other than the fact that someone or something paranormal was in my room and had just touched me. After contemplating my experience I realized the pressure felt similar to the way a cat will rub against its owner's legs when wanting attention and as a result I likened the dents in the mattress to those of a cat walking.

Part III:

Just the other day, my mum and I were hanging out the washing on the clothes-line before work and she mentioned that she had attended a psychic expo the other week and had a reading done from one of the psychics there. She told me the first thing the lady had said was "did you used to own a big, fluffy cat?" to which my mother replied "yes." The lady then went on to mention our current cat's behavior around and dislike of my mum at times (Molly hates having cuddles with mum and always runs away from her, although she does sleep with mum sometimes). Finally, the psychic asked "would you like to know why?" and then continued to state that Ginger had apparently taken up being one of my mum's 'guides' and that Molly can sense Ginger's presence and doesn't particularly like it.

These events only solidified my opinion and interpretation of my dream and of my experience. To this day, I still miss my Ginger and am often brought to tears whenever people talk to me about him or I dwell too much on the past joys we shared.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RachelChum, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shayneigh (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-03)
Ah, that is so sweetthat your cat is still with you. I've lost a lot of dogs and I know that ones that trully loved willalways be with me. Just like Ginger. I bet he was with you when you saw the cat tracks on the matress and felt a pressure brush against you, so yeah he is probablly always going to be there. 😊 😭 😳
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-16)
ginger knows where he was loved and obviously still is bless you for posting now where are the tissues 😭
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
This is a really nice story. I'm glad Ginger is still with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: