You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Is There A Ghost In The House?

Real Ghost Stories

Is There A Ghost In The House?

 

On November 1, 1971, we moved into our OWN house. We had watched it being built, and were so excited when we moved in. I admit, it was a 'council house', but my husband was working for the municipality, and was allowed to buy it.

Our three girls shared a bedroom at first, until everything could be sorted out to my satisfaction. Everything went well. No problems of any kind.

In a few years, the eldest was going to school, then the next one and two years later, the last. At this time, I had a full time job, so did not get a lot of time to help our girls with homework etc.

When my Aunt from Kimberley, wrote to tell me that she had to vacate her house (which she had inherited from her mom, my Gran), I gladly invited her to come live with us. She had never married, so, had no children to look after her in her old age. She had helped my Gran look after me, when I was young, so it was only fair to look after her as she grew older. (Also, she would help our girls with their homework - BIG factor.)

Auntie, with the money that she got for her house, built a 'flatlet' onto our house. A lounge, bedroom and en suit bathroom. Unfortunately, due to the size of our property, the only inside access to the house, was through the main bedroom, although, she had her own front door.

Fast forward a good few years... The children had grown up and left home. Auntie was still hanging on... She grew very frail, but continued her usual practice of taking her meals with my husband and me, then watching TV with us in our living room, until bed-time. Most of the day, she would spend in her lounge, reading or napping.

Often on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday, when she was not with my husband and I watching TV, we would see her pass the doorway at the end of the passage and go into our toilet. My husband used to grumble, and ask me why she did not use her own.

One day, after seeing her go into OUR toilet, she took so long, that I went to see if she was ok. To my surprise, the toilet was empty. I shrugged it off, thinking that we had been too busy watching TV to notice her departure.

In February 2003, Auntie passed away in hospital from pneumonia, at the ripe old age of 93 ½, after living with us for 28 years. She is sorely missed, even after all these years.

Strangely enough, even after her passing, we still noticed her 'going to our toilet'. The only thing is, now we know it is not her. The other evening, during a discussion with my husband in the kitchen, we realised that we are seeing different women. He sees a woman in a long dress, walking upright. I see a woman, bent with age (maybe with osteoporosis, like my Auntie had.) Both he and I see the figure going into the toilet, but very seldom, see her coming out.

One night, I was in the living room alone, suddenly, my hair was parted at the back, by a huge breath of air. I swung around, startled, and before I realised that our cabinet with DVD player, amplifier etcetera was only about six inches away, said "Don't DO that"! I was mystified. No way could anything human have got behind me, and there was no draft in the house.

About three years ago, we were given a pair of pitch black Labrador x Rottweiler dogs (brother and sister). We already had a very unsociable Boerbull female (she hated men) but that was ok. Sasha had to be kept in the back-yard anyway. We kept our two black beauties in the front yard. Zeus and Cleo adapted well as they were only one year old. All was going well, until one morning in August, we discovered that all our dogs had been poisoned. Zeus was only barely alive! It was too late for the two females. We phoned our vet, who managed to get here and save Zeus, but only just!

After that, Zeus made a slow recovery in the house. He became a spoilt brat, being let into the house every night. He took up residence in our living room, sleeping on 'his own' couch. Every night, when he was well enough to eat solid food, he was (and still is) given a large bone, as a treat. He usually runs straight to the kitchen, where he sits in front of the fridge waiting for me, while I lock up the front of the house.

We noticed that on some nights, he refuses to enter the kitchen. He will sit in the passage outside the kitchen door and whine. Not even a juicy bone will coax him into the kitchen. On other nights, he will come into the kitchen, take his bone, but stand looking at the door to the passage, whining all the time. Then he will make a dash, skidding on the tiles, to get past the couple of inches of passage, and into the living room.

On one of the nights that Zeus refused to enter the kitchen, my husband and I were both in the kitchen, getting water before retiring. My husband said something to the effect "So, there is someone else here tonight". We left the room together, and commented to each other that we both had 'goose bumps'. Well, the goose bumps lasted all the way to the bedroom, and for some time after that. We confirmed with each other that it was the first time that that had happened! Never before had we had a hair rising experience in the bedroom.

One night last winter, my husband had retired to bed early, as he had a migraine. I was kept busy in the kitchen until about 9pm, then decided it was time to turn in too. The light was on in the living room. I noticed that the one chain from our ceiling fan was swinging wildly, and one bunch of keys on our key holder (there is place for four bunches) just inside our front door, was also swinging. My husbands' snores were resonating from the bed-room. That night, despite the chill outside, Zeus was very reluctant to come in doors. That night, he spent on the mat at the foot of our bed, not moving, until we let him out in the morning.

We are quite comfortable with our 'residents', even though there are sometimes 'things that go bump in the night'.

My question is, do you think we were just too busy, while the girls were still in the house, to notice anything out of the ordinary?

Thank you for reading my (boring) story.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-05)
MizM, thanks for the comment. Yes, business as usual, plus a bit extra! Last night, hubby was asleep next to me already. I started hearing soft knocking on our headboard. It sounded like it was coming from between the two of us, but higher than our heads. I even 'traced' Ray's hand, to see if he could be doing it in his sleep... It wasn't him! This is the first time that this has happened! So...?
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-05)
Thanks for the update. It's always nice to see if the activity has subsided, or if it's business as usual. 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-05)
Update: My hubby was distracted, just after midday, by our shadow/ghost, moving swiftly past the open doorway, and into our toilet. So; our spectoral visitor is still with us.
Zeus, our dog, continues with his perculiar behavior... Some nights he will come into the kitchen for his treat; on others, he will not step a foot in there... 😕
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Thank you Krys, for reading, and your kind comment. I suppose that Auntie could have become a residual haunt now, I never thought of it that way before!
The week that our dogs were poisoned, 7 other houses in our street, had the same sad state of affairs. The worst part was, we had our youngest grand-daughter here at the time. I had my hands full, trying to keep her from seeing this distressing sight.
You have hit the nail on the head! Jav IS VERY insightful! I always look forward to her comments.
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-09)
Not a boring story at all Fergie. Quite the contrary! I tend to agree with the assumption that it may be your Auntie in different stages of life. Sounds like perhaps a residual haunting? Just saying...
Sorry about your dogs. I too have lost pets (cats) the same way and it's beyond me how "people" can be so cruel...
Javelina is pretty incredible isn't she? Very insightful... Gotta love her.

Krys
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
Thank you Rook, So all are good in my home. I think I should burn Vanilla more often ~ to enhance memory. Both my husband & I need it!
You are amazing - on the container of the Pakeezah, it reads "Padmini products", Bangalore, India.
I burn incense in my house on a pretty regular basis, I just love the aroma; not for any religious or spiritual reasons.
Thanks again, you have been a great help (as always)!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
Fergie,

Your story, your questions... 😁

Lets see... What I remember off of the top of my head...

Sandalwood = used to heal and protect, also for purification.

Vanilla = used to stimulate amorous appetites and enhance memory.

Lavender = used to bless and purify your actions, past and future it also encourages forgiveness.

Pakeezah = (Real Rusty on my 'Middle Eastern' Scents so this may not be 100%) used to create an atmosphere ideal for formal ceremonies. It is also belived to help combat illness. (Also referred to as Padmini Pakeezah Masala.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-23)
Hi Rook, Question: I have at home the following incense sticks ~ Vanilla; lavender; sandalwood; & something called Pakeezah, made in India. Do you by any chance know what the uses for these are? Besides making hour home smell nice?
I would be happy if you could let me know.
Sincerely,
Fergie
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Hi Martin, I am glad that I could be of assistance! I thought I might have been a bit too 'over the top' & was getting a bit irritating! (Glad I was not.) 😐 ❤
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Fergie, you weren't a pest, I actually appreciate to be told when there's a bug on this site, I can't have eyes everywhere and I like to be able to count on users when they encounter one, especially something of that importance. But yeah, this bug was a b*tch to fix. 😕
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
Hi Martin, Thank you for all your hard work. It must have been a mammoth task! I am sure I can speak for the other posters that had their narratives cut short.
Sorry that I was such a pest!
Hope you have no further problems.
Thanks again,
Sincerely,
Fergie. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
Hi Martin, Sorry to bug you again. The last half of this one is still missing. 😢
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
OK folks, THIS IS SPOOKY! Who hi-jacked the rest of my story?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-24)
Hi Anneke, My young friend. The lady, if she came out of our toilet, (bathroom & toilet seperate in this house) went straight ahead, down the passage towards our bedroom. I never saw her, except as a shaddow, against the light coming from our eldest daughter's bedroom.
Yes, if the lady had carried on going, through our bedroom, she would have reached the granny-flat!
No, the house where my Granny was seen by Angel (our daughter) was in Kimberley, Northern Cape, when we were visiting. We live in Randfontein, Gauteng.
If seen from the side, Auntie & Granny, would look very similar; both had curvature of the spine, both were of a similar height. We were not living at our present address when Granny passed; we were still in the old mine house, so I don't think it could be Granny that we see. 🤔
I am happy that you didn't find my story boring. 😊
I too would like to do something evil to the person/s that poisoned our dogs! People that do things like that have got no heart, nor love for animals! 😐
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
O yes, that person who poisoned your poor dogs will burn in hell! If I get my hands on him/her... 😠
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-22)
Hi Fergi my friend. Not boring, very interesting story! Where did the woman go after she left the bathroom? Did she went to Auntie's grannyflat? In what
House did you see your granny's ghost? In this same one? Could it have been her perhaps?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
Thank you Miss EV, and thank you again!
Anyone is allowed to stay at my house, as long as they stick to the rules; be they living, or living impared. Why can't we all just co-exist? 🤔
I am glad you enjoyed my tale, thank you for your comment.
MissEmoVampire (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
I liked your story. It was not boring at all. It was very intertesting.

Its good to know that you accept the unknown residents in your home.

Some poeple don't always accept Paranormal Activity but you do which is good x 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Jav,
I am so happy for me too! And here I was, all this time, thinking it was something nasty, just trying to scare me!
I had to think hard; but yes, this must have happened just shortly after Auntie passed.
Zzgranny is right, I really should keep a journal, even if things only happen rarely now. 😉
Thank you for the second time today, for solving mysteries of mine. ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,
That is wonderful! I'm so happy for you! It isn't every day that we get these signals, and it is so special to know it fits her personality.

Jav ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Jav, I think you are BRILLIANT! Auntie used to plait my hair for me, when I was little. I think it just may have been her. That was a very inteligent 'haunt' then! 😊
That is all I can think of.
Thanks a span, for all your help. ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,
I wish I could answer that for you with some kind of certainty. The only thing that comes to mind is that it may have been a loved one passing through saying "Hello". Because the act wasn't threatening, that is about as good a guess that I can come up with. Think... Was there a relative or friend that has passed on that had a particular affinity for your hair maybe?

Jav ❤
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Jav, Thank you for the new twist. Now THAT is some food for thought! You are so insightful. (Did I spell that right?)
That is highly possible. There was no real bonding between Zeus & Sasha. They only saw one another through the iron gates, but couldn't really interact.
Ok, can you please figure out for me, who blew on the back of my head? As I don't think it was the woman.
Pretty please? 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Fergie,
I have a whole different twist on this situation, as far as your dog is concerned. I'm thinking it may not be the woman/women that he has a problem with. I have a feeling it is Sasha. You said she was unsociable. And with her being kept out back, with the other two out front, there may not have been a whole lot of bonding going on with them. She may see him getting all this special attention and just doesn't like it. He feels that and is responding accordingly.

Jav 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Thank you Shellzy, I am so glad your enjoyed the read.
I know, people can be so cruel, the vet said that the dogs were poisoned with oven cleaner; that would have burned their whole alimentary canal - very painful!
Yes, strange, but my husband & I do see the lady differently, she was always on the same path, between the toilet & the far side of the L-shaped passage. (Past an open bedroom door, with the light behind her)
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Hi Roseinbloom, thanks for reading. Yes, I tend to agree with Miracles too, it does make sense.
I am glad you enjoyed my story.
😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Granny, thank you for your comment. I think you are so right. I swear, strange things may have happened, but have been brushed off 'in the heat of the moment'!But, between work, the house, & 3 teenage girls, who the heck knows? The girls never mentioned anything 'strange' to me, nor did Auntie or my husband. Also, back in the day, nobody was 'ghost hunting'.
😉
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Thank you Casper_the_Ghost, for your kind words. It is possible to get used to shadows in your house. But, never once did we get creeped out by the experience. 🤔 The shadow business happened only in the day; the Zeus story, happens only at night.
Thanks for reading & commenting.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Thank you Miracles, You have given me food for thought. Did my husband & I see the same woman at different stages of her life? Very good question!
My encounters have not been so 'up close & personal' as yours; except for the blast of air on the back of my head.
I hope you are feeling MUCH better now, it's horrible to be sick 😐
Thank you once again, for your input 😊 I am glad you liked my story.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-12)
Great reading Fergie I really enjoyed reading your story. I'm sorry about your dogs too, how someone can be so heartless is beyond me 😢
I find it interesting that you and your husband see this lady differently. I have often wondered if ghosts manifest themselves to appear to people in a way that only they will recognise? Thanks for sharing 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: