You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Ghost Story From 20th And Broadway?

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost Story From 20th And Broadway?

 

This one was strange, and I was never sure exactly how to categorize it; I blogged about it, under a kind of "WT*?" heading.

At 20th and Broadway in Lorain, on the northwest corner, sits a storefront property. Today, it's vacant, and the basement entrance is concreted over. In the 60s, there was a drugstore there, and the basement had an entrance on the south side of the building, a flight of stairs guarded by a cast-iron railing, with a door and a narrow front at the foot of the stairs. Back in the late 60s, the basement space was the headquarters of a cab company, which went out of business in 1970. The door was boarded over, as was the head of the stairway, and dust and debris gradually gathered in the space below.

Over the years, I'd generally pass that spot on foot at least twice a day, particularly as the drugstore had become a newsstand with a paperback exchange, where I'd trade in my old readables for other books or cigarette money. The basement space stayed vacant, dusty, and unused.

One night, in the summer of '75, I was walking home from a movie downtown, about 11:00 or so. As I reached the corner at 20th, I could faintly hear music and noise coming from the general direction of the newsstand. I turned, and could see light coming from the basement entrance.

When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised... The boards at the head of the stairs were gone, the stairs were clear of junk, as was the space below, and the door was open, with light and music spilling out of it. "Cool," I thought, "someone's bought that, and maybe they're going to turn it into something interesting; maybe I can get a job there."

I headed on home, and came back by the spot about nine the next morning, only to receive a shock.

The stairs were boarded over, covered with dust and debris, as was the space at the foot of them. The entrance door was boarded shut, and hung with cobwebs, as it had been for years.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-28)
Exceptionally strange story, alandhopewell! I've read quite a few similar to yours on this sight and find it all very interesting. Now time to dig into more of your stories. Thanks for sharing this one.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-11)
I'm glad I didn't go; perhaps I would've gotten lost in...where? When?
Chrsw72 (22 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-08)
You walked into an imprint from the past. This is the 2nd story like this I have read on here and find it fascinationg. Do you ever wished you wnnet in that night?
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
You know, I just realised that I haven't really run accross this type of stories to much. I would like to read more of these type of stories. I wonder if anyone had crossed over through the door into it, what would happen and if you come back.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
alandhopewell: I like reading about these experiences very intriguing. As already mentioned I'm thinking along the lines of you witnessing some sort of dimensional shift a period of time interlapping with our current time? I'm also curious as to what would have happened if you walked over and inside? Thanks for sharing with us again!

Dan
LillyPieLindsay (35 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-14)
I have to say the stories like this one are my absolute. Favorites - maybe because I've become more interested in physics lately and the idea of a time slip is not that absurd when you get into the more deep end of physics. Anyway, thx for sharing!
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
ROOK- Yes, I did feel as if I could just go down those stairs, and walk in-although I'm kind of glad I didn't.

When I was stationed at Great Lakes Naval Base back in '76, I spent a lot of time in Chicago on liberty. On two separate occasions, I believe I may have walked into "holes in time", the first being a bar that I wandered into one night, the second a fascinating bookstore where I spent an afternon browsing. In both cases, I attemped to return to the places the next time I was in town, only to find something entirely different in what I am positive was the same location.

I've previously related an experience of being picked up by several friends whilst walking one winter night in Lorain, riding around with them for more than an hour, being dropped off by them, only to discover that none of them had seen me, or each other, that night.

Two of these friends and I had a "missing time" experience, where we lost nearly three hours crusing on country roads that were as familiar to us as the streets we lived on.
SebastianRaynes73 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
Alandhopewell, wow what a sight to behold. Sounds very much like you saw a opening to the past, a ripple so to speak. Other people call them Time Slips or Fragments. Others call them portholes to other dimensions you can see through to a place that is and by all accounts looks the same. Only something is unnatural about it. And you feel kind of like your out of place or time. I had it happen once in the East Village in New York. I spent 1/2 in a lovely cafe and even had a meal that was incredibly cheap. A waitress commented she like my groovy looking sun glasses. At first I just thought since it was done up to look like a 1960's diner that the waitress was keeping with the theme. Only after returning the next day to find a empty boarded up long empty shop. It was when I asked around that a Lady in her late 70's told me that I described to her a hippy coffee house that had been there from the mid 1960's until it burn inside in the early 1970's. It hadnt been reopened. Other shops had since come and gone. None stayed long. And apparently I wasn't the first person to see the hippy coffee house as it had once been. Sadly I couldn't find anyone to talk to me about it. Most people laughed at me, called me nuts. One oldguy asked if I was high (ive never taken drugs in my life). And a old, old lady told me to shut up and stop asking about this "filthy place that keeps reapearing". Worried someone would call the police to arrest me I finally left it alone. To this day I wonder how and why it happened to me. And I still have no better answer than the first time my mind asked me.

Hey Rookdygin. Love the story you posted a link to. Awesome.

Sebastian.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-13)
alandhopewell,

Thank you for sharing this with us it let's me know my wife and I are not crazy as we experienced something similar in Portsmouth, RI.

(http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=4246)

I'm not sure what we experienced, nor can I be sure what you did... Residual Haunt? Time Slip? Who knows.

I want to ask you this... Did you feel like you could just 'walk in' and join whoever was in the basement? I ask because my Wife and I felt convinced if we had knocked on the door we would have been able to enter the 'home'.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Yep that sure is a Resident Haunted *Like Record in replay* and very interest story and thanks for shared. 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
Maybe this space was used as a speakeasy back in the day. Maybe you walked upon a residual haunting having a party.
You can easily find out by looking it up in town hall records or at the
Archives at the library.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
I know that I have experienced some similar occurrences, but like this. Time slip? Residual haunting? It's fascinating. Thanks, Alan!
Hades666 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-12)
I have to say that is quite an intriguing story and very well written, so credits to you. On the otherhand I wanted to ask: do you know anybody else that has seen this strange occurrence?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: