You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Who Is Ruth?

Real Ghost Stories

Who Is Ruth?

 

Further to my previous story, Moonlight Encounter, I had mentioned that I had one other experience with my friends' older sister (Diane). I was 12 by this stage, it was 1980. While the details leading up to the event are fuzzy now, I found myself participating in a séance at Diane's' house with around 8 other people. It was a strange collection of people, some were my friends and others were her friends. While I know that Diane had had numerous séances previously, I can't speak for her friends, but I know my friends and I had not had a séance before.

We all sat at a large table with a candle in the center and were told to put our hands spread flat on the table in front of us with our thumbs touching and also touching the persons hand to each side so we were all linked together, we had to make sure that link wasn't broken, then focus our energies on the candle. Once we were all settled and focused, over and over Diane was asking for someone to communicate with us (I can't remember the exact words she used). To keep a long story short, eventually we could feel a change in the air, not exactly heavier but thicker, if that makes any sense. We all felt it; everyone was exchanging glances but remaining focused. Then, it was as though something was trying to work out who was the easiest target because watching around the table you could see one person after another just shift slightly in their seats and get an almost blank, dazed look in their eyes until it passed to the next person. For whatever reason, it got to me and stopped.

I remember it as though there was a door inside my soul that was blown open by a strong gust of wind. (Note: I am currently trembling while typing this, just recalling the experience in detail, it's been awhile!) It made me catch my breath and then begin to shake a lot. My last memory was Diane yelling to the people next to me to "keep the link!" Then it went dark.

I woke up very slowly and had been completely drained of energy to the point I could barely hold my head up but I looked around and saw everyone standing around me, some were crying and others were visibly shaken. I could see them talking to me but my hearing for some reason wasn't what it normally is, I had the taste of blood in my mouth and my hands were so itchy! I looked to Diane who was nursing me and she had an absolute look of panic in her face. It was then I realized that I had rosary beads around my neck.

When I regained normal functions, they all took turns in telling me that when I started shaking, the people next to me managed to cross over my hands, "keeping the link" while I "went into a trance". Apparently Diane had called my name and asked if I was ok, only to be answered by the voice of an old lady, saying "My name is Ruth (it's not!) And they haven't found me yet". Diane had asked numerous questions and, to cut a long story short, she (Ruth) had told them that she had been murdered and dismembered and her body had still not been found. Diane had put the rosary beads around me to try to get me to wake up as when I was trying to tell them her surname I was biting my tongue (hence the blood in my mouth!).

Diane had apparently tried looking into it to try to find some connection but as far as I know she never got anywhere with it. I didn't really hang around with Diane after that and neither I nor my friends who witnessed it will EVER be part of séance again.

Sorry for the length of the story, thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Aprilsnanny35

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aprilsnanny35, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-25)
Reneespring, thanks so much for your feedback! I agree, a story rating system is a great idea! 😊
reneespring (148 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
I just realized that my previous comment might be taken in a way that I didn't mean... I am sorry you went through what you did, and it is horrible what Ruth went through... I still think it is refreshing to see a WELL WRITTEN story, one that is believable! And I still want a story rating system!
reneespring (148 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-24)
I hope that yourghoststories will soon have a story rating system, not just a comment rating one. This was very well written and it is one of my faves. Thank you for sharing it!
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Thanks for your feedback, it's really appreciated. As scary as it was for me at the time, I think the people who witnessed it had more to deal with because as I mentioned I wasn't really mentally present for the worst of it. It definitely increased my interest in the paranormal though. Speaking with my parents about it just wasn't an option. I totally respect that it may be hard for some to believe and I can only reassure you that I am not here to waste mine or anyone elses time with BS. Unfortunately as far as researching now, I still really only have her name and the fact that she was murdered to go by. I don't know where or when, the reference to Strathmore in 1980 was only when and where the seance took place so sadly I don't think much can be done. If anyone has any other thoughts on this I would be only too glad to hear them. Thanks again. 😊
assie (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
wow! Must of been unbelivably scary. Let alone having it happen when you were 12. I can see why you et scared to even talk about it!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Did you tell anyone like your parents about this and what did they say if you did?

Just a suggestion: since this incident took place back in 1980, it would have probably been more difficult to find out information. Since technology has improved, have you tried to an internet search or even go to your local library to find the information.

Once you had the chance to cool down. How did you feel about the whole incident?
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
This is a very intense story, so much that it's almost hard for me to believe unless I saw it with my own eyes. What an experience for a 12 year old to go through! I would have been scared out of my pants! It's sad that 'Ruth' was murdered and never found, but I hope she's found peace now. No problems on the length of the story, though. You put it together nicely and didn't digress or anything. 😊
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
It was definitely too much for you to handle! You were very young at the time and certainly weren't aware of the danger, but the worst thing that one can do is to disturb them.
As per Ruth, it's really sad... I trully hope she's at peace now.

God bless ❤
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Darkness, it certainly was and I too hope Ruth is at peace. This happened in the Melbourne suburb of Strathmore back in 1980.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Aprilsnanny35: Geez that is a pretty intense thing to have gone through at that age, I'm curious to know who Ruth was and if she found justice in the end? Can I ask where abouts in Australia this was at all?

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Miracles51031: Thanks for the response. At the time it was pretty mindblowing but actually just heightened my interest in the afterlife. I'm not sure if Diane was surprised she had some activity but I really don't think she expected the outcome that's for sure! Without any tangible details it would have been really hard to find a connection, but I try to believe that she was found and that she is now at peace.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Aprilsnanny - wow! Okay, for a 12-yr-old that would be a traumatizing experience. For any age, actually 😐. I can understand why you wouldn't hang around with Diane much after that or participate in any more seances.

I know you probably don't know this, but I wonder if Diane was surprised that she got in contact with Ruth? It would be a shame, I mean no disrespect at all, and certainly a tragedy if no one found Ruth's body.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: