You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Odd Occurrences At The Old Victorian 3

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Occurrences At The Old Victorian 3

 

It's been about two years since I've written about my house, and for most of those two years there hasn't really been much to write about. We finished renovations in the master bedroom and bathroom, and for about a year there was nothing significant happening in the house. We hadn't heard footsteps, no one had been having weird dreams or seeing things and the house felt very comfortable. Life was going great.

One day, about 4 months ago, it was a really warm Saturday in October. The sun was shining; there was a slight breeze, almost like a spring day. I was bored and just sitting around in my room when I got a call from my grandmother (the one who was floating off of her bed) asking me how I was. As we were talking, the conversation shifted to the house and the ghosts in it. I reported that there weren't any incidents and there haven't been any for over a year and that I wished they would come back and keep up the activity because it was exciting for me, being the ghost enthusiast I am. She then told me about automatic writing which I had never heard of. She told me to sit very still and quietly with a pencil and paper and just let the energy in the room guide the pencil to write or draw something. I was a little sceptical but I decided to try it.

After sitting at my desk for 30 minutes with a pencil and paper, nothing happened. I was getting bored and I was ready to give up. I took a deep breath in and set my hand back on the paper with my eyes closed and my body open. My hand started to shake. Very slightly it started to shake. I was getting excited and I opened my eyes. The shaking stopped and I saw that I had made a line on the paper. I closed my eyes again and took a deep breath and set my hand back down. After 30 minutes of my hand shaking, it stopped. I opened my eyes and saw that I had written out the name Lyman. I knew that name sounded familiar and I thought it was someone I knew. I racked my brains but I couldn't think of who the hell Lyman was. About 2 days later I was down in my basement and I remembered who he was. Lyman Darling built the house. His name is burned into all of the wooden structure supports in the basement and all of the window-pains in the attic.

I told my mom and she believed me completely. She told me that I have always been a sensitive person and I can sense things like this. She then told me she would give me 5 dollars to do the same thing I did in my room in her room. I consented and went into her room. I sat down on her bed and started to meditate. After a while I started feeling uneasy, kind of sick. I started to get goosebumps all over my body, but not good goosebumps... The kind of feeling you have when you are sick with a fever. I asked aloud to stop making me feel sick. And my hand wrote out a clear as day NO. I left the room and went to check my temperature. I had a nasty fever of 104 and before I went into the bedroom I was feeling fine. I ended up being sick for a week, the only person in my school who was sick with a fever that week.

After recovering, nothing had happened for a month or so. One night while eating dinner with the rest of my family, my step-dad's jean was rolled up a little on one side and I saw scratches on it, 3 scratches. I asked him where he got them and he got defensive, saying none of your business and he made me clean the kitchen. As I was cleaning my mom came up to me and told me he only made a scene so my little brother wouldn't get scared. She said he got the cuts the night before. He thought it was a cat but it turns out their door was closed to their room and the cats weren't in their room at all.

From then on we have been having the most haunting activity yet. When my mom is home alone she hears scratching on doors and walls, there are loud crashes upstairs and we are always being watched. Even at this moment I feel like I am being watched. My step-dad and my mom have both been saying that something is grabbing their legs at night almost every night. Things are disappearing like car keys and winding up in the strangest places like at the foot of the stairs or behind a door to a bathroom which is terrifying. The atmosphere has changed a lot. I will not go in the basement alone. Ever. There is less laughter in the house and there is a sense of doom that just lingers.

Three weeks ago while my mom was in bed reading and my step-dad was in the bathroom, my mom heard footsteps walking towards her room. She thought it was my step dad and asked a question. The footsteps stopped and there was no one there.

About a week later in the middle of the night, my mom wakes up and hears footsteps in the attic above their bed. She wakes my step-dad up (who was amazingly still sceptical) and asked him if he heard them. He paused and listened and said for the first time, the house is haunted.

Two days later our puppy, who loves harassing our cats, burst past my mom and through a door frantically barking. My mom and I chased after her when she ran into my parents' bedroom. We looked in and saw her standing at the edge of the bed barking hysterically at my step-dad's pillow. All the sudden she started yelping and she ran under the bed. We walked in and had to drag her out from under the bed. She was shaking and whimpering. I looked by and behind the pillow to see if a cat was there, but there wasn't one.

That night when my parents were getting ready for bed, about 1 in the morning, I heard a loud crash like a door slamming which woke me up. I was about to get out of bed to see what it was but I realized it was probably just my parents. I was going back to sleep when I heard footsteps pacing back and forth, slowly over my bed. The next day I went to see what was up in the attic, and there wasn't even a floor where I heard footsteps. We had taken the floor out for renovations.

A few nights later, in the middle of the night my step-dad woke my mom up and told her to stop kicking him. She was facing the other direction completely and said I'm sorry I guess even though she knew she hadn't kicked him. A few minutes later when they were still trying to get back to sleep my step-dad was kicked so hard he was pushed half off of the bed. My mom was scared and said that wasn't her and he believed her.

We have all also been hearing strange things. My mom has been waking up early every morning to the sound of very quiet music in another room though she has no idea where it's coming from when all of the radios are off. My step-dad says he hears someone whisper a name to him in the middle of the night though he can't understand what it is. And I have been hearing people whisper all over the house during the day and night. I thought it was my imagination until one day while my mom and I were in a room I heard whispers. I ignored them but my mom stood up and opened the door next to us and asked me if I heard anything. I told her about me hearing whispers around the house and she confessed to hearing them too. So we aren't going crazy.

Two nights ago I was called down to dinner from my room. I came downstairs and walked into my kitchen where I found my mom starring at the rice machine. She turned it on and walked away from it, and when she came back it was off. Dinner wasn't ready yet. I was like OK it's just like she didn't push the button down far enough or something like that. My mom left the room and it was just me and my step-dad in the kitchen. He handed me a bottle of wine and told me to open it. I started to with him putting pork in a plate next to me when all the sudden behind us, the radio sitting directly behind the rice machine clicked off. Then I turned around to look at it. It was in the off position. I turned around and my step-dad and I both heard a click and the radio turned back on. We had no idea what it was.

Which brings us to today. The reason I had to write this. I came back from school today and was the first one in the house from the car. I walked in and noticed every single door in the house was open including cabinets, the oven, and the refrigerator. My mom was right behind me and she said what the f**k did you do. It was the weirdest thing ever. We closed everything and went to make a fire in our wood fire stove. My step-dad wasn't home from work yet but was supposed to be here soon. All the sudden my mom and I both heard a "hello" as clear as day. My mom stood up to see if it was my step-dad. He wasn't even home yet.

I suspect this is poltergeist activity.

Other hauntings by caspertheghost

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, caspertheghost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

KatsWhiskers (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
There is a lot of research that suggests that what is sometimes defined as a "poltergeist haunting" is actually a telekinetic event. It is entirely possible that someone in your house is unknowingly causing all this activity. In this event the activity would have occurred if this person was under a lot of stress or experiencing anxiety.

It could very well be a poltergeist or an intelligent haunting if I think about the automatic writing. I would not discard the possibility of it being telekinetic influences
rockangel13 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-09)
Good, creepy stories, all three of them. I still can't imagine how you find living in a haunted house thrilling! 😲 Anyway, that's brave, Try taking a video where you think the activity is most common, like the barn or the stairs. And if you want, try taking a horse in the barn and see if it reacts to a particular spot. Just suggesting.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-15)
hey Caspertheghost,

I so much enjoyed reading your three sharings here on the site that I did add them to my list of favorite story's! The most scary part to me would be when I got home one day and found everything opened... Who could be behind all of this? The brother or mister Darling or maybe even someone else? I agree with those readers who say that there are ways which will invite spirits. The dangerous thing about these invitations is that you indeed never know who's getting in!

Greetings,
Peter
shamby (15 stories) (100 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
i agree with the other posters, it's intelligent. I also think that you may have sparked the haunting up again by doing the automatic writing. You gave it attention, so it preformed now it wants you to continue to acknowledge it. I don't know if ignoring it is the entirely correct answer because it may just keep doing worse and worse things to get your attention again. All the doors in the house being open is very scary, the idea of it being able to manipulate a large amount of objects is terrifying. If you have a religion, have a religious leader come by and cleanse the house. Or if you seek an alternate route, find a reputable medium to check things out. Don't use an ouija board, it WILL make things worse.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
I'd guess the scratches and such are from the animals the brothers kept. As for everything else, I'd say the brothers probabally don't really understand what happened. You can ask a religious leader (if you believe in any religion) to come by and cleanse the house. Other than that, either ignore them or start telling them to leave and never return. Don't be hostile, but be firm.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to remind you that you "wished" for things to happen again. Be careful what you wish for, my friend.
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
I think the fact that it is getting so much attention, is not helping. May be disconnect yourself from it, do not acknowledge it, ignore the noises.

When physically pushed/kicked...make sure to discourage it, very firmly say aloud to STOP, and leave. You may get some spiritual advice too if you are into it.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the word Poltergeist just a German name for a noisy spirit? Which would still keep it in the category of an intelligent haunt, anyway... One attracted to energy given off a particular human. Either way, in this case, your step dad does not sound like the most pleasant guy to live with. Perhaps there is something attached to energy being put out by you and your family. Just a thought...
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
This isn't poltergeist related. This is an intelligent haunting. In my opinion and others may have a different view is that poltergeist is related to energy only. It is focused around a cerain individual that can be influenced by that person's emotions. Normally a poltergeist occurs during puberty of girls and rarely boys. Once the teen grows up the activity normally stops.

You have an intelligent haunting that I believe was brought on by you trying automatic writing. It could be the owner of the house who built the house. Sometimes when someone puts so much work into something they love and then it is changed by the living they could get upset. It is possible that since you tried to make contact first he is now communicating with you guys. Renovations normally increase activity in homes. I don't think you should have tried automatic writing since you are not skilled in these matters.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
The automatic writing may have something to do with the increased activity, or you were just opening yourself up more to such things.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: