You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Shadow Figure

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow Figure

 

I've always been interested in the paranormal but I didn't think I would actually see something. I didn't think I would be one of those people, but just the one to hear the stories.

It was 2009 and it was early fall. I and my boyfriend Carri decided to go to the Buckroe beach. It had to have been 1:00am and we just wanted to go walking and to enjoy the fall breeze. We were on the sidewalk just walking along, then suddenly something caught my attention. Across the street on the right side, I saw a shadow figure and I assumed it was a shadow of a person.

There were cars still out but when the lights shone on it, there was no fading or anything. It was a black mass shape like a man and it was tall with no facial features. There was a tree standing out in the open and the tall black figure slowly walked behind the tree and disappeared. I never took my eyes off of it and it freaked me out and I tried to justify it by thinking I was seeing things. My boyfriend started telling me a ghost story to creep me out cause I love hearing them so I tried to forget it.

It was 2:00am when we were leaving and I felt like something was following us. I told him I had seen something by the tree and he looked surprised and he was like you saw the dark figure too! I was freaked out and I knew wasn't seeing things. The thing is, my boyfriend had a history of seeing ghosts as a kid and unexplainable things. He always felt things watching him in the room and making him feel angry or scared. What do you think of these shadow figures and what are they?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Redninja, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mysterylady (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
I was 17 years old when I married, my husband worked out of town every other week. As a child I would occasionally see spirits some were nonthreaten but there were a few that was plain evil. I learned at a young age not to show fear because they would feed off of it. Even though I had these experiences I wasn't scared to stay by myself because one being called crazy and two showing fear would only make it worse. I would often feel depressed because even though I had friends and family I felt I couldn't trust anyone of my experiences. It was a Thursday morning around 2:30am when I woken because of the feeling of being watched and the bedroom air felt like the oxygen had been sucked out. I had been sleeping on my husband's side of the bed because that way I could spell his scent and it made me feel not so alone. After been waken up I turned towards my side of the bed and there stood what appeared to be my husband standing there. He seemed to be blinking like a tv going off and on. Of course I thought I had been hallucinating so I called his name no response then I relized it was something else so I got up off the bed and walked over to my side of the bed as I got closer he or it turned towards me. When I got within touching distance it disappeared right in front of me. I ran to the light switch and turned it on needless to say it scared the shiat out of me. After a few seconds with my heart beating out of my chest I turned every light on in the house and looked for him and continue to call his name. I even went outside expecting him to be there but he wasn't. I sat up for the rest of the night with all the lights on until the sun came up. When did come home three days later I told what happen of course he thought I was hallicationing because that was my first time home alone since we were married and I just missed him. I didn't say anything else to him about the continuation of seeing a shadow figure of a man that would leaned against the bedroom door and scare at me. When I would awaken because of the feeling of being watched I would try to talk to it with no response it would always turned and wake up the hallway. I would hear boots walking up and down the hallway at different times of day and night. But each time I would approach this figure or try to follow it it would always vanish right in front of me. There were times when I would feel perfectly safe by myself then a few times I was taking a bubble bath I would leave the bathroom door open because I was the only one home so I thought. I was relaxing when I felt this dark presense I was so frighten that I jump out of the tub and slammed the bathroom door closed and lock it. I would tremble and cry because I really felt threaten at that point I know this sounds nuts to some of you but there were times when the shadow man didn't frighten but there was this dark presence that always felt dangerous to me. I'm a middle aged woman now and still don't know if there were two presences or if they were the same. I had rosaries and pictures of the virgin Mary that would disappear and I would find them in another room behind furniture, under beds that were guess rooms or my husbands own personal room well he had hurting and fishing supplies. This would really scare the living shiat out of me but I was determine to not give my fear into it. It was a few years later that my husband had his own experience that when he knew that I did in fact been experiencing this. He called the priest that married us and he blessed the house but it only helped for a few months then returned with a affendance. I just had to deal with it. If anyone doesn't believe than be happy that you or anyone you care about hasn't gone through this hell on earth.
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-31)
[at] owensnee1 buckroe beach is in hampton but someone what close but 30 minutes away. Its okay dude talk away and I have always been interested, I just didn't think I would be one of those people to actually experience it.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
[at] Redninja,
Cool. You'll make it just fine. No matter what, just stay true to what you know in your heart to be right.

Jav 😊
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
[at] Louslips I will consider that and thank you! Wow I feel better now, because at first I was started to feel attacked and ganged up on.
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-28)
[at] javelina Lets all start over that's a great idea! I am new to this site and paranormal things and I don't like a ton of conflict. 😳
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
Okay, let's nip this in the bud right now...

Miac: Stop posting on this site before you get banned... You are not old enough, according to the site rules, to do so!...I will continue to delete your comments, and if necessary, contact the site owner...

Redninja: Sometimes, one word has several meanings:

Duck
1.to stoop or bend suddenly; bob.
*2.to avoid or evade a blow, unpleasant task, etc.; dodge.*
3.to plunge the whole body or the head momentarily under water.

Verb (used with object)
5.to lower suddenly: Duck your head going through that low doorway.
*6.to avoid or evade (a blow, unpleasant task, etc.); dodge: to duck a hard right; to duck an embarrassing question.* (or duck behind a tree)
7.to plunge or dip in water momentarily.

Noun *9. An act or instance of ducking.*

Jus' sayin' MISSY. 😊
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
Maybe it is just things get misinterpereted because you are reading the comments online? I don't think anyone meant to offend you, Redninja. I think they were just offering their opinions and how they percieved the shadow figure.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
Miac,
You might want to work on your mediator skills a bit. Your attempt to ease this situation may have done the opposite.

I honestly, sincerely mean what I am about to say. It is not meant to be condescending or patronizing... But considering the path of this comment thread, it will probably been taken that way.
Long time posters on this site predominantly are speaking from experience; whether it be personal experience or researched theories on the paranormal. So when you see them agreeing with each other, even though it may conflict with the O/P's original perspective, it is not meant to demean or discredit. You know what I can tell you about my last experience?... It was like no other... And my next one will be unique too. There is no cookie-cutter answer or diagnosis; but if we do not fall back on our experiences and scientific research to validate each event, we'd be running scared every time someone shares an experience, and how is that helping anyone?
Redninja, you wrote your story on a site where people believe in ghosts... You do not have to be defensive because others perceive your experience different than you did. You also do not have to give up your original theories or feelings about the matter. This was your experience alone and no one is going to try to invalidate it... And even if they are, we'd likely jump on them for doing so. As you can see, there are a lot of theories out there on almost every occurrence we get to share through the O/P's stories... At least no one said it was a dinosaur.
Stick around, you will see how this works. It may get ugly on occasions, but you can't pick family.

I am SO going to heaven.

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
[at] owensnee1 and Redninja,
Maybe we could all just start over, huh?
I am not going to mob you or down vote any of your comments. Not my style.
Owensnee1:
Please don't ever think that you can't say what you feel here. Don't ever let the mob mentality scare you either, I don't (anymore, that is). You seem like a very sweet person. Just enjoy the reading and have some fun.
Redninja:
Yes, I screwed up and changed your words, which did change the scenario you had explained. I was wrong and I apologize for that. Let me explain though. I was merely attempting, clumsily so, to say how these shadow people confuse me. To me, it seems there may be different "kinds" of shadow people. Separate from each other. I know this sounds confusing, but that's because it is confusing. Some of the stories about them, especially the older stories, describe them as tall, wearing a wide brimmed hat and a trench coat or long jacket. Those guys gave off an attitude of superiority. They also seemed not to be bothered or startled when they realized someone could see them, like they know you can't hurt them. But at the same time, made people feel like they were openly observing them. As if they were a science experiment or something. Then there are the other type that are more like what you had described. They may startle you, but they seem more human in their actions. Less dangerous, I think. But not malevolent or evil.
See what I mean? They confuse me and I just wish we knew more about them.

Well, that's enough babbling for me. Sorry for the screw up, won't happen again

Jav 😕
owensnee1 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-27)
Hey redninja. Buckroe Beach... Is that near VA Beach? It's good to see someone from the homestate on here. I'm from a little town just north of Gloucester. Anyway, I just joined this site not too long ago because of my intense fascination with the paranormal. I love the different accounts people have from all around the world and I really enjoy the fact that there is a place where folks can get together and talk about their own experiences. However, I've indeed seen some remarks that certain people have made in previous stories and, honestly, they can seem a little pretentious and downright smartaleck. Even if I had a paranormal experience to share (I wish I did, but I'm not that lucky), I don't think I could bring myself to do so, for fear of inviting a remark that could be construed as sarcastic. Because if someone calls them out on it, that's it. A mob mentality kicks in and the tusks start rippin'. Sorry for the rant, I had to get it off my chest. I'm sure I'll be the next recipient of this treatment. Oh well. See ya. By the way, if you want to be amazed at not only the supernatural, but also writing ability, look up LouSlips. Unbelievable!
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
[at] Moongrim Sir I don't look down on you or anyone. If you felt that way I apologized. I'am very humorous and I have a great imagination trust me. But I felt like your comment didn't help much and I just thought you was trying to be funny because that was strange to me because I said the head lights actually hit it and it was just a black mass of darkness. I don't know if there's a time travel cloak, who knows but sorry if I wasn't excepting of that theory. But thanks for commenting. 😁
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
[at] zzsgranny I understand your concern but I have not taken a nasty attitude toward anyone. I am just responding back to what I felt from the comments. It was really sweet you was trying to clarify everyones explanation on the story. By the way "duck" is to lower and thrust downward and its not the same as "went" MAM!:-) But I got what you was trying to say. All my responses are not gone to be positive or what everyone wants to read. I appreciate people participating but don't expect me to kiss feet just because you commented. It's not hard to get on a page you was intending to get on to comment on people you don't know stories people. 😆
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-10-26)
[at] javelina I know what my exact words were, you don't have to remind me. I don't have a issue with someone expressing their thoughts, I was simply responding back to the comment you made about "ducking". I felt like you made it seem like it was trying to hide or you was trying change what I was saying. It was obviously a miscommunication. But If I directly speak to you, I would expect you to speak for yourself and not everyone else. We are all individuals and if I'm just talking to you about something particular on what you stated than, there shouldn't be a need for "we" or "us" cause I was just talking to you. I didn't say the same for everyone. Thank you for commenting 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
[at] Redninja,
And?
I'm sorry if you feel insulted by the comment I left for you. I can assure you, that was not my intention.
I certainly am surprised by your reaction to those of us who took the time out to read your experience and felt compelled to offer our opinions, advice and accepted theories on the subject you asked about.

Your exact words...
"What do you think of these shadow figures and what are they?"

We gave our opinions and advice freely. Asking nothing in return. Some even thanked you for sharing.
For the life of me, I cannot understand how any of our comments would have warranted such remarks from you.
Oh well, I'm sure you had your reasons.

Jav

~INDIGO...you're back!~
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
Uses this post to announce IM BAAAAAACCKK!

Let me assure you that moongrim is not being funny. I like the laser idea grimmy!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
Redninja: I don't understand the attitude you've taken with Nysa, Javelina and Moongrim... None of them were doubting your story, only mentioning that the the "shadows" you all saw may not be "shadow people" in the more traditional sense, and it's possible that you saw a spirit or ghost and not a shadow person... The phrase "ducked behind a tree" is the equivalent of "went behind a tree", she didn't mean he squatted down LOL... I like Moongrim's suggestion about the laser pointer, and I believe he is sincere and not trying to be a "funny guy"...
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
I don't know RedNinja, are you trying to be Patronising?

If Shadow folks absorb all light, then what the heck is a laser going to do?

Shining a laser at a pilot can blind one. Just imagine what could happen to a stalking shadow person.

Try using your imagination for something else for a change.
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
[at] Nysa The story his sister told could of been far fetch but its things in this world that you really can't explain so I'm not gone to knock all the way. But yes we both seen it but I didn't know he seen it when I did at the time. My story is 100 percent true.
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
[at] Oerath thank you that made me feel relieved. Its good that you have some knowledge on this and it help me a bit... 😉
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
[at] Moongrim are you trying to be humorous? Funny guy hmm but let's stick to the serious business. 🤔
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
[at] scott4730 could you share a story about your experience? I am interested in hearing it.
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
[at] javelina the shadow figure didn't duck it vanished behind the tree, I could see through the branches and I look around it while walking, I never took my eyes off it.
scott4730 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-24)
i too have seen shadowed figures. When I see them they are dressed in a long black hooded robe. I don't understand them but I have had my fair share of scary experiences with them
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-10-22)
It's difficult to say what or whom shadow folk are.

For lack of a better explanation- they're folks "just" in our dimension. Or they could be time travelers, able to be perceived "just" a bit. Or they could be cloaked in some kind of 'cloaking device' to avoid interacting with this timestream.

They're always blacker than black. As if they're absorbing all ambient light.

Which makes this electronics technician wonder, what such might occur if you pointed a laser beam from a laser pointer at them?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-10-22)
Redninja,
Myself, I believe there is a difference between the traditional "Shadow person" and entities that, for some reason, cannot manifest themselves fully.
The differences may be subtle, and I really couldn't give any good examples. Right now it's just a theory, and I wish there was more we knew about the phenomenon.
I'm thinking the figure you witnessed at the beach along with the one your boyfriend's sister has witnessed at home, may not fall into the traditional shadow person category. Neither seemed to be, and I am only assuming this because it wasn't mentioned by you, giving off a feeling of superiority or carelessness of how you perceived them. Whereas, the beach figure had ducked itself away after passing behind a tree, and the other seemed more playful like to your boyfriend's sister. Again, not your typical shadow person modus operandi.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-21)
It seems unusual that you both saw it. I am trying to think if I have seen any other accounts of entities perfectly fitting the shadow people description being seen by more than one person at a time. Something that moves doorknobs & peers around corners does not seem to fit with the description of shadow people that assumes they are a different kind of entity than other spirits that are seen. Of course that might be a false distinction.
Redninja (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-21)
Awww thanks because my boyfriend younger sister said she seen one but it never hurt her. It use to jiggle the door knobs and peek over corners and she would run up the stairs really fast to her room. But it did creep me out and I have not seen it since but thank you!
Oerath (30 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-10-20)
Shadow People are a well known, though little understood, phenomena. The good news is that they are more often harmless than not. The bad news is that it's not always easy to tell the unpleasant ones apart from the rest. Shadow People in general have a tendency to attach themselves to individuals, usually for short periods of time, and mostly seem to just watch. Odds are it's not something to worry about, but caution is to be applauded. Good luck! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: