You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Woman In The Wardrobe

Real Ghost Stories

Woman In The Wardrobe

 

My very first experience with the paranormal was when I was round about 6 years old. It took place at my grans house in the East of Scotland, Fife, Buckhaven.

I was staying with my gran that night with my older sister Hollie. Hollie and I shared the double bed while my gran was on the floor. I woke up at somewhere around 3 in the morning, and as soon as I woke up I instantly felt like someone was watching me. I glanced over towards my grans wardrobe which was basically right in front of me and a blurry white figure walked out from the wardrobe and stood there looking directly at me. I froze and was too scared to move so I put my head down and looked at it from the corner of my eye. I was shaking all over, due to the fact that I didn't have a clue who this strange person was, this was a completely new experience to me.

As I was looking at it from the corner of my eye it moved over towards the bed, it kept on moving until it came to my older sister beside me, it looked down at her and then turned its head up to look at me. By this time I was terrified so I decided to go down and sleep beside my gran on the floor. When I was all wrapped up in the duvet on the floor I told my gran that I had seen something or someone come out of the wardrobe and it was now stood next to Hollie, my gran looked up and turned the bedside light on she then said to me that there was nothing there and it was just a bad dream, I then looked up to see if she was telling the truth and she was right it wasn't there but I doubted to think that it was a dream.

While next to my gran on the floor I began shaking again and getting even more scared than I was to start off with. I have always had this strange urge to look under beds before I go to sleep incase something is there so I lifted up the material covering the bottom of the bed, and got a terrible fright when I saw that the blurry figure was under the bed staring right at me, and just then I saw a faint picture of Hollie (my sister) turn up to where the figures face should have been, I have no idea what it meant at the time and I am still a bit unsure.

My gran still does not believe me to this very day and it happened almost 10 years ago. I have heard from my gran that my auntie Jaqui went on about a woman dressed in old fashioned clothes wandering around in the upstairs of my grans house so I'm still wondering if I saw her. Even my sister, Hollie says that she hears clicking noises and tapping noises on her bed when she is trying to sleep. Most people that have stayed a night in my grans house have had strange experiences apart from my gran herself which I think is a little unusual. I have only seen this spirit once in my life. I now sleep with the big light on every night and also with the TV on. Straight after this experience I got an a phobia of the dark, I also tend to be quite frightened of silence now as well. I have never gone a day without my big light being on at night. I'm frightened because I tend to see all sorts of things in the dark and that scares me even more.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Diskonnekted-X, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Diskonnekted-X (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-30)
Thanks for everyone's comments! I'm 100% sure that my gran has not seen this woman. She doesn't believe in ghosts but she said that if there was someone in her house she wouldn't mind because she has done nothing to harm her. I think she is a woman called Mary as she used to live in this house before my gran bought it and the woman passed away in the hospital. She wasn't attached to the wardrobe as it has been thrown away and I still encounter some strange noises and noticeable footsteps when no one else is in the house apart from myself. As for the picture of my sister well I still don't know what it was trying to say or tell me, maybe it could have been some sort of warning or something? But anyway thanks again for your comments!:)
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-25)
😨 Thank you for sharing your story with us. I had the same thoughts wondering if the woman was attached to something in the wardrobe, to the wardrobe itself or to the house.
Also about your grandmother, I wonder if she was like mine and when she looked at it negatively that the problem would go away (even though it didn't), or if she knew that the woman was there and didn't mind?
I'm sorry that your afraid of the dark now. I could only suggest that praying a prayer of protection before going to bed might help. But if your atheist then *pft* you could imaginarily scratch that part of my comment off.
❤ Qt
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-25)
My first thought was the same as Nay-95's. I was thinking that your grandmother might have know about the ghost as she might have experienced her to but either didn't want to own up to it or did not want to scare you by admitting to it.

DeviousAngel can also be right about the spirit attaching itself to the the wardrobe. I would find out where the wardrobe came from and if that doesn't pan out then try finding the history of the house.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
That is a bit creepy, it showing itself to you under the bed that isn't normal! But hey what is normal when it comes to these type of things. Devious brought up a good point regarding the wardrobe is it possible to find out any info on it perhaps?.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
Fascinating, it sounds as if you caught a doppelganger in the act of attempting to take someone else's form.

Something to keep in mind- the very real possibility that this entity was attempting to 'ease your fears' by assuming the likeness of someone you trust. And then realizing the futility of such under the circumstances.

AS to the fear, what exactly is it that has been done to harm you? Face your fear.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
I was thinking the exact same thing as Nay-95. But also, maybe the woman was curious about you so she used your sisters face because she didn't want to scare you. Thank you for sharing.
Nay-95 (1 stories) (16 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Do not take this the wrong way, but do you think your gran could have been lying about not seeing her? Does she live alone? Because I was thinking, if she lives alone maybe she is lonely and likes the presence of the spirit. Maybe she prefers the spirit to be there so does not tell the family? Just a thought. This story is spooky though. I do not blame you for being afraid of silence and darkness. Those two things unnerve lots of folk. Hope all is well,

Nay-95 😁
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Do you mean the figure's face turned into your sister's face? That is weird. What kind of things do you see in the dark now? Have you read some of the other stories on this site? Some of us have found ways to stop things that scare us.
LuiDesu (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
This is just plain creepy, I wonder why the white figure used your sis' face?

And dark, narrow spaces like wardrobes or the space under the bed weird me out. You never know what could be in there and I usually put lots of stuff inside them to ensure that no ghost can hide inside them, haha~

Besides...I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who sees stuff in the dark and can't stand darkness or silence.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Do you know anything about the history of the wardrobe? Was it an antique, hand-me-down or otherwise second-hand? I wonder if this spirit might have been attached to it, or even the house. It might be worth it to ask your gran where she got the wardrobe. Thanks for sharing your experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: