You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: A Gorilla?

Real Ghost Stories

A Gorilla?

 

The first thing that struck me, that day, as we entered the deserted premises' of Robinson Married Quarters, was the number of newly-dead ducklings. Pathetic little bundles of yellow fluff dotted all over the back yard. I was at once, dismayed to see this dismal sight.

My friend from next door was taking me to see where horrible and strange happenings had occurred over the past few weeks. This happened in early '71.

Apparently, this all started happening when the man of the house, lost a leg in a mine accident, and had to be boarded from his job. Shortly after this man returned from hospital, his daughter started waking up in the middle of the night, with something sitting astride her, pinning her to the bed. This happened quite frequently without her seeing any visible evidence. Eventually, one night, she awoke to find a 'gorilla with red eyes' sitting so heavily on her chest, that she was being pressed into the bed. She screamed out for help, but when her step-mother got there, the creature had disappeared. No one in the house believed her.

A few days later, the man's Mother came for morning tea. While lifting the hot tea to drink, the 'gorilla' appeared, jumping right onto the old ladies lap, causing her to spill the tea over herself and the 'gorilla'. At this, the creature screamed (in pain?) and leaped off, disappearing once more. This time, several family members witnessed the 'gorilla'.

The teenage daughter had a scary incident one day, when she opened the pantry door, a large rinkals (type of snake found in South Africa) slithered out. She ran, screaming for help.

The step-mother, for some ungodly reason, had been to see a sangoma (witch-doctor) in Alberton, to have a curse put on her husband and his family.

Well, that curse certainly seemed to have worked! One night, the entire family disappeared, leaving the house still furnished, AND open.

As my friend and I entered the back door, the atmosphere was thick and heavy with a sense of evil. We had a quick look around, and then got out super-fast. We never touched a thing in that house; we were too scared that the evil would 'rub off' on us.

That was the first time that I had ever heard of such happenings, and was very curious. But, definitely not curious enough to ever go back.

Thank you for reading my story

Other hauntings by Fergie

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-22)
Hi quest66, if you can tell me which part of the world you are from, and what your cultural background is, I can try to help you.

What were your feelings when you saw this creature? Were you afraid, just startled, or only curious? I am sorry for all the questions, but I need the answers before I can even attempt to help. Oh yes, and was it only once that you saw this being?

I will await your answers with anticipation. 😐

Best wishes,
Fergie
quest66 (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-22)
This "gorilla with red eyes" sounds to be the same thing that has been harassing me. My spirit healer says there are many spells cast upon me, could one of them have brought this thing as part of them?
When I saw it for the first time it sat on my sofa like an ape. It and I had a stare down of sorts then I looked away, when I looked back it was gone in less than a second
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Shlain
It seems like you did that duckling a good turn by kidnapping/steeling it! Good for you girl! People who don't care about animals, don't deserve to own them. 😐
Yeah! This entity can take many forms... I have heard many descriptions in my time...strangely, no two exactly the same!

No, I don't remember the ad. Where the guy put his bed on bricks; but I know that the woman that got murdered in our back yard did. She had strange tales of a wizened little man, wearing a red blanket over his shoulders...creepy! 😨
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Fergie,

The ducklings! 😭 Reminds me of the time when I kidnapped (more like stole) our neighbours last duckling. The others were all dead because the idiot would go away for weeks at a time without feeding them. I ended up giving it to a lady that has chickens (and takes care of them) and she let me know the chick was accepted by the hen as one of her own.

I don't even like saying the name of this entity. I am scared. Looks like it takes many forms. Sometimes as a dwarf-like creature.

Remember that commercial where the guy puts his bed on bricks?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-02)
Newhunter, you are right. If you look at the situation, from that perspective, it is hilarious! Hummm, thank you guys, for a 'fresh' look at the story. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for reading, and commenting. 😊
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
You know Fergie I would have to agree with Sceptic about it being funny. I believe its the thought of seeing some lady sitting with a cup of tea and out of nowhere comes this giant gorilla jumping on her lap.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
Dear Ari,

You found my story funny? πŸ˜•
Well, it wasn't really meant to be... But what the heck! I say, "Take amusement where you can, life is too full of tears"!

You have not offended anyone, I am sure; certainly not me!

Thank you so much for your comment, you brightened my day. 😊
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Dear Fergie,
Except the dead ducklings and the disappeared family part, I found the rest of the story uncannily funny πŸ˜† (I apologise if I offend anyone). A nice narrative.

BTW, have you read my one and only story?

Thanks
Regards
hnmpara (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-13)
hey guys WANA KNOW IF ANY OF YOU GUYS AND GAL WANA GO GHOST HUNTING PLZZZ CAPE TOWN πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-19)
Hi Beautifuleden, a picture of a Tokoloshe you say? An actual photograph? Wow! I am sure that is rare! It would be great, if you could track down that article. I am sure that a lot of readers here would like to hear what it has to say!
Thank you so much for your interesting post. ❀
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-18)
Hi Fergie, yes I also have heard so many Tokoloshe descriptions before... But a few years ago, I saw an article in a newspaper (I wish I could remember which 1) where someone in a location had snapped a photo of their tokoloshe and it was published! It look just like a furry little gorilla type creature and that image has always stuck with me lol! I must try hunt down that article for you ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
Hi Beautifuleden, thank you for your comment.
I personally have never seen a tokolosh! I have heard many descriptions of this creature, no two alike. Who really knows what the heck it was? That was only the description I was given on this particular occasion. πŸ€” πŸ˜•
beautifuleden (2 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-22)
Hi all, I think that it was maybe a Tokoloshe, and not a gorilla because it had to be small enough to jump on the old lady's lap? And they are small and furry...
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
Thank you MoonFall, for reading my story & commenting. Real gorillas can be scary, as was this one (or so I was told). I am very glad I never encountered this particular 'gorilla', as it seems it was 'sent' by a Sangoma (witch-woman/doctor).
I don't fear snakes, but I certainly treat them with the greatest respect! They can be pretty unpredictable critters at the best of times. πŸ€”
MoonFall (1 stories) (48 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-31)
WOW...I was afraid of those creatures when I was small (guerillas). And I hate snakes now. Very interesting story
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
Hi Anneke, Yes, I remember 'Orknie Snork nie'. We used to laugh so much at the antics. We actually knew the 'Oupa' from the story. Oom Daan used to have a stall at Florida Lake farmers market; we had one there too. He used to sell venison & 'vlak vark' (yum) 😊
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-08)
I'm sure not all the native stories are 'bulltwang' 😊 I always think of the Afrikaans program 'Orknie Snork nie' when I say that word πŸ˜† Can you remember it Fergi and Nordic?
Jav, yes this site can be very interesting, and addictive...

😲
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Thanks Jav, I actually read the accounts by Trix, quite some time before I became a member. Along with all the other tales from S.Africa, I decided to add my 2c worth. (South Africa has a whole site to themselves! Wow!)
I have come to see what a caring person you are ❀! Despite the fact that you know how to kick butt, when neccesary!
Thanks again Jav, I am off to read your latest story now.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Fergie,
I have completely forgotten one thing I had meant to mention before now. We have another veteran poster from South Africa. She hasn't been on in a while, but that just means she has been rather busy (I suppose anyway). Her name is Trix, and she has some very interesting experiences as well. If you are interested, just put her name into the search box at the top of the page.
Enjoy! 😊

Jav ❀
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Fergie,
Thank you for the reply. It seems since I found this web site, that I have learned more about other cultures than I would have ever learned otherwise. I figure it must be because here we have no other worries about the outside. Everything focuses on the paranormal, so the rest of it doesn't get in the way so much. While all other current events change from week to week, the paranormal has certain constants to it. I don't know if that makes much sense, but it does seem much easier to understand a culture when you get into their beliefs and the paranormal experiences those people share.
What's really funny is that none of this ever even occurred to me until now. 😁

Jav ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Thank you Jav, I am glad that you have learned someting of the whacky beliefs in S Africa. πŸ˜‰
I thank you also for taking the time to read my story, glad you liked it.
It is always good to get a fellow country man/woman to co-roberate on points of interest, as Anneke and Nordic have done. Here in SA, there are many languages spoken, and many belief systems in place; sometimes, things get lost, or distorted in translation.
The tragedy being; 'muti' murders still occur on a regular basis, not only in rural areas, but in/near big cities as well. 😨
Thanks again for your interest, any questions you have, I am sure, will be fielded by 'our team' to the best of our ability.
Fergie ❀
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Fergie,
This is a very interesting experience. Not just for what you have shared, which I did enjoy reading by the way, but also for the conversation it brought forward. I feel I have learned a little here about South Afrikans and their cultural beliefs. Some of whibh are quite frightening, but very much a learning experience. Thank you for sharing. 😊

Jav ❀
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Hi Nordic, Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. It is good to hear from you again. I used to have an English/Afrikaans dictionary once upon a time, but lost track of it over the years. It is so good to see another S.African joining the 'fray'. The more, the merrier! Whether it be to back me up or to correct my misconception or mistakes.
Dankie Nordic, vir jou hulp. 😊
Nordic (44 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Hi Fergie, just on a point of clarification:

"Yes, I have heard of a 'gool', I think the direct translation is Ghoul. My impression, when hearing about it before, was that it was a poltergeist. You have just brought light to these old eyes of mine."

You were completely right with your first impression. "Go
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Hi Anneke, I recall a similar story - something to do with a sangoma and eggs, taking a death curse off someone... It was such a long time ago. At the time, I dismissed it as folklore. πŸ€”
At the time that I was living in the old mine house, I has a 'coloured' maid. We used to sit in the kitchen, near the coal stove in winter; she used to tell me all sorts of tales of the different native tribes. It was so fascinating, but some of her stories, I took 'with a pinch of salt'. Perhaps, not all of what she told me was a lot of bull...?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Hi Kryodrache, Voodoo is very similar, only difference is, voodoo seams to have a hint of catholisism to it. The practices here in S.Africa have no base on any christian religion. Often people are murdered for body parts, especially children; to make 'muti' (medicine, bad medicine!) 😨
Sangomas' are also known to be traditional healers. Many Natives will still go to a sangoma rather than a medical doctor, to cure their complaints. A sangoma is also known to make 'love potions'; 'binding potions' etc. So not all are bad. But, they are certainly not people that I would mess with!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Ja Fergi, I think in a case like that you're not going to look where the muti is buried! πŸ˜†
That ex boyfriend's (I wrote about in My freaky life 2) mother (Loraine) had a death curse put on her by her ex husband's wife. All bad things happened to her, and she went to a 'white sangoma' for help. The sangoma took two normal eggs and transfered the death wish from Loraine to the eggs. When he broke the eggs open, stuff like black blood came out!
I will never go to such extreme measures (I think)
I was raised that it's a sin to believe in stuff like that. I believe in this things though, but will never practise it if I can't help it.
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
...I just gotta say, this story reminds me strongly of the movie Jumanji. It definitely sounds like a case of voodoo, to me! 😁 That's quite odd.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Dankie Anneke, Good to hear from you again! This is the story that I alluded to on one of your previous stories. Lol!
Yes, I have heard of a 'gool', I think the direct translation is Ghoul. My impression, when hearing about it before, was that it was a poltergeist. You have just brought light to these old eyes of mine. πŸ˜‰
You are so much more experienced in these matters than I am. 😊
Sangoma's can be very powerful! I have no doubt in my mind that they can cause all sorts of bad things to happen.
South Africans can understand these matters so much better than the rest of the world! (As far as Sangoma & Nyanga, also 'muti' are concerned.) I didn't look around for where the muti was buried; that was none of my business, also, I didn't want to get involved.
Thank you for a very interesting & enlightening post to my story.
Soentjies xxx
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Hi Mr, thanks for your post. It is so interesting to hear that you have a family story with similar details. Please DO tell! That sounds absolutely fascinating. I am so glad, that I am not the only one here, to have heard of the 'gorilla'.
Thank you so much for taking an interest in my story. 😳

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: