You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lights, Vibes, And Shadows

Real Ghost Stories

Lights, Vibes, And Shadows

 

As most of you know, I live in Southern California. I've been noticing over the last few years that I keep seeing strange things at night. At first I figured these things were reflections from my glasses or from other cars, even my truck windows. But I don't think that's what I've been seeing.

One night I was driving to my wonderful girlfriend's place. I was talking to her on the phone when I looked down a dimly lit side street and I caught a figure of a woman in the street. I remember the white night gown she was wearing. It didn't register at first what I was seeing. As I realized what I thought I saw, I turned to see if she was still there and who or whatever it was disappeared. I mentioned what I saw to my girl who has seen her fair share of supernatural things. She didn't seem particularly surprised.

I remember one night I got off work and headed toward home. I always took the same route home; it was just the shortest path I knew. But this night I just had that ill omen feeling and decided to take another path home, well out of the way of my normal route. Every time I would look up a street that led to my normal route, the lights would flicker. Never really talked about what I saw with people, always trying to pass it off as my imagination.

My street has a cemetery on it (down the road about 1/4 mile or so) and I have passed by it over the years and seen white orbs in the cemetery. No people, just bad feelings, glowing orbs, dancing shadows, the usual. As a kid I always felt like something was going to come from the cemetery and grab me and take me to the underworld with it. Obviously it never happened, but suddenly one day it all stopped.

Going to one of my girlfriend's friend's place was never fun at night because I always swore I saw a shadow of an older guy amidst the other shadows. It seemed strongest at night, and it was right by her friend's bedroom window. I never really slept well at that house. The whole place seemed to feed off of negative energy (me being a negative energy conduit of sorts). The more I went over there, the less comfortable I felt in the area.

Ideas?

Other hauntings by SmokeyKnight

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SmokeyKnight, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
I can only assume if the other side (or spirits in general) are trying to contact me it's more out of "we're here" over "dude, we got something important to tell you" since I'm a skeptic. I still find myself doubting myself even though there are things I still can't explain.
I_Am_SPECTRA (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-13)
Whenever things such as lights flickering when you look at them, happen to me, I can't help but feel that it's meant for me in some way. Maybe the universe or the unknown tries to connect with us in many different ways. Interesting accounts.
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
Alright, this is my umpteenth attempt to reply to your last post. I've been having some trouble posting.

Perhaps it was one of those things someone has to experience first hand to fully comprehend. Maybe the activity was unique to you. But it's died down since, so I suppose sleuthing would be out of the question; it could be for the best.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
It could honestly be anything. Again, part of me has always wanted to pass it off as nothing. I know there are a lot of old spirits. I enlisted in the military back in '04, and I had seen all this stuff since about '92. I came back from Iraq in October of '07 and it stopped at the end of November (for me) of that year. Every once in a while I feel compelled to look at the cemetary as I pass, but I never see anything any more.

I practiced and talked about a lot of this stuff to various people in Iraq. Wiccan high preistesses, shamen (I think that's the plurel), Nordic followers, etc. They all had ideas, but nothing seemed to fit. I felt more at peace, but it never really changed things. I say I felt at peace because I think due to the people around me. I've read books, I've meditated, I've talked to people, no one seems to be able to explain my experiences.
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Have you ever sought out assistance from someone who is experienced to help you ground these energies? Maybe you need more than what books and such can offer in the way of developing your abilities.

So the activity in that area subsided completely after your time in the military? I don't know what to say about that. I suppose it could be a number of things. As far as the older part of the cemetery is concerned... I'm not sure why it would give a strange vibe. Do you think there's something unique to the people buried in that area that might be the cause of this?
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
I've studied Wicca for years, and it seems like I can ground negative energy from objects and such, but I can't seem to ground from myself.

The cemetary itself just threw off weird vibes, and I saw light orbs, dacing shadows, etc. Right after I got back from Iraq (maybe a month later) it all stopped. It seemed to come from the older area of the cemetary.
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Hm. So something about that cemetery in particular gives off bad vibes? Is it just the cemetary or that whole area?

Have you tried learning how to ground that negative energy? You really should. So long as you carry that negativity, I think it's fair to say that you'll attract more of it.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
I hate assuming everything is paranormal without solid proof. Some things I just can't dismiss. I consider myself a realist, so I tend to believe what I can see,hear,touch, etc. But it also has to work in my mind. I may see something, but if I don't understand it I'll dismiss it until I can explain it in some way. I know I'm a sensitive, but not to what end. And frankly, there are somethings I am inclined to leave unknown for my own sanity.

I've been to many cemetaries in my day, the only one that has ever freaked me out or had me seeing anything was the one by my house. I've always tried to be respectful in cemetaries since you never know who you're stepping on.

I've always had the ability to absorb negative energies, but I've never been good at grounding them. I'm not sure if the negative energies are attracting spirits and such to me or what.
HazMan_III (4 stories) (91 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
I think how comfortable you are around cemetaries and such has a lot to do with your thoughts and feelings towards the departed and the afterlife... Perhaps it has something to do with Death as well. However, I feel that so long as you maintain a certain level of respect for such places, there's nothing to fear. Besides, we're all going to die sometime; death is a part of life.

Maybe what you need is to be at peace with yourself. I think if you find harmony within, you'll see it reflected without.

As far as that spirit is concerned... It could be the previous owner of the home. Perhaps he's none too thrilled with the current residents, or maybe he's just a disgruntled spirit. I suppose you could try and get him to move on, but he may not want to leave.

I think maybe you should be less inclined to dismiss all these occurences as nothing. Although I believe that many of the things we experience may just be coincidence, some things are not. I think you have good instincts when it comes to these things... You seem to be very aware, but you're too eager to dismiss it all. Try and accept these occurences for what they are, I think it would be for the best.

Best of luck to you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: