You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadow People In My House

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow People In My House

 

For several years, I have been aware of shadows that appear and move throughout our house. I usually see them move in an adjacent room out of the corner of my eye but they disappear as soon as I look at them straight on.

Recently other people have been seeing them too. My 22 year old college student daughter owed me $40 so I suggested she clean my house to pay the debt. She came over when there would be no one else home. She was mopping the floor in the hallway where my son's bedroom and her former bedroom are situated across from each other. She looked up and saw a shadow come out of her former bedroom and move towards her. She dropped the mop and ran out the front door. She stayed outside until her brother got home.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my son's good friends was sitting on our loveseat in our living room watching television with my son, myself, and another friend. He turns towards the hallway and yells, "Hi John!". (John is my husband's name.). I said, "John isn't here. He's at work." The friend says, "Are you sure? I just saw him in the hall." John was definitely at work.

Another time my son, myself, and four of our friends were sitting at my kitchen table playing a card game. I heard a noise like a loud knock in the living room and looked over. I saw a tall shadow move across the room towards the front door. I then noticed the boy next to me was also looking. I looked at him and he looked at me and said, "Did you see that?" I asked him, "What did you see?" He said. "A tall guy moving towards the door!" I said. "Yes, I saw that too."

Last week, I was home alone watching television. A commercial came on that I have seen many times. Suddenly a shadow appears to the left of the television and then moves into the television and across the screen. It disappears when it gets to the right edge of the television. I sat there kind of stunned. I've never seen one do that before.

Today my son's friend and his girlfriend were sitting in my living room with my son and me. Suddenly the girlfriend says, "I just saw a shadow move in the dining room towards the hall!". She was so freaked out that she and my son's friend left.

The weird thing is that I have kind of become used to them. I see them all the time mostly out of the corner of my eye. I don't feel threatened by them at this point. I'm actually kind of relieved that so many other people can see them now.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DDenton, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-09-26)
DDenton,
Thanks for getting back about the fault line, I do believe if you keep track of the activity it will show some interesting correlations. As it stands right now, California holds the lions share of total number of experiences published on this site from the USA. The only other "country" (outside the US) that has higher total is the United Kingdom. That seems a pretty good indicator that something's up.
Wow! The added information concerning your former neighbor, may she rest in peace, puts a whole new twist on your situation. The depth of sadness and tragedy can really leave a lasting effect on all. I just pray she has moved on. You did say you didn't feel uncomfortable with your "guests", and that's a very good indication that she has.
Looking forward to future posts and experiences!

Jav
DDenton (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-09-26)
Actually our house is set back from our street because there is a fault line that runs in front of our house. I will have to check to see if future occurrences coincide with small tremors in our area.
There were no structures here before our house and/or our development was placed here.
I didn't mention this before because activity had occurred before but our next door neighbor killed herself by hanging in her garage a little over a year ago. Her garage is visible from the window in our most active room. My husband had to cut down the rope she used although she had been removed by the coroner by then. She had been under psychiatric care for some time.
darkfantum (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
shadow people sightings are very common but are usealy benign and you shouldent worry although they seem creepy but they can't do anything to you like poltergeists

Darkfantum
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
[at] DDenton,
Do you happen to live near a fault line? Just a theory I've held for some of the experiences submitted where the author hails from California. I was born and raised there myself, so I have a particular interest. I'm wondering if these occurrences coincide with seismic activity at all.
If you check the amount of experiences from California, you will notice that they top all other states, and several countries, in number. That in itself should raise an interest as to why there are as many as there are. And it is my contention that perhaps the movement of the tectonic plates could be disturbing the rest of the spirits in those areas where the movement is more pronounced.
May I suggest you try keeping a journal of paranormal activity in your home? Also, if you do this, it would be very interesting to keep track of seismic activity, weather patterns, moon phase and even any emotional feelings held by anyone present at the time the phenomenon occurs. Even if nothing seems to coincide with the earth movement at first, other patterns may come to light after a period of time that may surprise you. You never can tell.
You can check with the USGS online to check seismic occurrences in your area. As most Californians know, just because you didn't feel it, doesn't mean it didn't occur.
As for the experiences you've mentioned here, they do appear to be paranormal in nature. And since you are not disturbed by these, I have to agree with you that they don't mean any harm. Showing themselves the way they have sounds to me like they feel at harmony with you and your family.
Thank you for sharing these with us and welcome to YGS.

Jav 😊
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
In case you're wanting to do some more research upon the subject:

Http://home.comcast.net/~shadowpeopleorg/shadowpeople.html
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I've heard that shadow people (or ghosts in general) can follow people or manifest where there is a person sensitive to their presence; they may not be attached to the house. On the other hand, ghosts are known to inhabit properties or certain places of interest, not specifically a particular house. Was your property an empty lot before the house was built? Do you know if there was an older house that was torn down before yours?
Either way, I'm glad for you that these shadows are non-threatening and that you feel at least somewhat comfortable and used to them.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
huh. Never would have guessed your house was new (er).
My little home (no activity) was built in the early 50's...and with so many old homes on the east coast, I look at mine as still new. It must be strange to have this happening in a home built in '90, and only one previous owner with no reports of trauma.
DDenton (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Our house was built in 1990. Only one other family has lived here since it was built and when they left, everyone was still alive and well. My 22-year-old daughter's former bedroom seems to be the most active room. It was active before she moved but she never experienced anything while she was living here. My son, myself and one of his friends had experiences relating to the room then. It was my eldest daughter's room before that and was not active at all while she had the room.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
I get the impression you live in an older home...
Interesting story... Maybe a little bit of history about the house in the comment section here, just to get a better perspective.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
I have seen shadow people a few different times, but none that seem to be the same one. I think this could be more than a shadow person but maybe a spirit trying to capture your attention. It seems as if the sightings are progressing and become more "apparent" (no pun intended). It seems to cause no harm and as you state; you have become quite used to it. Is there anyone that you know that has passed within the three years? Zeta.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Interesting that you and others see them so often. I would think that it was a past resident of the house, since [he?] seems to be stuck there. I'm glad you don't feel scared though. I'd be relieved too to have others see it! Next time he cuts in front of the TV, say "thank you for doing that on a commercial" haha.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: