You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man On The Highway

Real Ghost Stories

Man On The Highway

 

This event took all of the skepticism out of me. Here is what occured:

This happened back in 1993. I was driving home with my girlfriend after a date to the movies. It was late on a cold, clear January night. There were no clouds. There was no fog. It was about 12:30 a.m. As we approached a hill, I pulled into the slow lane and just as I merged there was a man in the middle of my lane! He was wearing a white t-shirt, blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a red baseball hat. He had his head down and was walking briskly with his hands in his pockets. When I say he was in the middle of my lane, I mean he was no more than twenty or thirty feet from the middle of my hood! I was traveling about 45 mph and was about to hit this man! Horrifying!

Before I could react and hit my brakes, my girlfriend screamed. I shut my eyes, broke hard, and entered into a skid. She kept screaming and became hysterical. I felt shivers and chills all through my body. Pure terror! When we came to a stop in the middle of the highway, it was bitter cold inside the compartment of the car. We could see our breath and the windows were covered with condensation on the inside. Granted it was about 25 degrees outside, but we had been driving for about a half an hour and the heater had it nice and toasty in the car.

The battery was drained and the lights were dimmed and the car would not start for a couple of minutes. When it did, we sped off and drove as fast as we could to our homes. My girlfriend was so hysterical she could not speak! When she was able to speak she told me (and her pastor, my family, and her family) that we did indeed hit the man, but that he walked straight through the car! That night, we returned to the spot of the incident (with reinforcements, of course!) to make sure we had not killed anyone. All was well and we returned home to try and get some sleep.

This occurred when I was in college and I would not talk about this until recently. I am 40 years old now, and this is as fresh in my memory as if it happened last night, not 18 years ago. I know this sounds like stories you see on tv from other people telling their stories, but it happened. I know what I saw, felt, and experienced that night. It made me a believer in the spirit world and I am still dealing with "what was that" to this day. When I bump into my old girlfriend now, this topic comes up each time. It has profoundly affected her life as well.

Since this incident I have heard of this happening in this location to two other people and they have had the exact same experience. It is a mystery who or what this is as there is no physical description of this person or story of an accident that I can find to coincide with a person fitting this description. The top of this hill is a blind hill on a curve and there have been several people killed there in auto accidents over the years. That is all I have been able to learn.

I have had a couple of other experiences since that time, but not as up close and personal as this. I have to drive this stretch of highway each to and from work. Not a trip goes by that I don't remember this encounter. I guess I should feel lucky that this entity did not attach and follow one of us home.

Other hauntings by nowabeliever

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nowabeliever, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Patrick020926 (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
You should watch out for ghosts that throw themselves in front of cars. It occurs often at night and even though it has not happened to me I can tell it's extremely disturbing and scary. 😐
pbpepsi1 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-28)
man on the highway writer,,, can you please give me a location and a email for you, I have had a simalar experience in arkansas may 3, 91 and am looking for information on it. Thanks,,,pbpepsi1 [at] aol.com
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
nowabeliever,
Thank you for coming back and straightening that issue out. I guess I can uncross my fingers now. And my faith in man's humanity has been restored. It did seem like it had begun to stir up a controversy though. I'm just glad you did the right thing at the time.
Can't wait to hear more of your experiences. And thanks again for sharing.

Jav
nowabeliever (2 stories) (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
Guys...thanks for all the comments... Let me clarify that I did get out and check. My car would not start, and we were scared, but we got out anyway... There was nothing! I was two miles from my house, so we were back within 5-10 minutes to take a second look. I was with my parents, I was scared s***less! As for time/conditions of the other sightings, I don't know... I think one of them was around October and the other person has since passed away, so I can't really find out. Cell phones really were not available and there was no service where we lived anyway (remember 15 lb. Bag phones! It was in those days) and my house was closer than the nearest pay phone. I think we went above and beyond the call of duty as far as checking to make sure someone was not hurt. Anyway, thanks for reading my story and all the positive feedback. I have had a couple of other experiences that I will share when I have more time to write!
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-19)
I agree that there would have been damage to the car. Even hitting someone as a low speed can cause some sort of ding in the body of the car. I don't think that I would have gotten out to investigate. I may have turned the car around to look. Nope! Knowing myself I would have sped up and left there so fast. Thinking that maybe I did hit a person but I would be too afraid that it was a serial killer or something waiting in the bushes to pounce once I got out of the car. So yeah I would have came back with reinforcements too. I wouldn't have gotten out right away to look. Too scary and it puts the driver in danger.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-19)
Moongrim - Honestly, it's probably better that he doesn't do that. People going looking for this spirit could be just as dangerous, if not more so, than reacting to it as he did. Plus, if they know the location, they could say, "oh, that's just the spirit" and keep going without even slowing down only to find out it was a live person!

Robertar - haunted locations (i.e. Homes, hotels, woods, etc) is one thing. A haunting on the open road is another. Revealing the exact location of those can be dangerous for the driver and a LIVE pedestrian.

Javelina - If a person is going 45MPH (OK, say 20MPH by time he slammed on the breaks), he would have felt a person hit the middle of the car's hood. The person probably would have flown up against the windshield. There very likely would have been damage to the car and blood. Both he and his parents would have been freaking out big time. Am I saying that he shouldn't have got out of the car to look? No. However, I would have been quite scared at the time. I might have looked in the rear view mirror and side mirrors. Perhaps even turned to look through the back window, but I'm not sure I would have gotten out of the car. He did, however, do the right thing by returning to the place the incident occurred later that night; with reinforcements (I assume he means his parents). He implies that there was no evidence of someone having been hurt. Cell phones were very much a luxury item in those days. Depending on how much traffic there is on that road at that time on a winter night, it could have been 30+ minutes before another car passed. So, going home and coming back out with (again, I assume) his parents was a viable option in my opinion.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-11)
I have to agree with Miracles and Jav--that was the first thing that came to mind when I read this story. Was there any reason you did not get out and check to see if there was a person? Or if this person was okay? Were you immediately certain that this was a paranormal experience or did you figure it out while you were recovering on the side of the road? I would have been hysterical if I were your lady friend too. I get enough of a terrible feeling if I have a close brush with nearly hitting an animal, but to hit a person? Someone very dear to me was killed by a semi when I was young, and ever since then I have been ultra-paranoid about crosswalks and residential areas.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-11)
nowabeliever, this is a truly amazing ghost story. I just wanted to touch on a particular part where you said your girlfriend said she saw the car hit him, but he walked straight through the car! I can understand why she was so hysterical. Your eyes were closed as you came to a screeching hault, but she seemed to have hers wide open. The temperature change and battery drain is a common occurance when paranormal activity is present. Miracles brought up an interesting theory about it being a residual haunting under the same conditions and time of year. I would also like to know if the other sightings happened around the same time. Thanks for sharing this with us. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-11)
Jav - you have made a very good point. I've been sitting here for quite awhile thinking about your comment and actually wondering if I was wrong about my original assessment.

I've also been sitting here trying to imagine what it would be like to hit a grown man, even slowing to a skid from 45 mph. There would had to have been a thud. I know from having hitting a deer at less than 10 mph (stupid deer) there is no mistaking the impact.

I'm in no way saying I think your points were invalid. I hope everyone who reads this would immediately stop, under any circumstances, and check to see if they have hit a living person. In my opinion, though, this one, thank God, was a ghost.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-11)
nowabeliever,
I agree with the others that your experience was truly a frightening one, and puzzling too.
My only problem is your reaction at the scene. You say the battery was drained slightly and the headlights dimmed. That makes sense if we're talking paranormal encounter. However, in all the confusion you forgot one important thing. You don't mention getting out of the vehicle to search for this person. I don't get it. Maybe I read the story wrong, maybe I you left that part out. I certainly hope that's the case~fingers crossed here~. You must understand, where I come from, what you did was leave the scene of an accident. You committed a hit-and-run on a pedestrian. Whether he was actually a sentient being at the time this occurred was not a call you could really trust your instincts on.
In all the confusion of screeching brakes, screaming girlfriend, your eyes closed as you put your foot down hard on the brake pedal, coming onto a blind hill going 45mph merging into the slow lane, and coming to a stop where the engine dies? Did it occur to you that it might be a good idea to at least have a look see? Get out and walk along the roadside listening for someone moaning in pain? Check for blood on the grill of the car? Maybe a shoe in the road? At 45mph you could easily have knocked this guy out of his shoes.
I'm holding back judgement on this one until the author replies, I've lost friends who were hit by fast moving vehicles in the dark of night. My sister was hit by a man who then sped away. She was thrown into the air, hit a telephone pole and on her way down took out a row of mail boxes. She was 13 years old, no ID on her person. Just walking to a friends house. By the time anyone put two and two together, she was nearly dead. She survived, thankfully, but when I read some one's account with a person on the road that they were sure they hit, and they don't get out and look for the victim? I get a little itchy.

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
13 years ago (2011-07-09)
nowabeliever - this is one of the best ghost stories I've read lately. I have to admit, this would have scared me to death. I often wonder, when I'm driving late at night, what I'd do in that situation. After reading your story, I'll be thinking about it a lot more I'm sure 😆.

You said you've heard of two other people who have also seen him. Do you know if the conditions the same as when you and your ex-girlfriend saw him? The date, the time, the weather, etc. You also said you travel that road to and from work every day, but you've never seen him again. What I'm leading to is a residual haunting that occurs only when those exact conditions occur.

Curious that I am, I think I'd go out the next time those conditions were exactly the same, or as close as they could be, and see if he appears. Unless, of course, you've already ruled out that theory 😆.

I enjoyed your story so much I read it twice and recommended it to some friends. I also put it in my favorites. Welcome to YGS.
robertar (223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
The map thing is an interesting idea. I have wondered why more people don't make a Google Earth collection/forum of haunted locations so people can better study the phenomena.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
That is a really creepy experience from the sounds of it. I have never experienced anything like that. I don't think I have ever been able to see an aparation without it being out of the corner of my eye, and by the time I look towards it, its gone.

Peace
JustCurious
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
How scary! I would have been so nervous that I hit an actual person. I am wondering if you saw a residual haunting not something that was intelligent. Perhaps this man was killed on the highway and the event just keeps repeating.

Thank you for sharing!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
Well I'd recommend that you make a map of the location or download one off the net. If anything else by detailing it- you may be able to prevent someone else from having an accident similiar to the one you had- if folks knew about that stretch of road ahead of time. Post it online, here even, if a ghost is haunting that stretch others can investigate.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
I think highway phantoms are very interesting, if not a really dangerous road hazard. Thanks for sharing this one with us. It was quite vivid. Wonder what happened to that spirit. You probably can't just go out and research a stretch of highway, but I bet a very interesting story lies waiting there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: