You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Highway Q Phantom

Real Ghost Stories

The Highway Q Phantom

 

This story dates back a couple of years, at least three years back by this point but I remember the events clear as day. It was during spring break, so somewhere around mid-March. I had driven a friend back to their house in Waukesha and had taken Highway 164 north to where it intersected with Highway Q and turned towards Menomonee Falls where I and the other friend of mine in the car live at.

Highway Q is a relatively busy road during the day but at night it can be dark and gloomy in between settled areas. We came up on the town of Colgate, which is a really small town. The train tracks are on the East end and we had just crossed them. We were doing about 45 miles per hour on the stretch between the tracks and Bass's Country Market. After Bass's there is an intersection for Town Line Road and a BP Station.

Memory fails me as to exactly where along that stretch we were, but there was another car coming in the oncoming lane and I had just switched off my high beams when I noticed a shape in the road ahead. It looked to be a human shape, and a regular human height but maybe just a bit taller. The shape was pure black and I had enough illumination from the other vehicle coming to notice that I couldn't pick out any distinguishable features. It didn't walk, no, it moved like it was gliding and went straight across my lane and into the corn field on the south side of the road. This was before we crossed Town Line Road.

I was carrying on a conversation at the time and my first instinct was to pause and look but my friend who was with is extremely sensitive to spirits. I had been really sleep deprived that week and I didn't want to look like I was completely nuts so I kept on talking like nothing had happened.

About a quarter minute after we had passed where it had been though she says "Did you see that?" I knew at that moment that I had seen my first apparition. We had the heat on in the car because it was still cold out in March of that year. The heat was not at full blast by any means, but my car heats pretty well on the low setting. For the next couple miles down the road it was ice cold in the vehicle and the heat was on.

But wait, there's more.

About a week later the same friend and I parked down on Colgate Road near where the road ends and a small park begins. We were looking for more clues as to what we had seen. My friend and I walked towards the train tracks and a fog rolled in from seemingly nowhere. It was so thick that seeing much of anything became a challenge, and yet down the tracks we could see a light. It was nearby and looked like a lantern light almost. We turned and ran for the car at which point I discovered upon turning the ignition that it was having troubles starting. It finally did after a few minutes.

I've heard numerous theories about what the "Highway Q Phantom" (that's what I named it) might actually be. Some have said it was an accident victim from a crash (which I'm sure there have been a few along that stretch), some have gone as far as to say it was a fallen angel potentially. Whatever the case, I'd love to hear your input and theories! Thank you!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, savannahbelle029, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

hante (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-05-11)
I was driving on a country road in Palmyra, Wisconsin, it was around 1:00 AM, and I had seen these two pure black things swirling around each other in the distance. I immediately stopped my car, beside a cemetery on the side of the road, when I had gotten close to them in order to get a look at these two pitch-black things that were intertwining with each other in a sort of dance. Anyway, I flashed my high beams at them and suddenly they separated from each other, then they stood still for a few seconds before they disappeared into the ground. That freaked me out.

It's not the first time I've seen pure, pitch-black things. My friends and even strangers have pointed to this pitch-black figure that stands behind me and a bit off to my side. I know there is something there because at times I can feel it. I would like to know what it is because whenever I feel it, it brings with it intense dread, sorrow, sadness, hopelessness, and every other negative feelings and emotions. I can't stand it.

I've had many other experiences as well. I should probably submit my experiences here on this site.
savannahbelle029 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-08)
A shadow person sounds like a completely logical explanation, and that is true that they are far more common indoors than outside. The fact that the headlights were distinctly upon it however and it still looked like a black solid pillar of darkness gliding across the road makes me think that is probably what it was. I frankly never knew that shadow people existed outside too, if that's truly what it was.
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-06)
Savannabelle, I don't know much about these things, but it sounds like a shadow man to me. Though you usually hear about those in homes, standing next to beds. It's still a total mystery to me what these things are and maybe that's not it at all. Perhaps some apparitions also appear dark. Interesting sighting though.

Thanks for sharing your story.
DandK
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
Savannahbelle, your experience is the reason I am petrified of driving on country roads. When you look in the mirror and all you see is complete darkness behind you it freaks me out. I call them "Tales From The Darkside Roads" 😨 At least you had your friend with you and she saw the figure also. It is great when you have validation. You both were brave to go back and investigate. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-03)
savannahbelle - even as a kid I have always been afraid of something like that happening to me 😨 Yours is the second story this week about having vehicle trouble when there is suspected paranormal activity LOL

I'm glad your friend was able to validate your experience. Sometimes that makes things better, knowing we aren't the only one who witnessed something, especially the first sighting of an apparition.

Thanks for sharing this 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: