You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dead Baby In The Road

Real Ghost Stories

Dead Baby In The Road

 

I am 48 years old. I always considered myself a sensitive since a young child, however, the experiences have gotten fewer as I've aged. Perhaps I have become more cynical and stoic in the years, or I am just not as open as I used to be, I don't know, but I have had numerous experiences. Since I just found this site, I will start with a brief one and maybe will share the more detailed (and scarier) ones later.

I guess I was about 17. I remember it was early March. It was one of those nights where there was both a light fog and spitting rain. My best friend had his own car, a baby blue Ford Pinto, a putt-putt car at best. If we had money for gas we would drive around on Friday nights doing nothing in particular but listening to the radio and talking. Occasionally we smoked some pot. We picked up one of our girlfriends who was usually able to get a joint from her older sister, this night being no exception, but I want it to be known we had not smoked anything before the event.

We were not on a dark country road but a common thoroughfare where there was normal traffic in front and behind us, travelling 35-40 mph. Karen was newly sat in the back seat pretty much still saying her hellos and how are yous, etc. I was in the passenger seat. Jack was a very careful driver, almost always driving too slow.

Suddenly in the road ahead was what looked like a baby, half wrapped in a pale pink blanket, blood smeared across its face. I would guess it was about 10 months old. Having come up upon it so suddenly through the vague mist and rain in the road, we simply glided right over it. There were no bumps heard under the car or anything. It happened so quickly.

After a few seconds of disbelief I dared to say, "Did you see that?" Afterall, maybe it was just me who saw it.

Jack was silent. Karen asked, "What?"

"Did you see that in the road?" I repeated.

Jack finally croaked, "I'm not even going to say what I think that was."

Karen was pressing still, "What? What?! I didn't see anything."

"It looked like a dead baby," I said finally.

Karen laughed and repeated. "What?!"

I told Jack to turn around immediately, but he didn't and he still didn't concur with me on what that was in the road. He took a long way around up to the main highway and through the back neighborhoods to go back to the original spot. We were only past the site for about 15 minutes total before we returned. I was terribly impatient to get back there! And was annoyed at Jack who I believe was just too terrified so he purposely didn't turn around despite my pleading.

As we reapproached I expected to see other cars stopped, an ambulance, anything to prove that we just witnessed a baby dead in the road as if it had been tossed out a car window or thrown into oncoming traffic from the roadside.

There was nothing there.

I expected bloodstains, tire marks, people gathered. Nothing. We even went around again but there was no sign that anything unusual occured at the spot in the road. I scanned the sides of the road. Nothing, not even a baby blanket.

We did smoke the joint, but that just made the experience more heightened in my head at least. The others, I'm not sure, except the next day at school, Jack pretty much dismissed it.

"It was probably a possum," he said.

"No it wasn't, it was distinctly what we saw it was..." besides, if it was a dead opposum, it would still be there dead, worse, flattened.

The subject was dropped between us, but I scoured the newspapers for weeks looking for anything that might tell of this accident. I went back there myself. There was never a sign of anything, but I had always wondered about the house just near that spot that sat back from the road, a dirty unkept place that looked like it was split into several apartments. I think someone once said it was a half-way house for young girls in trouble. Hmmmm-- but I never checked that out for fact. If it was indeed a murder or an abortion or whatever, certainly someone else would have seen it, there were so many other cars travelling right over it as we did. Maybe by reading this, someone else will come forward.

For years as I drove past that point on that same road I have always wondered. Still do today. Jack and I are still friends -- middle-aged men now yet we have rarely talked about it again until just recently. We recalled the incident, sharing the story with some friends around Halloween time, and we are in complete agreement that what we saw that misty night was a dead baby in the road.

Other hauntings by mjames

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mjames, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kasturi (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-11)
i am so freaked out... First of all I am scared of babies... And now this baby ghost seriously creeps the crap out of me... Cool story maybe i'll have a ghostly encounter for teenage memories...haha...well I would expect an adult or a teenager but never a baby ghost 😆 ❤ 😢
navy123 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-28)
i wonder if it needed help... Or maaybe in desperate need of attention, still poor baby 😢
123angela4 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
Awwwww poor baby What kind of parents/guardians would leave a baby in the middle of a road 😭
ShawtyRach (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
WOW, that sounds like it would've been quite scary! You could have been having hallucinations? Still that is really creepy, hope to hear some more stories from you 😆
Rach 😊
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-18)
I do believe I'd have jumped from the car.
The choices you make when you find yourself in an entirely unexpected situation can haunt you for the rest of your life. But if I were traveling slowly enough to determine the age of the infant, I'd have had the door open and been out without even thinking.
I'm not strong enough. When it comes to babies or children being harmed, I just can't handle this reality. It should not be.
aman_yooo (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
That is really creepy, did you try to research that area, maybe some baby could have been murdered and left in the middle of the road and that's the reason that road is haunted.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Wow, I saw the title and was really, really hesitant to read it but was hoping it wasn't really one... It's sad but at the same time a relief. I would have physically made my friend stop and get out to look, I understood it is scary but one should still try! As for the reference to smoking, I know you stated after and it heightened the paranoia, this isn't going to help when going back. Glad everyone was and is okay though.

Stay safe and good luck in the future! ❤
mjames (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-24)
Reading all the comments is a great affirmation to this experience -- it IS creepy!
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-24)
hey moongrim, you could have a point there... Maybe the "baby" had a message to tell: don't stop for anything that looks innocent, or clothed in pink, even something that looks small and harmless can turn out to be very dangerous - appearances can be deceiving.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Michah: The reference to the pot is in the second paragraph:

..."but I want it to be known we had not smoked anything before the event."
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Dont understand why your mate wouldn't stop immediately if he witnessed it on the road with you, seems a bit wrong even if there weren't any bumps felt.
Either way I agree with what Javelina has pointed out, it seems like a residual imprint was witnessed by you both. Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
mjames (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
No urban legend -- never heard of it. I never heard of any other hauntings on that particular road. Just a reminder this was around 1979-80.
ghostsrreal202 (6 stories) (27 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
Misstee

If it was a prank with a doll, they would have felt a bump when they passed over it

That is a really creepy story, though! 😭
Micha_1998 (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
[at] crecentblue03 oh 😜 Sorry I was skim reading! Please tell me, where is that stated?
Micha ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
mjames,
I really would have been pissed if my friend wouldn't go back immediately. The whole thing is just too creepy! However, I do believe you saw what you say you saw. I also agree that it must have been a residual imprint. The emotional aftermath from an incident like the one you witnessed, makes it almost a given. The fact that you haven't heard anyone else talk about seeing the same thing makes sense as well. Sadly, others probably reacted in the same manner as your friend. Denial, and refusing to believe their own eyes.
Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to reading your future submissions.

Jav 😊
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
Very strange! I also think that old house and the baby has something to do with each other. Perhaps one of the mothers put her baby in the road, woman do strange things when they have the baby-blues.
TechnoDawg (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
Either it was what Moongrim said, or it could have been some prank, but I do not think it was anything paranormal... 😕
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
...because it was stapled to a chicken...

For some reason I'm getting the vibes of an Urban Legend here...

Http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/carseat.asp
Preciouspip (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
It may have been tricks on your mind but it could be true, you have been really honest with what you saw and it could have been a sight form the after life x

Pp x
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
Well dear Micha I would agree with you but, It was stated in the story that the baby was seen before anyone smoked any pot. Besides I smoked pot before in high school it just makes you light headed at best but it does not make you see things. I think it was a residual ghost of a baby that was seen sense the house near by was a house for unwed mothers because it was a ghost that would explain why they didn't feel a bump when passing over it. Hey mjames do you remember what time it was you saw this ghost baby?. Have you tried going back there at the same time you first saw it if it is a residual its an event repeating itself. I also advise researching about the house for unwed mothers you may even uncover some think if you look into newspapers from around the time the home for unwed mothers was open, just a thought. Thanks for sharing REALLY CREEPY!
misstee (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
Could it have been a prank from maybe someone who lived in the house nearby? Maybe they put a doll or something on the side of the road. Is there any stories about the road being haunted?
SparklinBurgndy (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
How awful! It sounds like the home for wayward girls would be a likely culprit if there was any way you could check that.
mjames (2 stories) (10 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
We had NOT smoked any pot before we saw it. Also, marijuana is non-hallucenogenic. I would certainly accept that as the cause if we had and if it was.
Micha_1998 (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
Well, I believe that it could've been due to the pot you smoked, and the mist perhaps gathered so it looked like a dead baby 😕 Maybe I'm wrong? Still, creepy story 😲
Micha ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: