You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Shady Character

Real Ghost Stories

A Shady Character

 

August, 1991. I'm staying with Dave, Buddi, and Dave's mother at their home in Avon Lake, a little town about twelve miles east of Lorain. I'd been evicted from 1444 Broadway for nonpayment, which I didn't pay because the new owner wanted to (A) raise the rent, (B) tack on utilities, but (C) didn't want to fix anything; by this point, I had no running water.

I had a job coming up in Cleveland, a live-in position, which started on the eighth of September-until it opened up, I'd stay with my friends. Dave and I had wound up on each other's doorsteps in the past, so this was nothing new.

We thought we'd left the weirdness behind us in Lorain, until we started noticing things coming up missing, small items, which would turn up in plain sight later. The three of us slept in the rec area of the basement, and were awakened a couple of times by the tv coming on by itself. Dave's dog and cat would often act as if trying to get the attention of an unseen fourth person; Dave's mother rarely came down there, we thought because of the stairs.

One Sunday morning, I was awakened by the scent of coffee brewing. Looking over at the bed from the couch where I slept, I could see that Dave was already up, and probably in the kitchen, and Buddi was stirring.

I'd just put on my glasses when I heard Buddi scream. I whirled in her direction, and I could see she was pointing at the foot of the stairs. There, directly below the brightly lit ceiling fixture, was the form of a man, looking as if made of darkness itself. It was three-dimensional, and opaque, standing upright, facing her. I yelled, and it turned toward me, and-FLIPPED- sideways, like that woman in the Star Trek episode, so that I could barely see it on edge. Then it vanished.

As it disappeared, the dryer, which was in the next room, came on by itself.

Dave came charging down the stairs (all this was a few seconds) to comfort his wife, as we both described to him what we'd seen-he said he'd sometimes seen "something moving" in that spot, that wouldn't be there when he'd turn his full gaze upon it.

We tried to tell his mother about it, but she refused to discuss it, saying we were making it up to scare her.

Still, she wouldn't go down in the basement by herself.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
ROOK-I understand that not everyone believes as I do. My goal is not to offend, but to express what I believe, knowing and accepting that such expression may cause offense. The Bible tells us that this will be so.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
(Sorry I have not replied in a more timely manner I have been suffering from Jobus Interuptus... Things are beginning to look better though.)

Alan,

There are some accepted scriptures that some regard as evidence for the existence of an intermediate state where spirits 'wait' until the Final Judgment before being allowed into Heaven or being cast into Hell. Roman Catholic's call this Purgatory (see 2 Maccabees 12:42-46 and 1 Corinthians 3:10-15). There is (was?...depends on ones choice of Faith I suppose...) the practice of indulgences... A remission of sins before God, through the mediation of the Church (once again Roman Catholic). So to say...

"The Scriptures say that there are only two possible destinations for the dead; Heaven for those who know Christ as Lord and Savior, and Hell for those who don't." Seems pretty dismissive of some peoples beliefs.

For me it's a bit more basic, the spirit world is where our spirits wait for the final Judgment... Here they can further develop and accept concepts they did not while in physical form... And this place will exist until the Final Judgment. If a spirits 'needs' another 'lap' in the physical realm to be exposed to 'teachings' or to accept something they have learned for advancement...well, that's reincarnation for you.

Just somethings for thought.

Respectfully,

Rook
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-24)
As far as "doorways", the Scriptures definitely speak of other realms, with spirits, both angelic and demonic, having access to the realm (dimension) where man dwells.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-21)
alandhopewell - Thank you for your response. Unfortunately our beliefs are poles apart. Let it rest there.

Regards, Melda
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-20)
MEIDA-The Scriptures say that there are only two possible destinations for the dead; Heaven for those who know Christ as Lord and Savior, and Hell for those who don't. They also speak of spirits, those who serve the Lord (angels), and those who rebelled (demons). These fallen angels seek to keep man from a saving relationship with Christ, and use many means, one of which is to create confusion about man's eternal destiny...thus, ghosts.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-20)
alandhopewell - I would like to understand why you believe that spirits/ghosts, whatever your term for them might be, are either angels or demons?

I know that you are Christian and must add that I was raised in a very staunch Catholic home where "otherworldly" beings simply did not exist. They were promptly passed off as nightmares. Unfortunately for as far back as I can remember in my childhood I was regularly visited by ghosts and I was terrified out of my tiny mind! I used to wake up the entire household with my screams! (Shame, poor Denise has had another nightmare.) Being a child I didn't realise that these souls were actually harmless.

Only once did I see "something" that I would describe as demonic. The other ghosts I saw were definitely not demonic and neither were they angels. Then of course we also had a poltergeist but what would you expect in a house in which five daughters and one son was raised?!

Truth to tell, years ago I lived in a house and was haunted by a restless spirit. I knew he meant me no harm but what I also realised (urged by my mother who didn't believe in ghosts!) was that he needed my help to pass on. I contacted the Catholic priest who arrived posthaste and did a blessing of my home and the the ghost and I parted ways in a very amicable manner.

My question still stands - why angel or demon?

Regards, Melda
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-19)
Belief in Christ does not necessarily keep one entirely free from demonic activity; under certain circumstances, it may increase.
The believer needs to be aware that (a) God is always in control, and (b) the demonic forces cannot directly harm the believer, although they may cause an immature believer to harm themselves through fear or confusion.
To this day, I experience such "poking", often in the form of objects being moved or even vanishing. This, of course, can cause discord in a household, if one starts accusing others of messing with their stuff.
When they bug me enough, I dispel them in the name of Jesus.
I don't find your questions an intrusion. Stay well.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-15)
Rook, I really like your theory of thresholds. That really explains a lot. It's going to be something for me to ponder for the next few days. Thank you for this suggestion. I never considered that before and it honestly makes a ton of sense.

I can't answer for Alan, but I personally feel that demons are real. They can manifest anywhere whether you are Christian or not, Christian home or not... But I do think they can have limited power in certain areas depending on your belief system.

I'd like to hear Alan's thoughts too.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-15)
alandhopewell,

Thank you for the clarifications...

That being out of the way I have a couple of more questions... And a theory to put forth...

You described the experience thusly...

"Leaning around the doorway was a solid form, like that of a tall man made entirely of darkness. It seemed to be looking right at me, although I couldn't discern any features."

There is a theory about 'thresholds', areas like doorways/windows...It 'states' that areas like these are easier for spirits to use to manifest because they are 'in between' (crossing from one room to another or from inside to outside) as one steps through (or looks through) they are 'in between' two places. (i.e. As you stand in a doorway you are 'in between' being inside and outside) This theory posits that because of this unique situation spirits find it easier to manifest there.

However that doesn't help explain 'why' a 'shadow demon' would manifest 'inside' your home... 😲 Unless your household is experiencing a high level of stress/depression/negative energy for some reason.

I understand you are Christian... And based on that fact it makes me wonder why/how something like that could manage to manifest inside your home?

You need not share personal information or issues with us, but thinking about reasons 'how/why' this 'shadow demon' managed to manifest inside your home have to be considered and corrected if its with in your ability to do so.

Sorry, did not mean to ramble.

Respectfully,

Rook
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-14)
To add: there was nothing in the apartment that would cast such a shadow.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-14)
As I've mentioned before, I believe most paranormal phenomena to be demonic, with the exception of angelic intervention (See the story, "What Was She?")
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-06)
alandhopewell,

What makes you use the words 'shadow demon' when describing this experience?

It seems 'innocent' enough... Just a 'shadow' looking in on you... Not doing anything else. Is it possible that the spirit/entity you saw was only able to manifest as a 'black form' rather than a full body apparition?

Was there a feeling of 'fear/dread'?

Was there a strong 'negative feeling' that accompanied this 'visit'?

Was it simply just the 'black shape' of an individual or could you make out 'eyes'...if so what color were they?

I am sure you checked this but is there any chance that what you saw was caused by something outside casting a shadow into your apartment?

Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-02-04)
I had an encounter with a shadow demon about six months ago. I was alone in the apartment, watching tv in the bedroom, about nine thirty or so. The doorway to the bedroom was open, to my left. There was a small table lamp on in the living room, and the light from the tv kept away the darkness.
I caught movement from the corner of my eye, and turned quickly, as I hadn't heard the front door open.
Leaning around the doorway was a solid form, like that of a tall man made entirely of darkness. It seemed to be looking right at me, although I couldn't discern any features.
It was quite visible for about three seconds or so, then... It just wasn't there.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
Alandhopewell: those little critters are scary, and extremely aggressive too! It's creepier to me that they burrow instead of hanging out in outside webs like most other spiders. I feel like any hole I step near in my backyard could be a secret hideout of fully-trained ninja assassin spiders.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-05)
Speaking of wolf spiders, on a camping trip we ran across one the size of a grown man's hand.
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-29)
That was hilarious Lou! Been on and off lately, but somehow I manage to find the good ones.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
OMG Lou!...Now there's an image to make you want to dig your own eyes out! 😆...Oh, crap, I'm never gonn'a stop laughing at that 😆 😆
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
DA,
As much as I would like to give you the honor, you are not the first woman to tell me they were left thinking of me when they were force to encounter something hairy and nasty.:0 Thank you for the comic relief, and I am sure we will be hearing from you in the comment section soon.;)

Lou
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Shas - not bad enough you were thinking you had a ghost in the shower with you, but you find it's a wolf spider. And then to beat it all, you end up thinking about the folks here? Somehow you will never end up showering "alone" again 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Sir Lou,

It's been a minute, hasn't it? I THOUGHT I felt like I had an audience the last time I took a shower...😆 Oh, I have another short story for you:

So I was minding my own business, wearing nothing but what my momma gave me, taking a lovely cool shower in this ridiculously hot weather, when I felt that feeling. You know the one. "Someone's watching me." I freeze, mid-scrub with my noggin all shampoo-y, and a cold chill of terror overwashes me. Everything in me screams "don't look up!" And what's worse, my eyes are bad without my glasses. But against my will, my eyes turn upward slowly, my heart hammering in my chest... Only for me to see...

The ugliest, hairiest, nastiest and most evil-intending wolf spider.

NOPE. I nope'd myself right out of the shower and ran screaming, half-wrapped in a towel, begging my boyfriend to kill it. Kill it with fire.

And he did. Bless his soul, he killed it. Not with fire, but a shoe, and that will suffice. Needless to say, never a comfortable shower since. Somehow this all made me think of you. ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Who? US? Yeah, right! 😆

Just trying to keep up with all the work I've been buried under these days. I'm finding less and less time time for ygs each day. See you around D/A.

Jav 😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Hey, DA.

What's shakin', lady? Shower spotters on duty.:)

Lou
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Hey Jav, not too shabby. A lot has changed and a lot has happened, but I'm hanging in there, you know how we do. I trust ya'll have been behaving yourselves without the 'fun police' on patrol. 😉 I hope you're well!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Welcome back D/A, how's life in Southern California these days?

Jav 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Thank you m'dear! I think it's time to take a break from taking a break. 😜
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Welcome back DA! Nice to see you again. I agree. Seeing stuff in the day is the creepiest!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
That is one of the creepiest things. It always freaks me out when weird stuff happens in broad daylight. When we're kids we are generally taught that the monsters and spooks only come out at night... In reality, they come out whenever they feel like it. Sounds like the visitor was just as surprised to see Bobbi or to have been acknowledged as she was to see him.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
DARKNESS: "My Mom's House 2" was published last week...We're doing a lot of editing trying to keep it under control 😆...Still catching up from vacation 😆
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-26)
alandhopewell: I have never really watched Star Trek so I am not to familiar with the lady in that, but I do understand how you seen the figure flip to be side on edge, strange indeed.
I was thinking along the lines of What Miracles mentioned and that being the electricity fuse/breaker box being stored down there. I have no doubt being so close to it that the influx of electricity in the sorrounding would have no doubt made it easier for whatever is residing there to manifest.

I was also thinking that there was probably a high electrical magnetic field down there as well this itself can sometimes cause an eerie feeling and unexplained occurences. This may also have something to do with the VCR lighting playing up aswell as you mentioned in your response?
Well at least something to think about anyway! 😊

Thanks for sharing another one with us here alandhopewell, always a good read!

Dan

** (Granny have I missed a story of yours? I hope not am going for a hunt! Lol) **
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-06-25)
Lou - gotta get my "second wind" however I can 😉. Unfortunately, or maybe it's fortunately LOL, my whiteout is now in a pen 😆

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: