You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Followed By The Shadow Of A Man

Real Ghost Stories

Followed By The Shadow Of A Man

 

I'm typically a brave person when it comes to the everyday battles. But there's one war that I just cannot seem to conquer. It's a factor in my life, that I can no longer ignore, no matter how much I wish to. I have recently faced a truth that has been needed to be brought into check a long time ago.

Looking back, my experiences started when I was only 8 years old. I distinctly remember having a nightmare in which a shadow of a man emerged from the veil over my closet. (Instead of doors, I had a sheer white curtain.) The man came over to my bed, and just stood there staring at me. I didn't know what to do, I didn't speak or move. I ended up becoming frightened, so I woke up. I layed there for a moment or two and slowly started to look around my room just to make sure nothing was actually there. Finally, I looked over towards my closet and out of the corner of my eye I saw something retreat back into the veil. Of course, I was eight and I was freaked out. But even then I had enough sense to know that it was probably just the aftershock of the nightmare I had just had. So I dismissed it.

Since then though, I had begun to experience unusual phenomenon where ever I went. We moved out of that house when I was 13. I was relieved since by that time I just believed it to be the house that was haunted. We moved in with my mother's boyfriend at the time, and everything was peaceful. For a while.

Not long after just getting settled into this new home, I had begun to hear strange sounds in the house. They sounded like someone walking down the hall in sturdy boots. I believed it to be my Mother's boyfriend, since he wore those kinds of boots all the time. Until I was in the house alone while everyone had gone to the store.

I was sitting in my room listening to some music, when all of a sudden I heard a bedroom door slam shut, and the same boots walk slowly down the hall. At this point I believed myself to be crazy. This couldn't possibly be the second haunted house that I have lived in, could it? What were the odds?!

A few months passed and we ended up moving just 5 minutes or so away into a cozy little townhouse. At this point in time, I had tried to forget all about the mysterious sounds and experiences that I had been having and focus on what was going on in the present. I had just begun to feel safe and comfortable in our new home, when my mother and her boyfriend decided they wanted to go out on a date one night. I thought nothing of it, it was no big deal!

Around 9pm I went up to my room and tried to go to sleep. My bed was positioned in a corner of my room diagonal to the doorway. If the door was open just enough, you could see part of my mother's room as well. I laid down, and just as my eyes were getting heavy I heard a loud noise come from downstairs. Although startling, I realized that it was probably only my Mother and her boyfriend coming back in from their date. So I tried shutting my eyes again.

I opened my eyes and looked out into the hallway and saw a full figured shadow of a man step out of my Mother's room and walk past my room. Still thinking that my Mother had come home earlier, I believed the shadow to be her boyfriend. It was around the same height, and body build. So it made sense. A few minutes later the figure walked back by, and into my Mother's room. Still not thinking anything of it, I fell asleep.

The next morning I got up and went down stairs to see my Mom. She was sitting at the table, and after exchanging our goodmornings, I asked: "So, what time did you and Jack get home last night?" Her answer scared me, as she replied: "Oh around 12:30am or so. I was going to tell you goodnight, but you were already asleep!" At this point I went cold. Then what I had I seen the night before?

I lived in that townhouse until I graduated from high school. All the while still experiencing random occurrences in the house. I had started to become used to it, honestly. Every now and again you would be sitting downstairs and hear a sound that was similar to someone running down the hall (upstairs) stopping and then slamming a door. Other "normal" activity that would happen were things like: lights turning on and off, doors slamming, scratching, items moving, and of course the feeling that I was ALWAYS being watched. Of course I asked my family if they had seen or heard anything strange happening in the house we currently lived in or in any of the other houses. No one had anything out of the ordinary to report. At this point, I really believed that I had some incredibly bad luck with houses and hauntings.

After graduation, not too long ago. I moved to Raleigh with my Aunt, her husband and her 3 year old son. We have only lived here for about 2 weeks. I have a job as a nanny for Isaac. (My aunts son.) I was so excited about being out of my home town, and in a new house for that matter. Except not too long after moving in, the experiences had started up again.

The main activity is the sound of things dropping in another room. I've already had some more intense dealings with this spirit (or whatever it may be). Just yesterday I was sitting downstairs watching TV, when I heard a loud bang come from the other side of the house. Being used to this sort of thing, I didn't panic. But then something happened that really shook me up. Right after hearing the noise, I heard a pair of boots (or what sounded like boots) walking across the kitchen floor and stopping right next to the living room, where I was sitting.

But my main experience occurred not 3 days ago. I had put Isaac down for a nap, and was downstairs just doing some house work. I went to go open the refrigerator door and when I did, the bottle of wine that had been laying in there since we had moved (that no one had touched, by the way) seemed to just fly out at me and drop to the floor hitting my shin and foot as it fell. It did not break, but it left a nasty bruise on my shin. This is the first time that I have ever been harmed in any way by whatever is here.

The frightening truth that I have come to face is, maybe it's not the houses that are haunted. Maybe it's me. Has something attached itself to me? I really do not know what to think at this point. But this reasoning that I have come up with, is the only thing that makes sense. I'm curious about the ghost or spirit, but I'm too frightened to do anything about it. (ie: ask questions, provoke it, etc). I have heard too many stories about how these types of things have only made the situation worse.

Is this going to follow me for the rest of my life?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hannah_H, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-17)
Rook, I use a similar method. I used to use a candle to focus on also, but nowadays I forgo the candle as I no longer need it to focus on. My sphere is blue. It's just always been that way since the first time I tried to visualize the light surrounding my body. (my old hippy friend taught me this many years ago to try to get me to successfully turn OFF to finally get real sleep for a change lol). I always thought I was defective until I realized hey, if it's blue, it's just going to stay blue forever, it works for me:-).
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-17)
Hannah_H: You seem to attract these spirits to you, you are a beacon in the light to them! I am sorry you have to experience all of this, you need to find a way to close the door to that part of you.

Do you have anyone you can speak to, perhaps in your family who will understand what you are going through, perhaps someone that experiences this aswell?
If not, people that specialise in these matters psychics etc may be able to help you. The shielding Rook explained is a great way to keep things at bay for a good while. Please keep us updated and all the best to you!

Rook lol my excuse is because your advice is well detailed and easy to follow. It is the same one I would advise people with, I actually remember "Whitbuffalo" saying pretty much the same one to me a few years ago!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
bri_bewitched (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-17)
i also believe a cleansing and shielding would be best. Especially due to the fact that you were physically harmed by it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-16)
Hello,

It seems Indigo and others, including myself, agree and a Cleansing and Shielding may be in order for you and your current residence.

Please try this...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

My only question is this... Why I'm I the only one posting the 'How To' for this sort of thing... I can't possibly have the 'only' ritual for this sort of thing...

Respectfully,

Rook
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
I have to agree with Indigo on this one. No, this Spirit that is haunting you will not keep harming/harassing you when you finally "stand up to it". Basically like Indigo said.
You are not alone.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
polterguy973 (8 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
Hannah,
Thats a real creapy story, I have had an encounter with a shadow figure and it scared the hell out of me, I also believe I have had something follow me most of my life, I have daughter whos six, when I lived with her something tied a noose round her neck she was only tiny at the time and was incapable of doing such things,
something broke one of the beams of our burgalur alarm, in our daughters bed room, she used to wake up crying saying there was a scary boy sitting on her, I have since mooved but I'm still experienceing strange happenings, thankfully my daughter isnt,

Its easy to say don't be scared, But I think Indigos advise would be useful, If that dosent work try looking for someone who could do a cleansing ritual on you perhaps, it sounds like a spirit trying to get your atention its latched onto you probably because you are tunned in, I have heard it said that spirits operate on frequencies a bit like a radio, and some people are tunned in to those frequencies more than others,
Good luck keep us posted. 😊
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
Sorry, but I realized that I never gave you a valid way to not feel fear. I use an easy method of envisioning myself in a bubble of my own energy. My bubble is bright blue light. Nothing can enter my bubble. I use this method nightly when I'd like to sleep all night and not get a visitation, when I'm doing a sage ceremony to cleanse homes or people, or when I feel threatened or uncomfortable. Just sit very quietly, calm your mind, focus only on your own spiritual energy inside you. Feel it forming around yourself in a giant blue ball of light that nothing can penetrate or destroy. After a few sessions of learning to focus only on the ball of light you'll be proficient enough to turn it off and on at will whenever you get scared. Just remember to know that the ONLY way it can be penetrated is if you consciously allow it to be. I'm willing to bet that this method will work for you.
Indigo (263 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-15)
It seems to me, that like many others that visit this site, you are fairly young, still in your teens. Many people experience things like this in their teen years, and then it stops. Others have the experiences begin when they are incredibly young (myself and several folks I know started at around age 3 or so) and have the experiences continue for most of their lives. I have heard of both types of these people being called "haunted". I'm not sure if I personally consider those people haunted, but rather born gifted and not capable of controlling these gifts due to lack of understanding and training.
If you fear it, tell it to go away, or to simply stop bothering you, often this simple thing works! Another tip is to realize that fear is nothing more than an emotion. That's right... An emotion and nothing else. You must realize that fear, like anger, sadness, happiness, etc are all only emotions. Emotions can not harm you, personally, but some entities feed off of them. We give them energy by allowing them to affect our emotions. You can stop feeding it by not allowing it to control your emotions for you. When it does something that has always caused you to respond with fear, and you react with fear, it has gotten the response that it desired. It forced you to give it energy, or to 'feed' it. Stop feeding it and it will learn to look for another source of energy.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: