You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Thing In The Wardrobe

Real Ghost Stories

The Thing In The Wardrobe

 

I live in Canada, in the north part of Toronto. It's pretty much quiet and not as hectic as the downtown area. My neighbourhood is also very quiet, as I live on a closed street (has no exit). I have lived in this house for 4 years now, and before renting it the owner told us her mother passed away in her sleep in the master bedroom. Since I am very skeptical of ghosts and all things paranormal, I decided to not think about it too much.

Nothing weird has ever happened, besides the usual eerie feelings I get when home alone and the bathroom door is wide open and dark- the usual. Other than that I've never heard or seen anything, until today. It was insanely humid today, and I was out getting groceries, and took my dog to get a haircut. I got home at around 5 with a bad migraine, so I decided to lay down for a bit. I was not home alone as my brother and sister were visiting and were downstairs.

My room isn't very big- it has the basic things a room has. On one corner I have my bed, and opposite of the bed I have a big wardrobe. The classic white ones from ikea, nothing special. On top of the wardrobe, on the ceiling, there is a small opening that leads to the attic. It's not exactly a door, because in order to get in the attic you need to push up on the plank and move it to the side. Now, this usually doesn't bother me but there have been countless nights where I get paranoid and wonder if there is anyone or anything living up there- mostly because nobody has EVER been in the attic.

My brother took a look inside of it one day but never fully went in. He just said it was dark and had pipes travelling on the walls, which was expected for an attic. I've seen plenty of stories of people finding homeless people living in the attics or basement of their homes, and the thought came into my mind every once in a while. And that's why this experience scared me so much.

Back to the story, I lay in my room with my dog (a small poodle) beside me. She is very frisky and will bark at anyone she doesn't recognize. I tried to fall asleep as my siblings talked loudly downstairs- and that's when my dog started to growl. I sat up, thinking maybe she was just hearing voices from downstairs and saw her staring at the wardrobe. My heart dropped and I panicked, subconsciously trying to think of anything but a person being in there. I reached out to my nightstand and turned my fan off, and heard what sounded like whispering. Except it sounded weird, as if somebody was mumbling. I made sure it wasn't my phone and I heard both my siblings downstairs so I knew it couldn't be any of those. I sat there staring at the wardrobe as my dog, still laying down on the bed stared and barked at... Well, I don't know. Something in the wardrobe.

Now this next part I'm not very sure even happened, because it could've very well been my eyes playing tricks on me. But in between the doors of the wardrobe, between the thin crack I saw the slightest movement of something. And that's when I screamed my brothers name and yelled at him to come upstairs. I told him to check the wardrobe, afraid of seeing a stranger in there. Even more horrifying, he flung the doors open to find nothing. This has never happened to me- I've been analyzing it over and over in my head and can't seem to think of any possible explanation. I just know I won't be sleeping in that room for a while now.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GioxX, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-04)
Greetings,

I agree with the others that it may not have necessarily been a paranormal incident, but the dog's behaviour makes me doubt myself.

As much as some dogs will bark at anything, I find it highly unlikely that you would hallucinate at the exact same time a bug flew around your wardrobe. I don't believe in coincidences.

My advice would be to check the attic, with your siblings, during the daytime, just to calm your nerves. Also look out for any future incidents. Just be careful not to equate EVERYTHING that goes bump in your room to be paranormal. You seem already paranoid, so it will only intensify things.

Like Lady Glow suggested, it could just be the old lady curious about the new tenants.

Let us know if anything else happens.

Good luck 😉
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-01)
Huh... Perhaps a ghost is trying to come out of the closet?

GioxX - would it be possible that your dog was barking on the direction of the wardrobe but not at something in it? Have you considered the possibility of a bug getting into the wardrobe - small enough to hide among the clothes, but large enough to be visible trough the crack?

It seems to me like you are thinking too much about this incident for a "very skeptical of ghosts and all things paranormal" individual; even if the deceased previous owner of the house got into your wardrobe, it doesn't mean that you are in any kind of danger, she could be just curious about your sense of style.

Thanks for sharing.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
I agree with previous comments that the movement you saw could have been related to the migraine - could even be attributed to an aura. But that still leaves your dog's behavior unaccounted for.

I grew up with a small (8-11lb) poodle - she was a freakishly smart creature but terrified of any flying insect after a being stung by a bee when she was five. Could it have been something like that? Sometimes animals (people included) will get a wild hair and take uncommon exception to something they would've completely ignored at any other time - from a bug to a spot of reflected light to a particular scent in the air. It may not necessarily be something that even takes your notice.

If it actually was some form of entity- good news would seem to be that it showed no interest in coming out of the wardrobe so perhaps its neither terribly strong nor aggressive.

If the possible presence of an entity does still concern you, maybe do a bit of research on methods of protection. There are many options out there and you can do a lot of the research online - Options like circles of salt, crystals, religious icons etc. Pick what feels best to you - even a combination of items - and place them in or on your wardrobe.

Good luck and keep us posted!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-31)
Twilight, yes. There is the curious case of the dog's behavior. There was something going on. I do wonder what, if anything, was a hallucination; and what was there.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-07-30)
To RCRuskin, I get what you're saying about how your migraine can cause hallucinations etc, and I'd agree with it most likely being just that, if it weren't for the OP saying that it was her dog that started growling at her wardrobe, when her attention was brought to it. Not saying that you're wrong, or that the OP definitely saw something, but just that it makes you wonder if it possibly was something there... I would be able to just write it off if it was me in that situation, but with the dog acknowledging it, makes it harder to write off. I hope to hear anymore updates that might happen in the future, if any at all, on whether or not there's something more to your wardrobe. With nothing else really going on in your home/wardrobe, for now I wouldn't let myself freak out too much over what happened, but just be more alert to any possible changes that might be happening. Thanks for sharing your experience.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-07-29)
<meant to be a joke>Aslan?<end of joke>

Hi, Gioxx.

About 3 weeks ago, I was in Toronto, actually Barrie but we took a day trip into Toronto intending to see a show and visit a museum or two. That did not work out, though, so I need to go back.

Not saying this is it, but when I've had migraines, I have sometimes hallucinated. Voices, movement, things like that.

What is your gut feeling about this house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: