You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Wakeup Call From A Grandfather

Real Ghost Stories

Wakeup Call From A Grandfather

 

When I first started dating my current boyfriend 6 years ago, he was telling me about his family one afternoon since I would be spending Thanksgiving with them for the first time in Pennsylvania. While he was telling me about his grandfather (whom he loved very much) a thought popped into my head "He's going to die this year." The thought was in my own voice and it was instant as if I knew this for certain. I felt terrible at the time for thinking such a thing and didn't know where that could have come from.

Speed ahead to about 8 months later and his grandfather is very ill and living at home with a nurse caring for him around the clock. He had cancer and the family knew that he would pass away any day. His grandfather also seemed to accept this and didn't seem to want to linger. My boyfriend and I were living in New York at this time. One night I had a dream that I was sitting on a hospital bed in a dimly lit bedroom of a private home. Next to me, a man was lying under the covers, but I didn't see his face. I was looking towards the foot of the bed.

In the dream I said "your hours are up. Shall I write them?"

The man replied "Yes. Write them."

I'm not sure if he meant for me to write a letter to his family or if he meant for me to write his hours (not sure what I mean by that, either). I reached across him to a nightstand on the opposite side of the bed where there is a pad and pencil. Before I grab them, however, I woke up in the dramatic way people do in movies when they are having a nightmare; gasping and sitting up quickly. I wasn't afraid or anything, I just woke up as if I had been yelled at or startled. After a second or two I get my bearings and I realize that my boyfriend's cell phone is vibrating on the other side of the room. I go get it and see that his mother is calling. I knew instantly why she was calling at 2 in the morning. I shake my boyfriend awake and let him answer the phone. He got the news that his grandfather passed away that night.

I should mention that my boyfriend does not believe in the paranormal. I myself wouldn't if things like this didn't happen to me once in a while. I suppose that's why his grandfather came to me, to make sure that his grandson got the call.

Other hauntings by No_Peeking

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, No_Peeking, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

No_Peeking (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
[at] Zeta,

I did tell him eventually even though I knew he wasn't really comfortable with these kinds of events or acts like he doesn't believe in it. He brushed it off the first time, but on another occasion (after a few beers) he seemed to really want to know what it was like.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Very interesting story and I have had similar experiences. You have "insight" or certain psychic abilities. I'm sure this is not the first experience that you have had with this... Or was it? Just curious. I'm confused... Did you tell your boyfriend the experience that you had? You state that he does not believe in paranormal and that is why I ask.

Thanks, zeta.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
I just realized that I had wrote "thanks for asking" in my previous comment. I am not sure if I was writing one thing and though another or what but not sure what that was tied to. I think I initially mean to put "thanks for sharing."

Peace
JustCurious
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
[at] no_peeking, I completely understand where you're coming from. Even though my mother is sensitive and receives precogs among other things, when I was a teen and first started having experiences with the psychic world, she actually discouraged it.

My mother has a strong belief in christianity, and that belief often times conflicted with her experiences with psychic ability and the spiritual world.

Since she discouraged me from entertaining or developing any of these gifts or experiences, the occurrences range these days, sadly range from rare to nonexistent.

So it's up to you I guess, but I regretted in later. Especially now that my interest in the paranormal is stromger than ever. Those abilities sure would be of use lol.
No_Peeking (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Dusty, to be perfectly honest, I am terrified to cultivate this "gift." My mom has told me the same thing, but I actually work towards the opposite. I think if I could fully close that door, I would because I don't know what I would see if I accepted it and I worry that I wouldn't be able to block it out if I did.

On the other hand, I wasn't afraid of my boyfriend's grandfather and I'm honored that he "asked" me to deliver this message to his grandson. In the end, I'm not sure what to do about it.

Geetha, I didn't tell my boyfriend for a few months. He doesn't believe in the paranormal and I don't think he likes that I have this ability. Most of the time, he doesn't want to hear it so I keep it to myself. There was a night where he had a few drinks and asked me to repeat the story (as well as asking several questions).
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Personally, I think love and hate are two of the most powerful emotions. I'm happy for those who could feel the love of those dear to us, even if it's from another realm.

Did you ever tell your boyfriend about what you experienced?
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Very cool story. I'm sorry for the grandfather, but I think it's sweet that, in a sense, he reached out to you to get the message to his grandson. Very interesting stuff.
I had a somewhat similar experience... My fiance's father died when my fiance was young, about 13. We've spoken about him and I've seen pictures and even visited his grave once where my fiance tearfully told him that he intended to marry me. I had a dream one night where his father came to me, sort of to properly introduce himself. Although his face was shrouded in darkness, I knew it was him. Fast forward to my future brother-in-law's wedding. We're hanging out at his wife's parent's house sharing breakfast and stories. The new bride admitted that she had had a dream where she met the father, very similarly to my dream. My fiance's mother said that she'd had a dream like that a while after he died and they asked me if anything like that happened to me. I confessed to it and they all looked shocked, but happy at the same time.
It's very intriguing how those we love and have passed away seem to reach out to us, even from beyond.
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
i love these kinds of stories because my mother as experienced "psychic dreams" every since we were children. Even today when we talk she'll mention them every now and then. She's also sensitive to auras and spirits. It fascinates me to hear various family members talk about it.

I really think you should look into your own gifts, because based on your story it looks like its very possible you have the gift. You just have to listen to, like otteer said, that initial gut response. I think once you start listening to your own intuition more often, more situations like what happened in your story are apt to occur. I've had quite a few precog experiences myself, but nothing quite as visceral as what your story described. So you're pretty lucky and you should definitely work on it.
No_Peeking (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Thank you for the comments. Dusty, that was an interesting point you made. To be honest, I didn't think about the psychic nature of this experience; I only took it as communicating with a spirit.

The only other time something like that happened was the first of Sept. 2001 when my younger brother scribbled on my calender and over the date Sept 11, it looked to me as if it was the word "die." I made an off-hand comment, saying, "great. Now something bad is going to happen that day." I never expected just how tragic that day would be, but my brother and I have never forgotten what I said a week earlier.
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Wow that was an interesting story. Thanks for asking. Have you ever experienced anything like that before?

Sorry to hear about the death of your boyfriends grandfather.

Peace
JustCurious
dustyisdead (2 stories) (90 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
i almost get the feeling that this was psychic in nature rather than a ghost or spirit communicating with you. You had a voice in your head and premonition in your dream. You should keep an eye out for ESP related events in your future.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
Wow, powerful stuff. You are blessed to have been able to experience this and help deliver the message to your boyfriend. That was truly a gift. Have you ever had other precog things happen to you? Its hard to listen to our inner voices sometimes... Especially when they sound like us lol! I have had these "moments" even when reading stories here, Ill get a quick response in my own voice and its like, "here is the answer!" and I just seem to know its the truth cause it "feels" different then my own normal thought responses. Dosnt have much practical use in my ever day life though so it kind of died out except when reading here. Still don't share it cause there's no proof lol!

Thanks for sharing ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: