You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Was She?

Real Ghost Stories

What Was She?

 

Its summer, 1981, and I'm riding my old ten-speed bike over the Henderson Bridge in Lorain one night. The night is warm, clear, and pleasant, and I'm enjoying the slow climb to the peak of the bridge's arch.

The bridge spans the Black River, rising to one hundred feet between the walkway and the water. A four lane road travels over the bridge, with a guard railed walkway on its western side. Once over the bridge, the walkway becomes a sidewalk, with a guardrail to either side. West of the bridge is a slope leading to the river, to the east, the manicured, well-lit grounds of the gypsum plant.

I'd reached the peak, and decided to find out just HOW fast I could come down the other end of the bridge... I levered into tenth gear, and began pedaling down as fast as I could. I flew down the bridge, actually getting air as I came off onto the sidewalk.

I was approaching the curve halfway along, when I saw something that shook me... Standing in the middle of the sidewalk, not fifteen yards ahead, was a girl; I can still see her clearly, young, maybe eighteen or so, pretty, blonde, wearing a white blouse, faded jeans, and white sneakers, standing there looking at me hurtling toward her, her right hand in her hair, her left down at her side. She appeared real, and solid.

I had no room to maneuver around her, so I pulled back on my brakes, and dropped my feet to the pavement, yelling a warning, hoping I can stop in time.

I couldn't; I stopped about ten feet past where she'd been standing, but she was gone.

I looked all around. To the west, I would've been able to hear her moving through the dry grass, if not see her, and in the other direction, she would've been in plain sight for about the length of a football field.

Slowly, I shuffled my bike forward, still looking for the girl, when I got my second shock-ahead of my front tire, about fifteen feet or so, was a pothole, about two feet wide by nearly a foot deep... If I'd hit it at the speed I was going, I might have been thrown off the bike, possibly into the traffic speeding over the bridge.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-15)
If you've read my profile, you'll see that I'm a Christian; thus, I believe in a God Who watches over His children, and intervenes when needed. In this case, I do believe that this was such intervention.

Thank everyone for your comments. 😊 ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
alandhopewell,
What I love most about your stort is the conversation it has started in the comment section. So many similar accounts and outcomes. It has generated a wave of good feeling. Thank you so much for sharing this one, it's a real feel good story. ❤ ❤
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-14)
Certainly sounds like she appeared to save you from a nasty accident. She could well be attached to you or even appeared just to save you from the accident as others have said

Wonderful story all the same 😊
Silene02 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
something similar happened to my daughter. She was ridin her bike in high speed but suddenly something made her stopp. She didn't see anybody but she felt a strong impuls to get down from her bike and she discovered that there was a big deepning in the middle of the ground and if she didn't stopp she could have been hurt badly... Perhaps this girl was your guardian angel
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
Wow I wonder if she is attached to you or the area, have you seen this girl before? Does she remind you of someone perhaps?. Either way she did save from a very nasty accident I hope you feel blessed for having had this experience. A very well written story alandhopewell.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing!
I've heard about stories like this. It seems as though this woman (Spirit or Angel) was protecting you from serious energy!
Again, thanks for sharing. Loved it! 😁.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
Another amazing experience Alan, thank you for sharing it. 😊 Whoever this girl was, you were definitely meant to see her. I believe she was there to save you from serious injury.
lastinline (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
Great story. This type of story should have those who aren't sure of the paranormal/angels/etc., think twice. I think it was wonderful that she was there to help you and prevent you from truly have a bad accident.
I've read other stories of beings that help at accidents/prevent accidents. You're a special person with a special helper.

JustinEckert (2 stories) (25 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
well it sounds like the girl you saw was trying to warn you or keep you safe. The girl may be attached to you or she may of died in that area and helps out others in the same area, this is not uncommon. Just consider yourself lucky that she helped you out and be grateful that even in bad times like now we still have someone watching over us and protecting us. ❤
zombiesarecommingforme (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
W.o.w. First, this was excellently written. 😁
It is amazing that she was there. I'm really quite speechless. It is deffinetly a good thing.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
As far as I could find, there is no record of the Henderson Bridge being haunted. It has been suggested that the visitation was angelic; I can't rule that out.

One of my aunts had a similar thing happen to her and her husband, while traveling through the Kentucky mountains back in the Fifties. It was night, and they were coming down a winding mountain road when, just before coming onto a bend, there appeared what my aunt called "a man made of light" in front of the car.

My uncle brought the car to a stop, and the figure vanished. He got out of the car, and looked all around... There was nothing to be seen. He got back in, and started the car, and my aunt got a sense that she should warn him to take the turn slowly. He did, and just around the bend was a truck that had jacknifed across the road.
thebee (18 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
Well done to whoever the little girl is and your a lucky man.
Its like a story with a moral that even most skeptics couldn't dispute, great read and even better ending
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
Excellent tale,Alan.It appears that it was definitely an intelligent haunt. Was this your 1st paranormal encounter? Have you been able to gather any info as to who your benevolent friend may be? Perhaps a jumper? Then again maybe she is attached to you and not so much the bridge?
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
Wow, that was definatly a great story, and I enjoyed reading it very much. Seems like this ghost/spirit tried to appear as life like as possible to save you from hitting that pot hole. I wonder though (in link to what taz890 said) if she had been involved in an accident in that area and may be appearing to other people to stop from something similar to what may have happened to her from happening again.

Maybe do some research into the bridge, and see if anything comes up, cause it maybe surprising what can be found.

Peace
JustCurious
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
wow great post thanks for sharing this one.
It does sound like you were saved from a nasty accident (if not worse) by this spirit.
Have you ever looked up the history of the bridge? If you do I expect you will find an accident reported in the area of your near miss or even reports of other sightings of this girl you saw that help to avoid accidents.
Again thanks for posting an interesting story 😊
Carl
EthanGhostly (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-12)
Wow. It sounds like that ghost saved your life. You're lucky that that ghost stopped you. 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: