You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Sign From My Best Friend

Real Ghost Stories

A Sign From My Best Friend

 

About three years ago in April my best friend Bill died of a drug overdose in a Taco Bell bathroom in Newport, KY. Best friend is really an understatement. He was more like a brother to me. Everybody loved Bill and the kid was a real genius. Just a one of a kind guy you maybe meet maybe once or twice in your lifetime. Needless to say I was devastated when I heard the news.

About a month later my Dad wanted to drive across the country to check out some land he was thinking about buying. I didn't want to go but he's on oxygen from this crazy lung disease he got out of nowhere so he needed me for carrying stuff and making sure he didn't die.

Our first night out we pull in to this nice newer looking hotel and get a room. Nothing unusual about it, just a normal looking nice hotel room with all the works. As I was going to sleep I couldn't stop thinking about Bill and I tried to contact him. I guess I prayed to him. Asking him to please give me some kind of a sign that he was okay. Eventually, I went to sleep.

The next morning my dad was already up early just sitting up in bed. He would be there for a while cause the altitude was getting to his breathing really bad. It was early enough that it was still dark and I decided to take a shower. Flipped the light on, hopped in, I'm showering.

While I was washing my hair I suddenly hear the light switch flick. Blackness. I wasn't really scared or anything, figuring it was some kind of malfunction, but I was amazed when I reached my hand out and the light switch was actually in the off position! I had to turn it back on myself. Thankfully it worked. I remembered trying to contact Bill the night before, and turning the lights off while I was in the shower seemed like his style honestly. Like one of his pranks.

I finished up and when I stepped back in to the room my dad was still sitting on the bed breathing heavily. I still asked him about the light switch. Of course he just looked confused, said he'd been there the whole time, and that was that.

This is 100% true. Also the only ghostly encounter I've had in my life, at least that I remember.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BuskyBolder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Faith1990 (2 stories) (10 posts)
-1
7 years ago (2017-10-09)
I agree with Augusta on all points. You should trust your instincts on this. If you think and feel that it was your friend giving you a sign, then trust that it was. It sounds like his personality based on what you shared. Also, praying or talking to your friend is a healthy thing to do. It helps with the grieving process and provides some comfort as you deal with the loss. I talk to my departed loved ones on a daily basis and they sometimes respond in a way that is meaningful to me, just as your fun-spirited friend did for you. Thanks for sharing!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-10-03)
No, there is absolutely no indication that this was demonic activity. "Praying to" your best friend in the way you mean is absolutely fine, a positive way to deal with loss and hopefully feel a bit of closure. I do the same thing with my grandparents who passed when I was about five - they are still around and give little signs now and then... This has been going on for 25 years now - pretty sure I'd know by now if a demon was, in fact, behind it. I am no demonologist but I don't think giving comfort to the suffering is precisely their forté.

Yes, with the paranormal it is possible for things to go wrong but opening up a door to the sinister while thinking about your late dear friend happens far more often in the movies than in real life.

Trust your gut and your heart. If your heart says speak to him, then you should speak to him. If your gut says the response was from him, then it was.
BuskyBolder (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
I appreciate your sympathy and your input, Anno. I am very open minded and I have considered that possibility as well. I've heard of people trying to contact loved ones and accidentally opening doors to something more sinister. I'll be happy to check out your profile.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
-3
7 years ago (2017-10-01)
Hi BuskyBolder, my condolences for your loss.

I believe that once dead, our souls do not return to earth. Barring any natural occurrence that caused the switch to flip I believe such activity is demonic in nature. Thus I would advise you not to pray to your "best friend" (because it is not him who's listening) and also not do anything to encourage such activity. For more of my views on this please read my profile.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: