You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: In The Beginning - Same Culprit?

Real Ghost Stories

In The Beginning - Same Culprit?

 

In The Beginning - Same Culprit?

My first experience occurred when I was 13, and it is still in my head as one of the scariest things to have happen to me. I am now 19 and can remember this very, very well.

Before I begin my story, I think I should share with you the short stories of my older sister, and my oldest brother.

The first story happened to my sister who is a couple of years older than me and had her bedroom right next to mine. It was one morning and my sister came running into my room tears running down her face. She woke me up shaking like crazy. Once she stopped crying she was able to finally get out the words she was trying to get out, she told me that she had a dream she slept with her curtains open and she a man standing outside her window holding a stick of bamboo. As she looked at him he raised one knee and snapped the bamboo over his knee. This is when she woke up from her dream to find her curtains closed like she always had it.

The next morning right before she came to me, she had opened her curtains and let the light in to find two half snapped sticks of thin bamboo on her carpet in the middle of her room, which in turn sent her to me. She showed me the bamboo and told me the story so we had a quick look around the house to see if there was anything made of the thin bamboo sticks we found. While at the same time trying to avoid arousing our parent's suspicion (we weren't allowed to talk about ghostly things as kids because our parents didn't want us scaring each other).

Nothing made from bamboo was in our house, that we knew of anyway. I asked my sister what this man looked like in her dream, and she told me he was a tall man, who wore a small top hat and a long dark coat. After asking her the description of the man she saw, I began to feel really freaked out and kind of sick from the spook. I told her that she should go tell our oldest this story and to make sure she describes him as she did to me.

This brings us to around about 2 or 3 months before this event occurred when I was talking to my oldest brother about what I think of as a rather distressing event. First off, it was not my choice to be told this story, but my brother thought I would be the best person to tell, being the youngest of 4 kids. He figured I would spook very easily (which I did). He was telling me that he had a dream that he was in bed and he looked at the foot of his bed to see a tall man standing at his feet facing him.

This was the night before he took me too his room after telling me his story to find two dimples in his carpet (like when you have a dresser or something in the same spot for a long time and it leaves a imprint in carpet) of what looked like two foot prints. Now, it wasn't two clear footprints but it definitely took the shape of them, enough to convince me and scare the life out of me. When my brother described the man to me, he described him the exact same way as my sister did a few months later, a tall man with a small top hat and a long dark coat. This is the reason for me telling my sister to tell our brother about her experience.

I made sure I was a bystander when my two siblings shared their stories. They both suddenly seemed very anxious. This had obviously scared them as much as it had scared me, which in turn freaked me out a lot more. Was this the same man they both saw? Who is he, and what business does he have with our house and my brother and sister? We had always felt very, very creeped out by our hallway which had all 3 of my sibling's bedrooms branching off it, along with the bathroom and laundry. But we always thought it was just because we're kids and our minds imagine all kinds of things. But as we have all gotten older, we have been lead to believe that there is more to it than just a creepy feeling.

Now, I always thought back then that this was my siblings playing a cruel trick on my just to try and scare me, but to this day they both swear on their lives these experiences are the truth. Today, I have very good relationships with all of my siblings, and I sure believe them when they tell me this is true, I just think there is more to it rather than just random sights of the same man.

This takes me to the next year when I was 13, my very first experience. I was in bed, and I was in that stage when you're not quite asleep but not quite awake, I'm sure everyone knows that stage I mean. Anyway, I was in this stage and I was getting close to sleep when I heard laughter of a child, maybe around the same age as me. This made my eyes spread wide, and tore me right out of any sleep I might have been close to. I thought immediately it was just because I was almost asleep and I was beginning to dream but, now that I was wide awake I heard the laughter again. This is when I began to get really scared. I pulled my blankets higher to cover most of my face when I heard the child's laughter turn to words. He said to me "Come on Ben, come and play with us. We'll wait out the back for you".

Just as this voice spoke to me I pulled the blanket over my head and shut my eyes tight as I felt a fear I had never felt before. As I shivered with fear I heard a much older, gentler female voice say to me "No Ben, you're not allowed to play now. Don't listen to him, he's a bad influence. Just go to sleep".

Not knowing what else to do, I covered my ears and shut my eyes so all I could hear was the air circulating around in my hands and ears. And at the time, just sung a favorite song of mine in my head, which is whatever I would do if I was scared. After the female voice, I heard nothing else, it didn't last long as was not a very loud experience, but it felt like it lasted hours. Eventually I wore myself out and fell asleep to of course, had bad dreams all night. I woke up the next day and told both my sister and my oldest brother about it (my other brother was never involved with these things as he thought the idea of ghosts was ridiculous). Surprisingly, they both believed me and actually sympathized with me which was not something I got very often from them. To this day, I still remember that night so crystal clear in my mind and gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

I would love to hear what people get from these stories and am always welcome to input from readers. I hope it was interesting enough to continue reading the other stories I'm going to post soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Alphabet11, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-29)
I was tempted to post this before in a different story mentioning this man in a long dark/black coat.

There's a song by Bob Dylan that has been performed by several other bands such as ELP and Steve Hackett. Maybe Bob was referencing a story that a sister or other relative told him at some point?

Http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/man-in-the-long-black-coat
Alphabet11 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate it all.
I have spoken to my siblings, and they still insist the stories are real, and yeah I actually do believe them. I trust them like that. I think by now they would have confessed up, considering it is no longer scaring me. I believe it.

Geetha50
Me and my siblings have discussed those kinds of things to my parents, they kind of just blow it off and think we're stupid for believing such things. Which really frustrates me, but I guess until something happens to them, they will never believe.
My brother and sister have told them their stories and have got the same reaction "Kids imagining things" but I haven't told my story to them because I know they'll say the exact same thing.

I could imagine that there would be a lot of similar stories with this tall guy in it. When I think about a scary figure, that would be something I would think of, but as for a connection with them all, who knows.

I also noticed people mentioning gaurdians, and I completely agree. I have been told by a few people that are mediums that everyone has three guardian angels, which I don't find so hard to believe. And I think that the female voice I heard is my farther's mother. I've always thought she is one of my guardian angels. She died not long before I was born and throughout my whole life I've always been told that she would have loved me to death because she's always cherished the youngest our of her kids, and the same for grandchildren. So, I do believe she is watching over me and taking care of me. But I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

As far as our house history goes, we built our house on empty land my parents bought when she only had their first 2 kids. I don't know of any previous buildings at our sight, our suburb has always been a very secluded suburb but has recently turned very popular. I don't know much else about it really, but I'm trying to find our more.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
DARKNESS ~ There has to be more than one, I mean it could be that was simply the style of the time when they came into existence, or something like that?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Yeh was thinking about that awhile ago actually DragonStorm I would definitely have to say that there is more then just the one out there, unless he gets around a bit and has a big cupboard full of cloaks and differant hats!lol! But hey who really knows? 😕
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Do you guys actually think it is just one entity tho? It could be like a "faction" or group that all dress the same?

I've heard a few stories with the same description of the hat and coat and I always wondered if there was a whole group of them...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-21)
Yep that's right as bacchaegrl mentioned there is probably a thousand stories of this guy on this site always to be wearing a top hat or Fedora or something similar. Have always wondered what his story is all about, besides scaring the crap out of people I think he thrives of it perhaps who knows, although over half the time he is never malevolent. Has always stumped me! 😕
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
The cloaked top hat man is at it again. Boy, he gets around. D/A is right, there are tons of these stories. You're certainly not alone. It is curious as to what this thing is, and why so many people encounter it.
winx717 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
All I can think about when I hear about these "entities," with the long coat and top hat, is that demon from Discovery Channel's "A Haunting in Connecticut". I know it was just a show, but perhaps the family's description of the demon played a role in how they portrayed it?

Anyhow, I am not saying that I believe these entities are in fact demons, but as DeviousAngel said, "There are actually volumes of stories on this site involving a man in a cloak and a top hat". I just wonder if there is some connection. That's all!

Thank you for sharing your story Alphabet11 - it has me thinking! 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Alphabet11,

Thank you for sharing this creepy experience! There are actually volumes of stories on this site involving a man in a cloak and a top hat. I am not sure if this is a specific entity or if negative entities in general take this form because it somehow spooks us. As for the bamboo, I am really not sure what to make of that, except that it seems a pretty effective scare tactic.
sarahmariacecilia (3 stories) (105 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Wow, what a strange series of events! The bamboo is definitely strange... I wonder if the bamboo has any significance in telling the identity of who the man could be, somehow? Maybe try looking up the history of your home and even the surrounding area. It also seems you have a guardian watching over you (the female voice) so take comfort in that. As far as the footprints - I have had the same thing happen to me outside the doorway of my old roommates room, and it is very jarring, isn't it? 😢 Good luck on your search for an explaination! Thanks for the story!

Sarah
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so bear with me,
You said that your siblings like scaring you as you were the youngest of four, so:

For your sister's story,
Couldn't she have put the bamboo sticks on the floor before coming to you? Couldn't she have acted to make you scare?

For your brother's story,
Couldn't your brother put a big shoe in that place and left it there for awhile before showing it to you? Also, could your brother have acted his emotions to scare you?

Also, couldn't your brother and sister gotten together to play this prank on you?

These are some questions that I would ask but if you feel that your brother and sister were telling the truth then that is all that counts.

As for your experience,
The laughter and voice of the boy could have been a bad spirit that was going though your house and decided to taunt you. The voice of the woman could have been your guide or protector.

Playing a devil's advocate again:
For your experience,
Could it have been your brother and sister playing a prank on you. I would think that by now, they would know that you would be scared sh*tless, so they would know that you would pull your blanket over your head and wouldn't look around the room.

I'm not saying that I'm not believing your story but I'm the type of person who would debunk the stories before saying that they are of the paranormal state. So, I have provided some questions to think about.

Also, I forgot to ask you. You mentioned, "we weren't allowed to talk about ghostly things as kids because our parents didn't want us scaring each other." Now that you are older, have you mentioned these events to your parents and what did they have to say about it?
Alphabet11 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Jamesrobiscoe
This is actually all I know about of this man appearing or anything like that. So I am really not sure what the deal is. Also, there is another post I am currently writing that will give a little bit more information about my house and in particular the "spooky hallway" we have always feared as kids. Nothing that is obviosuly directing to this man, but still may have some connection that is not as obvious.

87calais
I have heard that when hearing such things as that, ignoring it is always the best way to go. Especially being that young, all I could do is be scared. I believe that the voices will not harm me as I have a lot of confidence in my guardian angels that I feel very strongly about which will be brought up and talked about more in future posts.

Thanks guys for writing and I appreciate the opinions. Hope you keep reading.
87calais (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
alphabet11 could you please ask your siblings if this man had a goatee as I have seen this entity that matches that description.Don't worry about the voices they won't harm you. Just ignore them.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-19)
Alphabet111--Is there background history available to you of the house and land? It seems more than coincidence the same male image would appear to the three of you, not to mention physical evidence of two types. Too elaborate for a sibling hoax since you read the genuiness of their emotions plus the duration of the story. What seems curious is that the man ceases to appear and replaced by a boy and woman, who also do not seem to remain. Their phraseology seems correct for an era in sync with the man's attire, but the question you muzt have is "Why?" Were they all three warning you three separately of some impending danger that might be fatal (snapped bamboo, "come to play with me" (yeah, over on the other side, while the mother says in effect "it's not his time."
Are there are stories about them--or others--we can look forward to? Maybe people here will be able to connect some dots for your better understanding.
Thanks for writing. ~ James

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: