You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: In Pakuranga

Real Ghost Stories

In Pakuranga

 

It has been two years since I heard this account, but it still sends a shiver of terror down my spine when I think of it. It was told to me with such conviction and gravity.

I hope my puny effort to reproduce my nephew's words can convey his feelings.

The weekend before we left New Zealand, our nephew George, came to his dad's house to say goodbye to us. We were all sitting in the lounge chatting, when the subject of creepy houses and weird occurrences came up. Most of the following occurrences were confirmed by my brother, Rob.

In the early years, shortly after emigrating to New Zealand (from South Africa), my brother bought a double-storied house in Pakuranga for his family of five. This is where these experiences occurred. The family no longer lives there.

George, the eldest of the three children, had a very personal account of when he was about twenty years old. He was asleep, as was the rest of the household; the house was in total darkness. As usual, his door was ajar. He was startled into wakefulness by a dreadful commotion. He said the nearest thing he could compare it to was the sound of cats fighting in his room. As if this wasn't eerie enough, what followed, was downright scary.

A sensation of incredible evil started to permeate his bedroom. The temperature in the room dropped abruptly, and George was left shivering. Suddenly, his duvet started to raise. Not just a corner, or a portion, but the whole duvet all at once. He watched in trepidation as it rose about twelve inches off the bed, then plopped back down again. The frightful noise subsided, and the temperature returned to normal, leaving him badly shaken. He jumped out of bed to see if the rest of the household had been disturbed by the racket. No lights, no movement - nobody else had heard the furore. Mercifully, this only happened on one occasion.

Many times, if one of the family was alone in the house, the wooden stairs would be heard creaking. This would sound like somebody with a slow and measured tread ascending the stairs. The entity always went up; it never came down the stairs.

The family owned an old clock; the wind-up kind. This clock had not been wound for years and was used purely as an ornament. One day it chimed, much to the amazement of the whole family. Everybody in the family denied touching the clock, much less winding it. This only happened once, so this occurrence may have a natural explanation...possibly.

Regrettably, the subject of ghosts and the supernatural never came up during the times that we saw our two nieces. No stories from them, not even confirmation of George's stories, more is the pity.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
I am glad that you and your partner stayed strong and that you had each other. I don't know what these kinds of things are but they only seem to pray on us when we are defenceless like being asleep or getting to that stage. I've seen black shadowy masses with glowing eyes but never a face.

Thank you for sharing your story with us 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-12)
Hi Meldel,

Do you ever come out my way (Randfontein)? I am kind of house bound until after Xmas. No transport while Ray is working in Rustenburg.

I don't have any friends, or neighbours, that I can share my stories with anymore. There was a lady who used to live next door, that saw an apparition in my dining room, but she moved to Pretoria.

The lady across the road had some strange goings on. Large shaggy shape jumping onto her bed in the twilight - but when I tried to tell her about what was going on in my house, she got all 'upperty' about it. After that, I just shut up.

Email me, if you wish. My address is on my profile.
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
Hi Fergie.
Looking forward to it!
I don't have many friends who share my interest in ghost stories.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
Hi Meldel,

Thank you for reading, and your comment.

My grandson lives in Honeydew, though I haven't been to visit him yet; he only moved there recently. You also live quite close to my daughter in Struben's Valley. Maybe I will see you around sometime?
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
Hi Fergie.
Thanks for the very interesting story! I live in Honeydew (Roodepoort), very near to the Wilgeheuwel hospital. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Hi there Val,

Thanks for your impressions, that would make sense to me. Two young, evil, pranksters out to scare the living crap out of another youth. It would definitely fit the bill.

Hmm, they also thought the footsteps on the stairs was residual. Strange how they were always going up, but in Nicky's home, the shadow/steps are always coming down. To each his own, eh?

True, nobody was hurt this time, unlike George's experience here in SA - where he saw the domestic worker bashed into the wall.

Thank you for your comments Val, it is appreciated. ❤
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-09)
Hey Fergie, 😊
Poor George. Of course I don't KNOW, but I get the distinct impression that that house had more than one ghostie. As you were describing the incident with the duvet, I thought of two young guys (around George's 20 years, or a bit younger) arguing over whether to scare him or not (cat fight?). No intent to harm, just scare. Then agreeing to lift the duvet. As far as I've seen, spirits don't alter material, do they? A soft duvet, will remain a soft duvet, so it would take two to lift the entire thing at once.
Of course the footsteps on the stairs could be residual, but from the description, it sounds like an older man. Perhaps tired from hard work, making his way to bed.
Although scary, at least no one was ever hurt. They can be thankful for that!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-09)
Tweed, I agree with you, how much more of a scare can a person get. If it were me, I am sure I would have dissolved in a puddle of poop! 😨

It's not often I write scary accounts, and thankfully this wasn't my experience. I much prefer my own *mundane* experiences.

Thanks for reading, and your comment, Tweed. Nice to 'see' you again. 😜
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
Fergie, my god poor George! Honestly, what is the point of ghosts doing crap like that? They're just bully boys, end of. That's got to be among the scariest ghost encounters anyone can have. I'm sorry George went through that.

Thanks for sharing though. Scary/horrible as it is, it is interesting how these things occur. Though interesting doesn't seem like the appropriate word choice here.😲
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
Hi Jubeele, thank you, you have just brought something to my attention which I overlooked before. The fact that three of George's senses were involved with his experience. I had never thought of it that way before. Definitely no lucid dream then!

I also grew up in a house with a large pendulum wall clock, hand-carved; an heirloom inherited by my brother in NZ. I can also remember it chiming once, after being stopped for a few months. Thought nothing of it at the time, just surprised.

Thank you for reading, Jubeele, and glad you have enjoyed my accounts.

I must be honest, having been absent for a while, I haven't yet read any of yours - off to do that now.

😉
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-08)
Babygoatpuller, my faithful friend, how lovely to receive a comment from you. 😁

I doubt there is any chance of getting a history of that house. It is more than ten years (I think) since the family moved away to a different town. A history may have proved rather illuminating; also to know if any subsequent occupants had any weird experiences.

How strange that your animals didn't hear, or react, to what you heard. They are usually the first to give the alarm. Hmm?

I don't think my nieces are aware of my interest in 'these things', or how deep their belief is either. I am not in touch with either of them, only George; I suppose I could ask him.
I was reticent to bring up the subject of the supernatural in their presence, as the last time I had seen them they were still little. Also, I had only heard of George being party to anything out of the ordinary.

I notice I didn't receive a comment from you on my previous submission, maybe you missed it. You know I look out for your comments, my friend.

I have had a couple of non-scary things happen recently. I hope to write of them in the near future.

Thank you BGP, for reading, and your kind comment. ❤
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Hi Fergie, how frightening for George. The fact that more than one of his senses were engaged shows that something weird was happening and he wasn't having a lucid dream. He heard a commotion, felt the temperature drop and saw the duvet levitate. Wonder what could sound like cats fighting? Since he was the only one affected by the phenomena, then someone or something wanted to get his attention. The sense of evil is troubling - I'm relieved the family no longer lives there.

My parents using to have a big pendulum clock that stopped working ages ago and once in a long while it would startle us like that. I'm sure there's a logical reason, like the clock was overwound and retained some kinetic energy, heat contraction from humity, temperature change or something? As for the stories regarding sudden chiming of clocks - I'd treat that as an urban myth. Think positive thoughts for positive energies!

Thank you for sharing George's experience with us. I've really enjoyed your other accounts too.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Fergie my friend! You never disappoint with your accounts and this hair raising one is no exception.

Any chance of getting any history info on the house? What with all that sounds residual, I'm wondering if any of it could be connected with the duvet incident.

Manafon's telepathic sounds theory sounds intriguing. When I heard the heavy footsteps in my room, both my cat and dog were in the room. The cat, on my bed next to me and Rosie on the floor next to the bed. Neither one of them budged and those footsteps were heavy and loud. And nothing would get by Rosie without her yapping like a maniac and Tucker bolting like a bullet out of there!

Are the nieces aware of your belief in these things? Maybe if you dropped a subtle hint about it one of them would speak up. Me, I have no problem blurting out stuff about my "visitors" to anyone who will listen. 99% of the time nobody listens and if they do I always see the not so subtle "eye roll".

It's always SO good to hear from you Fergie. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your return. 😘 ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Melda, I reckon George was only too grateful that his scary experience wasn't repeated. It is possible the evil was just passing by.

We also concluded that the footsteps on the stairs were residual - everyone in the house heard those.

I would dearly have loved to hear if the girls had had any strange experiences, but the opportunity to ask them never arose. I didn't want to 'force' the issue.

Thanks Melda, you know I appreciate your comments. ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Manafon1, I love your analogy. Thank you for taking the time to hunt one up.

George is a big strapping lad of 6ft 7in, so I guess not much intimidates him. I was somewhat surprised to see the ripple of fear cross his face as he related the duvet experience, and accompanying sounds. I am sure he will be relieved to hear that there are others who have experienced something similar.

The impression I got when he told his experience, (with his dad in the background) was one of trepidation mixed with relief. I don't think he has told too many folks of his paranormal experiences.

Thank you for reading Manafon1, and your comment. It is appreciated.
😊
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Fergie - What a very scary experience for your nephew 😨. Fortunately only a one-off event. It never ceases to amaze me why a spirit/entity chooses one person to play out such terrifying behaviour and then never repeats the performance! Perhaps a "passer-by"?

The steps on the stairs could have been residual or a different spirit entirely. The clock, of course, couldn't have been residual.

It's a pity your nieces didn't have anything to add but perhaps they just weren't open to discussion on the subject.

As always, an interesting account from you.

Regards, Melda
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Hi Fergie - Really interesting account. The weird and very loud commotion that was only heard by your nephew George reminded me of a similar account which I was able to locate after searching a bit. This account comes from the book "Apparitions" and nicely illustrates how a person can hear an apparitional sound while another person very close by doesn't.

The case involved a landowner and his tenant. One evening the tenant asked the landowner to come into his house to have a cigar. Refusing, the landowner continued home. The tenant told the landlord, "Then if you will not come, goodbye". The landlord then spent the rest of the night in his house and commented that, "it was a bright clear night", and that a slight snow had fallen. At around ten that night he went into his breakfast room and while studying a book he distinctly heard his front gate open, the sound of footsteps coming up the driveway which then seemed to move across the gravel and then onto the grass by the window the landlord was nearest. He could hear labored breathing on the other side of the glass which was followed by a bizarre sound.

"Suddenly, like a gunshot, inside, outside and all around, there broke out the most appalling shriek - a prolonged wail of horror, which seemed to freeze the blood. It was not a single shriek, but more more prolonged, commencing in a high key, and then less and less, wailing away towards the north and becoming weaker and weaker as it receded on sobbing pulsations of intense agony".

Like George, who found that nobody else in his house heard the weird sounds he had heard, the landlord found his wife in the very next room, "only 10 or 12 feet away from the corresponding window in the breakfast room", and she had heard absolutely nothing. Apparently the tenant had comitted suicide that night around 10 PM. There were no footprints in the snow outside the landlords house.

Sorry for the long example here, it's just that I love finding cases with similarities. In both cases no one else in the respective houses heard what another did and would have if the sounds had a physical cause. Seems likely George experienced telepathic sounds simultaneously with the physical element of the duvet rising. It's too bad you haven't been able to confirm George's account but it seems likely that that house was indeed haunted! Interesting stuff Fergie.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: