You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Threatening Entity Or Playful Misinterpretation?

Real Ghost Stories

Threatening Entity Or Playful Misinterpretation?

 

Before I begin my actual experience, I think a bit of back story might help for insight. I've grown up around things of spiritual/paranormal nature. My Father, earlier in his life, was avidly into metaphysical healing, tarot readings, and other things of similar nature. Maybe I'm just more open to these types of things, I really don't know. I've often thought that my small run-in with an Ouija board could have opened a door to what happens to me, too, but again, I really don't know. Perhaps someone with more insight could provide a shinning light on my situation.

For the past few years I've had several different encounters with paranormal figures, and I am usually very reluctant to speak about them, for fear of being misunderstood. One in particular seems to come back often, and in unexpected moments of my life. A black figure, who by it's essence feels male to me, has been showing up in the dark for quite some time. At first I would just be lying in my bed in the dark, and would feel the room change. Out of the blackness I could make out the outline of something much darker, the 'figure'.

It started out by it just standing there and me taking notice. There had been an occasion where I had bunk beds and a friend of mine, sleeping on the top bunk, told me one morning she had noticed a man standing and watching her. I only ever see the outline, never the man, but her getting the gender right left me a bit unsettled.

There were a couple instances where I would wake up in the night, and the feeling would creep up, beginning with my legs, that something was nearing me. I would feel pressure on my legs. Sometimes it would merely hold them down, other times it would wrap it's hands around my ankles, and other instances it would pick up my legs and move them. I've always been unable to move or speak during those early encounters.

The two most recent with this same being have been within the past year. I had been lying on my bed about to go to sleep when I felt the presence of the figure behind me. I felt a pressure on my cheek, as if a hand were being pressed upon it. Normally I feel terrified, or nervous when it's around, this was an encounter of a calmer nature.

The second, and most recent, happened within this past November. It happened at a friend's house, and this is the first time something has ever followed me out of my bedroom (or at least, to the best of my knowledge). Her and I both fell asleep on her living room couches, and before I had fallen asleep I recall sensing it standing in the darkness of the lower level bar area, just watching me. (For a mental picture, the layers of the house were living room, then the kitchen/dining area, and where the figure was sensed happens in this open bar area slightly lower than the kitchen, by about two stairs.)

I awoke to a feeling of something actually lying on my legs and trying to reach up and grab my arms, in an assumed attempt to fully pin me. During this encounter, opposite of the normal situation where I am unable to move or speak, I was able to struggle and actually call out my friend's name. It went away.

In the morning when she awoke, I told her what had happened and she told me she had sense something in the house, too, and that she remembered hearing my voice but she was too deep into sleep to really acknowledge my call.

Aside from speaking with my Father about this, I've only ever told my friend (who I had called out to in the most recent experience) about this being. Any insight into what the possibilities of this are, or similar experiences would be appreciated greatly. I have never been sure as to the nature of the figure, it could just be playfully messing with me and my initial fears are just an overreaction, or it is something much darker.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mgraves, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Awwnold (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
I have had similar experiences a long time ago where I am asleep or half way asleep and awake but I am cognizant of everything in the room. I see a black shadow sometimes 2 or 3 in the room but I CAN'T MOVE. It is known as "sleep paralysis". The shadows or dark silhouette of men have clawed me, other times they apply pressure to my legs, and sometimes they have pulled me off my bed. But I'm a person who looks for patterns and try to understand when and what conditions are prevalent that allows these incidences to take place? For me personally it has been during the lowest points of my life. Alot of stress, trauma, grief, and anger from a crap load of drama unleashed in that specific window of time. Spiritually I was also at rock bottom. My roommate at the time was also a very negative person. Alot of fighting. The whole apartment reeked of negativity. Anyways as life has its pendulum. These hardships and dramas subsided, found a better roommate, and a lot of healthy positive changes were underway. And with it my "sleep paralysis" pretty much disappeared. What I'm trying to imply or get across is that maybe all this stuff is happening because someone in the house is spiritually hitting the curb and this resonates all over the house which in turn draws these "dark silhouettes".
mgraves (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
[at] thehoots What I can see of him, is just a shadowed outline of a man. No hood.

[at] dakotabiscan It's been suggested even by my Father to try and speak with him, but I'm always just a bit fearfully overwhelmed when the occurrences happen, so I've yet to try that.
michaelsaladfingers (34 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
ive had very similar events within a few weeks. Have you tried talking to him? If he seems like a threat, he is a threat. Its instinct,kinda. You know what I mean if this actually happened to you. Good luck.
Audrey24 (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
I have also experienced the same thing, except it sometimes happens even during the day... I see shadow figures and constantly feel like I'm being watched, but I feel like there's 2 seperate spirits, one that I feel is female that doesn't, bother me but then there's this other spirit that especially at night I get this feeling somethings in the room with me and ill lay completely still, wide awake and the pressure and feeling of someone laying down or sitting on my bed and the side I feel it on, it gets ice cold and my bed sometimes lightly shakes all over, stereo turning on and off and the blackness wherever it is... I thought the house I lived at was haunted but wherever I have stayed and new homes I have lived. In over the years its still there and its always spurratic, I would go weeks with no experiences or anything happening then suddenly it comes back... I have put up with it for 18 years starting at the age... I sense its a male, but messes with me. I have researched and have never quite got my answers I needed and my husband left me because of these things. If you find someone that has answers or can help you... Please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.
thehoots (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
This is a very interesting case. Is this a hooded apparition or can you actually see its a man? My best guess would be to bless your home with holy water (or room) and see how this entity reacts. Its easy to bless your home. You must have faith, of course, and bless and sanctify each room in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Also say, "May all wandering spirits be sent to their proper abode and may they find rest." You may never see this entity again or if it becomes agitated you know you need to seek help. 😉
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
Wow I seen shadow people but never close up and never in my living space scary I would look into to finding out more about it try researching the history of your house. Then try to find out about the nature of this being. Before all this look into ways to protect yourself from it. You never know it may want something or need you to help it in some way, maybe your father knows someone who can help in finding these things out but I wouldn't put off doing these things the sooner the better because if it does mean you harm its not going to wait try to make your move before it does know what I mean? Wishing you all the best!.
zapamay (3 stories) (40 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
This to me sounded at first like a guardian angel... Like he was putting his hand on your cheek to see if you were okay, or just so you felt safe. But pinning you, and then going away because you called out... Sounds more evil. This is very weird... I don't know what this could be. I have had my share of "watchers" who just stand there and watch you. It's really creepy. I don't know... You should ask a professional because honestly I have trouble making this out... And normally I can tell.

Good luck! Love, Zapamay ❤
Sir-Boy (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
I have been in your shoes as far as this type of thing is concerned and personally I felt it dangerous to become too comfortable with this kind of event. Sleep paralysis is indeed a frightening phenomenon but I doubt it's the case here. I would be weary of allowing yourself to become too comfortable with touching and interaction with the shadow. But that is my personal opinion mostly based on fear of non-human entities.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Zanator what makes you say that most reported paranormal activity takes place in th U.S.? Where did you get that data?
lil-ghost-lover (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
That's a little creepy I've had a few times I feel the presence of another being there have you noticed a specified time it shows up that might be helpful in finding out what it is sometimes stating something like " please leave you don't belong here" to the ghost with a symbol like a cross helps and sometimes stops encounters completely hope this helps
Good luck
Lil-ghost-lover

This comment from Zanator is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Ok, I'm sure most people here are going to suggest what you'd experienced is what they call sleep/paralysis and I too believe in regards to feeling pinned on your bed or touched at any given time is the reason behind those accounts... Sleep paralysis normally occurs when a small gland in the back of our brain called the penal gland limbers in transit between sleep/wake cycles, it's job works like a light switch that takes us into our sub conscious which is our spiritual consciousness and brings us back to our wakening state of mind and this is where the illusion of an separate entity S/P can occur,it's created from with in the walls of our own mind and somehow transcends into the sensation of a separate person on most occasions, the catalysis for S/P is fear and by your own omission at times you are terrified... I believe also during this transitional state of mind depending on the element of fear or lack off... Other real paranormal interactions can occur also... The shadow you and your friend saw may well be a ghost and for most people who have seen a ghost at one point of time will suffer from sleep/paralysis for reasons previously mentioned.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: