You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: The Static Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Static Man

 

Living in Vernon was very hard on my family. My dad decided he was tired of being a parent, and gave my mom two years to get a job and get out of the house (unbeknownst to me and my youngest sister, of course). My brother left the house as soon as he turned eighteen, and he was always getting drunk or high, or having relations with certain seedy women. My older sister was caught up in her own drama, and had no kind words to offer her younger siblings. So I suppose it's no surprise that my little sister and I had paranormal experiences there.

First, allow me to explain the layout of the Vernon house. The front door opened into a small foyer, then the dining room and kitchen, which are connected. The hallway to our bedrooms was to the left, while the kitchen was to the right. Standing in the foyer, you could see almost the entire house, including the huge family room down a couple of stairs connected to the dining room.

Now, before I begin, I'd like to explain that I had a problem with sleepwalking as a child. I would go to sleep in my bedroom, then wake up in the living room, kitchen, etc. Sometimes I even interacted with everyone who was still awake while I was in these states.

My first encounter with the entity seemed like just another horrible nightmare. In the dream, I walked down the hallway from my bedroom into the living room; I was wearing the exact pajamas I had gone to sleep in, and the house was exactly the same as we'd left it at bedtime. For one reason or another, I felt the urge to look into the kitchen.

There he was.

The Static Man appeared in the doorway between the dining room and kitchen. He was tall, barely touching the ceiling, and he appeared robed in black. Instead of a head upon his shoulders, there was this great ball of static. The sound buzzed constantly.

I stood there, frozen with fear, staring up at the Static Man. After perhaps a couple seconds he reached out his long, dark arm towards me. Then he seemed to kind of 'float' closer and closer. The buzzing got so loud that it hurt my ears. I remember closing my eyes, scream stuck in my throat... And then I woke up on the couch in the dining room, facing the kitchen.

I told my parents about the dream, but they weren't overly concerned about it. So for a while I just brushed the dream off.

But I wasn't the only one affected by the Static Man. Apparently, my little sister, Catherine, was woken up one night. When she opened her eyes, the Static Man was standing between our beds; 'he' seemed to be looking at her. Catherine, despite her fear, got angry with the Man. "Get out of here! God will be angry if you don't leave us alone!" Then, in a flash of bright light, the Static Man was gone. Catherine settled herself back into bed, and slept peacefully the rest of the night.

It should be mentioned that Cat would hear and see things in the Vernon house. Shadows would play in her peripheral vision, and voices would call our names. One time, when we were playing in the backyard, she looked into the alley behind our gate and saw these kids standing a way's away. They called to her, promising her a good time. She ran into the house, and didn't tell me why until years later.

For many years after Cat's bravery, I didn't have any encounters with the Static Man. My mom moved us to Wichita Falls, where she finished her degree in nursing. Dad moved to Abilene. We started going to a Catholic School. My sleepwalking stopped completely, and for the first time in years I was able to sleep peacefully. Everything, for a while, seemed great.

A couple years later, we moved in with my dad; my mom was trying to save their marriage. A few months after settling into the house, the Static Man appeared again.

I woke up in a cold sweat. The Man was standing beside my bed, leaning over me. All the sudden I was tossed a few inches straight up from the surface of my bed. (I would later try to recreate this movement on my own; I couldn't get off the surface of the bed from my position) Then something pinned me down by my arms and legs. I felt hands wrap around my neck and start choking me. Trying to fight off this attack, I desperately look around, hoping Cat had been awoken. She hadn't, of course. But I did notice that where I felt 'fingers' grabbing my limbs there were deep depressions in my flesh.

After perhaps a minute or so, I was released, and the Static Man disappeared as quickly as he'd come. For the rest of the night, I lay there wide awake, shaking and gasping.

From then on, every night for about a year I was disturbed in the same way. I was completely drained of energy, my grades fell abruptly, and I violently lashed out at my family (for instance, I actually tried to suffocate my little sister with a pillow). Then I started biting, hitting, and cutting myself just to feel something. I'd even tried to kill myself.

My mom, sister, and I moved into our current apartment after two years of darkness in my dad's 'home'. The Static Man continued to torment me. I tried to talk to my mom about it, but she kept telling me that it was just a dream and that it was a side effect of my new anti-depressant. "If there was something wrong in this house, I'd know about it. I have experience with these things, remember?" She said things like this even when I slept with her and the entire bed shook as the Man attacked. "Caroline, if you keep shaking the bed, I'm kicking you back to your room!"

One night, I just lay in my bed crying, waiting for the Static Man to appear. I pleaded to God for just one night of peace. "Please God, please God, PLEASE God!" I was shaking from fear and exhaustion.

I suddenly felt a wave of peace wash over me. I stopped crying, and closed my eyes. When the Static Man jolted me out of bed, I wasn't afraid. It didn't touch me, didn't buzz... It was the first night in a long time I was able to get a good sleep. "Thank you Jesus!" I remember thinking before I drifted off to sleep.

Ever since then, the Static Man has only visited me once every few weeks. I'm not afraid of going to bed anymore. And 'he' hasn't been able to touch me lately. I believe either his power is weakening, or I'm getting stronger somehow. Although I know I'll probably never be rid of this entity, I know he won't be able to hurt me like he was able to.

As to what exactly the Static Man is... I have no idea. I don't believe he's a human spirit, and he most certainly doesn't resemble any of the 'Nature Spirits' I've encountered. I don't believe he's a manifestation caused by my medication, or even stress, as he appears despite what's going on in my life, and despite whether or not I take my meds. I've tried-- and continue to try-- to research our old house in Quanah, but all attempts have proved fruitless. I DO know that two boys, one of whom lived in the house after we moved, committed suicide for mysterious reasons. Perhaps they're connected, perhaps not. I don't think I'll ever know.

Whatever the Static Man is, I'll continue to fight him, be it through meditation and prayer, or other means if things escalate again. Thank you for reading my incredibly long story! Comments, suggestions, etc., are all welcome, as usual.

Other hauntings by Hoodzy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hoodzy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MaybeADreamer (4 stories) (58 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-17)
"One time, when we were playing in the backyard, she looked into the alley behind our gate and saw these kids standing a way's away. They called to her, promising her a good time. She ran into the house, and didn't tell me why until years later."

What did she tell you about this? Why did she run indoors?
CjZ (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-17)
I too had a similar experience, it was only a one time meeting. I fell asleep on the couch when I awoke it was to a loud buzzing sound only I was no longer on my couch, but instead on a subway bus and across from me was a man bulky guy tall, only his head was static and colorful reds, blues greens flashing with the loud sounds, he was wearing what looked to be a leather brown coat with a white collared shirt and a tie, cacky pants with brown pointed shoes he was slouched what scared me was when he suddenly look towards me like he sensed I was there,. It was probably the most terrifying spirit I ever came in contact with. I woke up instantly but the static sound was loud like it followed me back I got into bed and held my wife, but after that I never heard that sound or had that dream again, it was so real. I was curious to know if I was the only one who experienced this so I googled the static man and found this post.
champion (3 stories) (172 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
Hoodzy, stay strong and keep doing what your doing it seems to be working. It seems like when turmoil is in our lives that's when these things happen, whether its our minds inventing them as a way to have something to blame or if its a time when we are weak that entities attack it is always very terrifying and drains you physically and mentally. It sounds as though your faith in God has given you some power to fight back. Jesus sais that if you have faith the size of a grain of mustard seed you could move a mountain. So keep the faith and fight on.

Champion
ladymoondust (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-25)
so this thing could fisicly hurt you. That sends red flags up...
Hoodzy (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-08)
Gizzy- Yes, I actually posted this story on the PRS forums.

I agree that it very well could be a manifestation of negative feelings. Although I wasn't aware of everything that was going on in my family at the time, I did on occasion know something was up. Then again, is the human body able to contort itself like that? I'll have to look this up, because that would be completely awesome if it could 😆

Epic_fail- Pretty much. To be honest, our entire family wasn't supposed to have happened. It's all because Mom got pregnant with my brother that they got married to begin with. Dad's a very selfish, narcissistic individual, so anything that doesn't directly benefit him he'll fight until he can get out of it.

That's a VERY interesting theory! I hadn't considered my dad to be the root of the problem at all! I...just assumed he was a Mega-Jerk, haha!

Bacchaegrl- Really? I'll have to look into this! I haven't heard anything else about Static Men.

Redphx- Alright, we're all entitled to our opinions. But I would appreciate if you'd explain why you call BS on my story?
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
I call BS on this story. Sorry but I don't believe a thing you are saying. I think you need to report this some where else, this is not a place to chalk up urban legends.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Gizzy, I know what you mean. I hear stories about static men all the time, but I never have heard of an explanation or theory behind them. I've had a few friends that have told me they were afraid of a TV static man. I've read many stories about static men that look like they're made up of fuzzy TV channels. It's quite a strange phenomenon. I read about it a lot, but I have yet to really research it.
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Hoodzy: you said your father got, "tired of being a dad"?

I have a theory that it might be something that manifested as a result oof your father's confusions and frustrations. He couldn't, wouldn't, didn't deal with them, and so with no supervision the became The Static Man.

Then again, you also did say that a young boy commited suicide for unknown reasons. The Static Man may have been there before your family even moved in, and actually helped to facilitate your father's frustrations. Those feelings could have been making The Static Man stronger, and adding your fear into the equation... It may have been too much to resist.

Then again, I may also be completely off base. But I do hope you find out what he is, and what is causing him to attack you so that you can find a permenant solution.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Might be a Principality... Who knows? God knows. Set up a camera at night and see if you get anything.
johntravis28 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Hi Hoodzy. Amazing story here. Going straight into my favourites. I have never heard anything like it before. I can't really offer any advice except just remember this is YOUR world and he is trespassing in it. You are in charge here not him, so make sure to keep telling him so!
Gizzy (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-31)
Hi Hoodzy,

I apologise if I sound like a complete moron but have you posted this story on another ghost site? I only ask as there are bells ringing in the back of my memory about Static Man and I can picture him. When I started reading the story it was very familiar to me and I do not know why. Which of course is driving me crackers.
Please do not be offended but my thoughts leaned towards this being a manifestation of all the pent up feelings that you and your sister and your mum were feeling at the time with all the uncertainty surrounding your parents marriage. Especially because your mum would not recognise it even when the bed was shaking (I mean really how much more evidence do you need) and it came back when your mum moved you all back in to try to get the marriage to work. But now I am not sure as you had bruises left from the attacks.
So all I will say is it seems to be working is carry on and I will rack my brain for why this story is so familiar.
eliroberts12 (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
That is really wierd that he kept attacking you but I like the part where your sister yells get out of here to the static man and he left amazing 😊 😆
Louise21 (3 stories) (33 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
I don't believe in demons myself I believe you create your own demons subconsciously. The worst of the times this 'static man' was making direct contact with you was when your father was around and he doesn't sound like the nicest man in the world with all due respect I know he's your dad but you said he gave his wife, the mother of his children, your mother, a time frame to get on and get out, that's a little bit mean...

And you said you let your family know about this 'static man's' visits and they didn't do anything about it? Considering you do sleep walk maybe it was just bad dreams like when you said whilst sleeping with your mom she said "if you keep shaking the bed, I'm kicking you into your own room" speaking as a mother she obviously monitored your sleeping without you knowing and didn't see any static man or any harm being done.

If this is as much of a common occurrence as your saying have you recorded your sleeping pattern's.? If I were you I would record myself sleeping and if anything shows up at least you could find a professional to help you find answers. It sounds very frightening and I do apologise if I have offended in anyway I tend to go on a bit...

Il light a candle for you that this 'Static a**hole' leaves you be... ❤
Hoodzy (2 stories) (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
Thank you all for your encouragement! 😳

Ladmoondust- Yes, actually. I had bruises on my arms where it felt like fingers dug in, and they were very tender.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
Well said lynrinth, this girl has got the right idea. Whatever he tries, he'll never again affect you like he did before. You just keep on keepin' on! 😊
ladymoondust (2 stories) (41 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
when he touched you did he leave any marks just out of curosity? 😕
lynrinth (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
You go girl! You are completely doing the right thing. Being strong! You are definitely overcoming your fears. How amazing is that! By prayer, and standing your ground, you are taking back your power, so to speak. You are conquering your fears. I wonder how many of us would ever be that strong when faced with something like that. By doing what you said you are, you may be rid of this yet. I whole heartedly wish the every best for you.
Swa (21 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-28)
You've got real guts. Keep him ignoring and praying until he gets off fully. Nice to hear you safe.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: