You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Broken Hearted Old Man

Real Ghost Stories

Broken Hearted Old Man

 

This story takes place over a couple years and it has a good "real" back story to it.

It started in 2004.

I was good friends with a kid that we'll name Sam. Across the road from his house was a creepy and abandoned looking house that we used to pretend was haunted. One day Sam got the crazy idea to go into the house, so we went snooping around.

Being we had too many neighbors, I and Sam went around the back to try and get through the back door, which was locked. However, there was a hole in the garage wall. We jumped through the hole and immediately smelled something. It was a dead dog (a German shepherd from what I remember) in the corner of the garage. It looked as if it had been there a few days. The smell was over whelming. We thought it was some sick minded kid from down the lane so we headed back to Sam's house.

That night we tried to teach our self how to pick locks so we could get into the house the next day. We went back first thing in the morning. Our pick lock attempts dramatically failed, but being kids we decided to go and look at the dead dog, this time however, the dog was gone. There was absolutely no trace of a smell, or maggots or anything.

When walking down the driveway of the house we heard a big bump from the garage which scared the hell out of us, and we ran as fast as we could to Sam's house. Unlucky for us, Sam's mum had witnessed us running from the house and told us not to go there.

We asked why and she gave us two excuses.

1. Because it's not your property.

2. Because it's haunted.

Sam's mum was, and still is spiritually inclined. She told us the story of the man who lived there.

For privacy reasons, I will keep the mans real name out.

When the man was alive (I'll call him Mr. Shepherd), his wife gave birth to a daughter. This was the happiest day of his life. His daughter was his pride and joy and he lived for her. His daughter was a rape victim and gave birth to another girl. Shortly after, the daughter died after giving birth. This broke poor Mr. Shepherds' heart. Mr. Shepherd and his wife took to looking after their daughter's child. A few years later, Mr. Shepherd's wife had a stroke and died in the house. No ones sure what it was from, but apparently she took her shoes off and went to walk to the longue before she dropped.

(Sam's mum told me that Mr. Sheppard left his wife's shoes exactly where she took them off... And I can vouch for this soon.)

This broke the other half of Mr. Shephards heart. The only thing he had left in life was his granddaughter. A few years later, when his granddaughter was older, she moved out of home in over to the UK with her boyfriend. Mr. Shepherd acknowledged this and got a dog to keep him company while his granddaughter was gone.

The dog (a German shepherd I believe...), during the day would often sleep in the corner of the garage, and one day it too had a heart attack (I can only presume). This hurt Mr. Shephards heart so bad, and the only thing that was keeping him to the world was his granddaughter.

It was a few years later until he heard from his granddaughter however. And when she said that she didn't want anything to do with him and that she was getting married and wasn't coming back to New Zealand, what was left of poor Mr. Shephards heart was broken there and then. He had a heart attack shortly after while doing the dishes.

After Sam's mum told us this story, we didn't want to have anything to do with that place as we felt sorry for the guy and just wanted him to rest in peace.

The following year I left to a different school and didn't see Sam again until this year (7 years later).

I'm 17 now. I've got a car and everything, and me and Sam, (still being in the same town), decided to check out the house again to rekindle our old friendship. This time, I was a very more adept pick lock. I and Sam pulled up to the house (which looked exactly the same...) we went around the back to the back door, and to our surprise it was open. Someone other than us had thought of the house as haunted within the 7 years that we had nothing to do with it, and broken the door open. However, I don't think those other people made it very far into the house because there was another door adjacent to the back door which someone had tried to kick in, but couldn't open. So I picked this one. When we went in, Old Mrs. Shephards shoes were right by the door next to the table. This sent a chill up my spine as it gave truth to Sams mum's story. Everything in the house was set up as if he was still alive and about to use it. The toilet door was open, bathroom door open, bedroom door open, remote on the coffee table in the lounge. I felt like I was being watched and it was all too real. I had the over whelming felling that I shouldn't be there and it was the same with Sam... So I and Sam left.

It's only been a couple of weeks since we went back in. If you want, I can get photos of the inside and maybe outside of the house and garage, but for Mr. Shephards sake, I'd rather not tell you what the house number, street number or city is.

For my sake, I really want to find out more about this granddaughter and her motives. If she's still alive etc.

I'll keep you posted.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tekuti, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TIGERKING (2 stories) (60 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
Sure is a lot of energy stealers lurking in these forums. You guys need to stop shooting down people if they voice their opinion. All in all your creating bad karma for yourselves, in the real world that is.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
Just a few things. I'll go with a list.

1. This story is obviously fake.
2. The story is not even well written.
3. The author is an a$$.
4. 9-11 is not something you can just make a joke out of. Anyone who is offended by something like that isn't oversensitive. Anyone who isn't is cold-hearted. I was in kindergarten that day and my teacher put on the live footage of the event. I watched people jumping out of the towers, footage that has never been shown since. I didn't fully understand what happened at the time,
SugarySweetGirl (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
Ok, 1st off. This story has nothing to do with the paranormal. In my mind, it's either an urban legend or completely fake.

2nd: To the person that said if a tradgedy doesn't happen in your land specification, then it doesn't bother you is probably the stupidest, most adolesent thing I've ever heard. I live in America, so, uh, I don't care what happened to the people in Japan or Chile or Haiti? WRONG! Saying things like that is racist, prejedice and just plain idiotic. Just because we are born in different places doesn't mean we shrug off what happens elsewhere. Any tradgedy where innocent people lose their lives is just that. A tradegy. It's people like you that keeps the world in a segregated state.
mok2k11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
They're know miss steaks in this newsletter cause we used special soft wear witch checks yore spelling. It is mower or lass a weigh too verify. How ever is can knot correct arrows inn punctuation ore usage:an it will not fined words witch are miss used butt spelled rite. Four example; a paragraph could have mini flaws but wood bee past by the spell checker. And it won't catch the sentence fragment which you. Their fore, the massage is that proofreading is knot eliminated, it is still berry muck reek wired.
mok2k11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-03)
[at] fanny Lol that's true, but I think the OP might be trolling, the story's not very well written and has a lot of inconsistencies, so it might just be someone who's bored and wanted to get some attention.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Fanny,
Thanks for your words...I'm obviously far from one of the true victims of 9/11. We all died a little bit that day.

Kharma-shmarma...I got a nod from a Ranting Fanny... My day is set!

Lou
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
[at] LouSlips,

I would like to up your Karma vote for your comments, but I can't make myself do it. I 100% agree with your comments but a little piece of my heart broke for you when you said that the plane flew over your head and that could have been you.

I am truly sorry that both you and your wife have had such an up close and personal experience with 9/11. I hope that in the 10 years since you have both been able to heal, even just a little. It's hard for those of us who weren't there to fully comprehend the terror and pain you must have felt. However, that does not excuse his disrespectful comments.

I hope on his part it's just ignorance and not a blatant disregard for human life. I would also like to think that his comments stem from not being American and not feeling a kinship with the country, however, I am Canadian and I would never EVER say such a thing. Anyway that's my rant for the day.

I really wish you all the best,
Fanny ❤ ❤ ❤
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
First, several of you do have a point. There isn't much evidence of anything paranormal. Second, Tekuti desparately needs to proof read his stuff before he posts and/or hire an editor.

However, I'm going to take devil's advocate for a moment and assume that the story is true. It is *possible* that his mother either knew the old man or had a friend who knew the old man. Either way, it is possible that's how she knew what happened to him.

Though not necessarily the most responsible thing to do, it is also possible that his mom told him the house was haunted. That said, based on the evidence, I'd say it was more likely broken into. What evidence? The alleged hole in the garage wall. The theif might have poisoned the dog and robbed the place while no-one else was there. I must say, though, that I think breaking a window and climbing through it would probably have been much easier. Perhaps it's a rough (or upper class) neighborhood and houses have bars over the windows? Still, if a kid can think of picking a lock, why wouldn't a burglar?

One last thing... I too am offended by the 9/11 reference. It's not so much that I'm American. It's that over 3000 lives were lost. These people weren't soldiers on a battlefield. They were peaceful (on a whole -not looking at individuals here) civilians.
interestedparty (1 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-14)
Wow, I just read this story and its associated comments. The story is not so bad, yes the comment about 9/11 was insensitive and wrong but truly, if you read back all of your comments you are behaving like a lynch mob towards someone who is still legally a kid. Cyber bullying is not cool, especially to youths. Those who are older should know better. Tekuti, think before you write.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+7
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Sorry, red,
The twin towers are an open sore that is never going to heal for most of us... And having some pea f-ck like this poke his finger in it makes me wish we were required to post our addresses for this site.
You may not be as sensitive to the subject as the rest of us, but they flew right over my head to crash those planes and kill those innocent Americans... And the place I work could have easily been a target as well. Maybe you should call my wife and ask her how she felt ten years ago when the world was blowing up and we were out of phone contact for three hours.

I'm glad butt wipes like this don't bother you... Just realize the rest of us are still in mourning.

Lou
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Came back to catch up on the comments, lol noticed javas post and had to peak... Omfg you guys are HILARIOUS!
I must say, asspancake is... HAHAHAHA OMG! An asspancake!?!?! I'm rolling and CRYING laughing. Geez.
Seriously, I'm so glad that others took offense to this one. When I initially posted the beyotchy reply I thought everyone would think I was horrible, now I know better, and proud to be in fine company!

We have created a new award for posters such as you Tekuti---the APC award for asspancake! It will resemble a pile of poo!

As for red- yeahhhhhhh... Ummm I got nothin 'cept this: You know... I have done many many MANY animal rescues and rehabs. I've as a general rule
Never pointed fingers at anyone even when the rehab or rescue was
Unsuccessful (most are successful, mind you) BUT... Even if unsuccessful, the animals were buried immediately and not left to stink and putrify and "leak". I'm not sure why you chose to point out your 2 German shepherds, I'm not going to ask WHY you know they were like that, and I'm not going to ask why you had two of them die on you. I'm simply going to hope that they died of old age, in good hands, and that you had to wait to bury them for one reason or another. I WILL, however, suggest that next time you can't bury your dog in a timely fashion, (a few hours is the best rule) call someone who can assist you, ask a neighbor, post it on craigslist ANYTHING to get the job done. Call your vet if necessary. Most do cremations nowadays like they had to do for mine. If you're simply not willing to deal with a dead animal, then I'd recommend you don't get another one, but I'm betting that's not the case here.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
[at] Tekuti,
I noticed you haven't been back scab! And it'a a good thing for you to stay far away from here. Especially today. Ten years now since it happened, and you you think it's alright to make jokes? BITE ME!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
My mouth just dropped. What in the world was this author thinking. Not only was it rude to Miracles, it is a disrespect to the people who lost their lives that day. Plus, what in the world does that have anything to do with the story?

The author mentioned that he was 17 years old, I have doubts about that. The way, the author wrote the story, s/he looks like a spoiled brat.

The dog, really? If there was a stink, wouldn't the smell traveled from the hole in garage and people smelled (if there ever was one).

Tekuti,
When a person asks a question, they simply want more information to process the story. Not everyone is a great writer and even some great writers forget to write down information. So, if you want to be taken seriously, (1) stop writing fake stories, and (2) IF your stories are true and people still have questions, answer them directly.

Miracles has valid question, so you can start by answering her question first.

Got that, bright eyes?

Where in the world did bright eyes come from anyways?
stephyw2001 (guest)
+4
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
Fanny, don't worry. The "asspancake" should be back in school now. Hopefully learning what the "/" symbol is, and that breaking and entering is wrong.
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-09-07)
What? This was sssssssssoooooooooo painful to read! I'm speechless! Did you proof read that at all? And did you really just say that about 9/11? Wow just wow! You sir, are a giant asspancake! Rude, disrespectful and stupid!

No ❤ for you! 😠
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Yeah, that would be pretty gross, not cleaing up an animal's body before it starts to stink. And redphx said she had two dogs die on her. Did they both emit smells and juices before you got rid of them? That seems a little strange. I don't think a dead dog has anything to do with the paranormal. Seems like negligence to me.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
And uh, what kind of dog owner does not notice that their dog is dead until after there are 'lingering smells and juices' on the ground? Were you not caring for the animal every day or something? Because that is kind of sick.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+7
13 years ago (2011-09-02)
Redphx - whereas you may not be offended, I think others probably are. I took offense to it. I did not know anyone personally who was directly affected by 9/11 other than emotionally and from a distance, but it was a very tragic thing and I do not think it is something that should be joked about or used as a sarcastic metaphor. My dad is a construction worker and he was tasked with moving a piece of the WTC into a museum. He told me that just being in close proximity to a piece of the building from ground zero had a deep emotional impact on him, and he could almost feel the panic and horror of the people that went through all of that radiating from it. A lot of lives were lost in that event. That would be like joking about the holocaust. Just because it does not offend you does not mean that people who are offended are over-sensitive.

This comment from redphx is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
red - I wouldn't argue with you about the dog at all. If I'd have believed the story 😉

This comment from redphx is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
How did this even get posted? There is absolutely nothing paranormal in this story. The only thing that happened was the author got creeped out because they were doing something they were not supposed to be doing and felt guilty about it. I feel sad for that poor dog, but considering the old man was gone I doubt it was the dog that the man owned. You guys could have at least had the decency to bury the dog since you were already over there trespassing as it was.

And no mother in her right mind is going to tell her child "don't go to that house because it's haunted". Any mother knows that that is the first way to get your kid to do exactly what you tell them not to, because kids are curious and thrill-seeking.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+5
13 years ago (2011-09-01)
This whole story just has bad kharma written all over it. Why on earth would you want to publish some poor man's grief? And there was no indication that the place was haunted at all. It seems to me you just want to publicize that you broke into a house. 😕
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
And another thing there "bright eyes",just why on earth did you feel you had to hone your lock picking skills? You're damn right you shouldn't leave any names or house numbers here pal! That's the kind of trail the cops just love to follow. Good luck in whatever profession your in. Do they know about these lock picking skills?

Jav
Indigo (263 posts)
+8
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
K, miracles may have refrained, but I won't, even at the risk of losing all my karma points.
Tekuti--
What you have here, are mainly matters for the police and your mother. Just my opinion, but hey, I'm entitled, you posted agreeing to participate and respond.

So-dead dog... Hmmmm matter for animal control, disease control, police (you said creepy kid down the way.)

Dead dog gone---police matter. (understandable with carnivores, carrion eaters, creepy kid coming back to claim his trophy, a real grown up trying to prevent a nasty mess by burying the dog)

You felt you shouldn't be there. You shouldn't have been. Period. That's called trespassing. You had no permission to be there. Again. Police matter.

You make a big deal out of an urban legend because of an old mans misfortune. Leaving things where people left them when they last used them is a common part of the grieving process. To trespass on someones property to get a photo of a dead womans shoes is not only ignorant, it's illegal. Again. Police matter, but you also owe the property owner AND your mother an apology!

Then you come on here being a brat and calling names. I think you're a very immature kid that needs to grow up. Got that "bright eyes?"

Can you think of who else you might want to apologize to, perchance?
PrettyInPain (3 stories) (153 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Taz,

I'm with you there, buddy. I really found that to be incredibly offensive and absolutely uncalled for. 😕

And having an attitude toward Miracles over a completely logical question was pretty riddiculous. I don't understand all of this defensive hostility.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
hmmmm I'm thinking of chesse, edam cheese, only because this "story" has more holes in it than edam!
And that comment (twin towers) uncalled for and quite twisted to be honest.
No I think the wording I was after was down right sickening! To use one of the worst attacks on human life in that context was sick.
Some people should think before they say anything.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
I actually agree with Moongrim on this one. How could anyone besides the old guy know all these details? How close was Sam's mother to the people in this story? How is all of this known as fact?
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
It's kind of strange that someone knows so many details concerning the house, the dog, and the old man, and yet doesn't claim to be there.

How is it that someone knows the man's heart being broken? So many details that only the old man could know. And he's dead.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-08-31)
Oh snap! You wrote this story with your dukes up! You were ready for a fight. I kind of wish I hadn't read this story, I don't want to ask any questions about it. For fear of another outburst. Jeepers!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: