You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: City Lights And Strange Sights

Real Ghost Stories

City Lights And Strange Sights

 

So this is another one that I've been meaning to post and figure out, though again it seems to have more to do with parascience than the paranormal.

When I was in 5th grade, we lived across from my bestfriend in a small cul-de-sac neighborhood on the outermost point of Gresham, near what locals call "Mt. Baldie"-an old timber harvesting mountain, not too huge, that sends a shadow over half of older Gresham. Well, its a quiet area but, one night me and my friend were sitting up backwards on my moms couch, looking out of our bay window at the mountain (the sun was setting and it was pretty), when all of a sudden these ENORMOUS flashes of light boom, that looked like an explosion, except that there was no noise. They came in succession three times, and then the sky went dark. We thought that was pretty nifty so we went to go tell my mom, who only gave us a weird look and said that she didn't see anything. Well... What the heck right? So we go tell my stepdad, who repeats what my mom said.

Well, forget it then, we decide, and we go to bed. All is normal and life goes on but while we were living at that house there were times, only after the lights, that flashes of white light (I'll add that the big lights were fantastically colored, like the northern lights almost) through my bedroom window and feel a sense of dread and nervousness.

Well, turns out I'm not the only one who's been through this. My roommate, when I brought the story up, says that other people he knows have seen the same things and have also seen UFO type crafts around the mountain and have had extreme sleep paralysis episodes which I have also had/have.I've been scoping out the mountain, but that same feeling of nervousness overcomes me, and when I tell people about the lights, 99% of them just give me a weird look at shrug it off.

I have thought about it thoroughly and there's no lightsource that could spread past the mountains peak and go that many times, with those many colors, so frequently. Its a creepy thought, considering that mountain overlooks my current home, but its still a little fantastic to tell people about, I feel.

Other hauntings by AndreaRC

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AndreaRC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Well, since everyone has started to put down their UFO sightings, perhaps I should relay one of my boyfriends'...

He was at a christian camp for a week or so with his best friend. At one point they headed outside for a breather, because Paul's friend is... Not really atheist, mostly agonistic, as in, he believes there's a higher power, just not sure who. They were having a discussion inside that he wasn't really interested in. A few moments after hanging around outside, Paul mentioned he was hearing a low humming noise... That suddenly stopped. They both looked up... And high in the sky, they saw an asterisk with a glowing viewport. Just a flat, flying asterisk, made up of nothing but cubes. Understandably, they both went inside.

When it came to heading back home, they saw it again, and they stopped their car on the road to watch it, because the noise had apparently drawn its attention; the asterisk had turned towards them. A few seconds, and then it moved off; Paul and his friend took off in a rush back home. (This all occured in Arkansas.) I might ask his friend eventually about his version of the events.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Anneke, The 'candle flame' light incident happened in the mid 70s here in Randfontein. It was almost sunset, on a cloudless evening. My husband was working late, so I decided to give the kids a treat. I went out and bought fish & chips for supper. I lit a candle, just for the novelty of it. We usually ate in the kitchen, but that evening, I decided we should eat in the living room. The girls sat on the couch, with their backs to the window, I sat across the coffee table from them, with the food and candle between us. I noticed what I thought was the reflection of the candle flame, but high up on the window. I pondered this for a while, but realised that it was still to light outside, also, a reflection would be much lower down. Up until now, the orange light, had remained motionless. I jumped up from my seat, ran to the front door, only to see it speeding away. A few days later when our weekly newspaper was distributed, we saw the story about people in Witpoortjie (about 15 minute drive from us) who had seen the same thing. Only, with them, something had fallen to the ground, burning, next to the railway tracks. 😕
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Fergi, strange that you see these things too!
Me myself had a few encounters in South Africa.
When I was about 10 years old, me and my family traveled to Stutterheim in the Easter Cape. On our way, we past a small town called Beaufort West.
My father stopped at the petrol station, it was about 2 in the morning and everything was dark. In the sky we saw a big light as big as a wheel coming towards us from a distance. It moved very fast and when my father put on the car's headlights, it just disapeard into thin air. The next day there was a article in the paper about people in Paarl seeing a 'UFO' and the description was exactly what we saw that night...
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
I've seen what I feel was an UFO also, my brother and I were looking at the stars and remarking how bright one of them was, when all of a sudden the star we were talking about all of a sudden shot straight up in the sky.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Hi Andrea, Once again, a good story. I too, have seen strange things in the sky, not lights per se, but one that changed colours. Another, that looked like a candle flame, that suddenly zipped off to the east, at an incredible speed. There are so many people out there, that are ready to debunk our stories, that I almost forgot about mine.
I wish you luck in your quest for answers/the truth. 😊
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
I've seen a few flashing lights like that before... I remember heading outside (I'm in Oregon City) and just seeing these really peculiar flashes. We have a spotlight nearby, but there was no way that was a spotlight I was seeing, it was just too abnormal. I had another experience, coming down the mountain from California, where we were being chased by a dense fog... And there was a very, very angry red oval of light just glowing in the clouds not far off the road, directly over a spot that had no towns or farms or anything under it. Everyone in the car went silent to see it, we were all creeped out. Oftentimes I'll see lights in the sky that are moving way too fast to be planes, too... So I think it's quite plausible you're seeing something very unusual.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
I think Moongrim was referring to Portland as being Oregon's largest city. A misplaced comma may have caused some confusion. At any rate, there are probably many explanations for this. I don't know what they are but I hope some other YGS members will be able to shed light - no pun intended - on your mystery. Thank you for posting, Andrea RC.
AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
And Gresham is NOT Oregon's largest city. That'd be Portland. Gresham's big but not the biggest, at all. Portland is four times the size of Gresham and encompasses roughly 45 districts and 2 counties. THATS our biggest city.
AndreaRC (12 stories) (31 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Gresham isn't close to PDX,actually. Its a good hour drive from this area and 45 to and hour and 15 via MAX. Planes don't even reach altitudes that are close enough to begin landing when they pass here so...no.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Considering that Gresham is close to the Portland International Airport, and Oregon's largest city, I'm not the least bit surprised you got to see bright flashes of light, 'ufo's' and similiar.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: