You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Those Eyes

Real Ghost Stories

Those Eyes

 

This story is not mine; it was related to me by Mark, a friend, just after it happened.

Mark was the keyboard player in a local band... Still plays professionally, in fact, these days with his own group. This was nineteen seventy-five, when Mark, all of us, were still young men, energetic, looking for fun and adventure... Perhaps just not of this sort.

It was a wet, rainy summer afternoon, and Mark was driving down Ridge Street in Elyria, a town about ten miles south of Lorain. In the car with him were three other band members, one at shotgun, the other two in the back seat of the '62 Thunderbird. They were on their way to a friend's house, to pick up some equipment.

To their left, as they approached the intersection, was Ridgelawn Cemetery, its iron gates looming black against the gray backdrop of the sky. Back in the Fifties, so my mother had told me, Ridgelawn was the scene of weird occurrences, where a strange woman would signal taxicabs before the gates on rainy afternoons and evenings, only to vanish after going a few blocks.

The light was against them, and the guys found themselves stopped at the intersection. As the light cycled to yellow, Mark noticed a figure by the gates, a woman clad in black, staring at the car, her eyes burning even at that distance. As the light hit green, Mark hit the gas.

The woman was suddenly gone... And just as suddenly, INSIDE THE CAR! Sitting in the rear, between the bass player and guitar man, her face pale, and drawn, her green eyes blazing and hypnotic.

Mark said he didn't remember driving out of the city, nor did the other three men. Yet, that's where they found themselves about fifteen minutes later, about eight miles outside of town, sitting in the driveway of a dilapidated, vacant house, their eerie passenger nowhere in sight. They hurried back onto the road and headed home, their errand forgotten for the moment.

For a long time after that, you couldn't pay Mark to drive past Ridgelawn.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
Alan, I'm glad you continue to post stories here. I always enjoy them. I found this story fascinating on two levels: As Rook points out, there are many cemetery girl stories, but this on has a new twist. I did a cursory Google search on the cemetery but didn't turn up anything more. Anyway, thanks for posting.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
SDS- At the time Mark recounted the story, the other three gentlemen were present-I'd met them at one of our usual haunts; they chimed in with their experience, and all four of them agreed on what happened. Also, they were quite shaken by the experience, which had happened a couple hours before I found them at the bar.

AUSSIEDAZ- I've experienced missing time and such myself- see my story "A Ghost Story From 20th and Broadway?"

As I flunked Physics, I cannot comment on your explanation.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
Hi alandhopewell, I would like to ask you did you actually ask the other 3 guys about this experience. Have they seen this lady being there at the cemetery and again inside the car? Did the others feel her presence? I am also greatly confused about their driving away from the town without their knowing. That is quite strange and hard to digest and believe. I am not offending but this sounds really like Philadelphia experiment like a ship vanishing and been seen several miles away.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-14)
If this story is a true account, then the only possible explanation for the loss of time and location would be due to the sub conscious transportation of multi universes... Theoretical physicist like Stephen Hawkins believe that our universe is a drop in the ocean compared to a multiple number of surrounding universes of which each have there own time, space and relevance of functioning exactly like ours... As they discovered all atoms and electrons cannot be defined to one location it just may be possible to move from one universe to the next through the energy of thought? Or perhaps its the ripple of two universes interacting at the same point of time and junction long enough to have caused your weird account? It may explain the loss time and how this ghost ended up in the car without the stopping of it?... You read many stories here of cars appearing and disappearing and I can testify to one of them myself... It seems absolutely crazy or impossible that something solid could vanish or end up at a different location with no memory of that actual time or movement with the laws of physics that apply to our world? Then again with the recent discovery of string theory is it really that impossible?... There is a growing belief among many that the essence and of our universe is not matter... But rather consciousness itself? She wanted a lift and she got one?
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
EDENMARIE- Always good to hear from a homegirl.
I haven't seen Mark in years, so I can't really divulge more information about him, although it's certainly possible that it's the same person.

Dunno if you've read my other stories, all of which take place in and around Lorain. I'm going to look up your stories.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-13)
Well they were stopped for a light...

I believe this is the first 'ghost story' I have heard of that has actual 'lost time/change of location'. Not to mention it happened to four people at the same time. So I'm not sure...

Many, many Cemeteries have there 'Haunted by Ghost Girl' stories... Resurrection Mary being one of the most famous... And some have been sad to get into the car... But lost time/change of location... This is a first for me.

Respectfully,

Rook
EdenMarie (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
I know that area well, and can tell you I won't go near Ridgelawn Cemetery as I've felt very uncomfortable just driving past. More uncomfortable than I ever felt when driving past most other cemeteries. I've never 'seen' anything though.

On a side note... I have an 'online friend' on facebook named Mark, at or around the same age, from the same area, who is a musician. Wonder if it could be the same Mark. How 'coincidental' it would be that I happened to log in and see this story only to discover I happen to know the person who experienced this?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
well, that's the first time I've heard the "ghostly hitchhiker" suddenly appearing in the car, without the driver even stopping first.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
yeah,...I remember my first beer...

Fiftyniftyunsftoc
Lou
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
This was one time I'm glad I wasn't along; she might've wound up in my lap!
meow3 (23 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Wow, what a great story! I don't blame Mark one bit for never wanting to drive past that cemetary again. I'd have been scared to death! I can just see that lady with her spooky eyes. 😨
Isolde (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-12)
Ah, the woman needed a ride! 😊

Story is nicely told

Isolde

5050

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: