You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Devilish Print

Real Ghost Stories

The Devilish Print

 

I'm a Malay guy so English is my second language, so sorry for my English.

This incident occurred around 12 years back. At that time I just started working in an insurance company here in Kuala Lumpur. I live in a 2 stories terrace house with my parents. My siblings all are married and have children so they live in a different house. So, normally it's just the 3 of us. Although occasionally my eldest brother and elder sister do pay us a visit & sleepover at our house.

Back to my job in the insurance company, I got a position as an accounts clerk and although I despise the subject accounting, my close friend back from our school days has already worked there a few years prior to me joining the company, so I said, what the heck. At least it won't suck because he's there. He joined early because he got the job straight after finishing primary school while I continued my studies. I dropped out later due to health issues.

So the first day when I got to work, I was fortunate enough to be placed in the same department with my close friend. So I was assigned to my supervisor and he brought me on a tour of the entire department, introducing me to other coworkers. So, after all the introductions, my supervisor briefed me a bit about my duties, etc, and later I was shown to my cubicle. There were about 10 rows of 3 cubicles and I was placed at the right end cubicle. My neighbor was a girl around my age and she was very pleasant to me, often helping me out if I was unable to do something.

As usual, there was a lot of work to be done in the accounts department and people normally stayed up to do overtime to finish up their work. My supervisor offered me to do overtime and I instantly replied in a heartbeat and said, "No problem." Well, you know, I had just started working and I was enthusiastic LOL. Office hours finishes at 5:00 pm (if I'm not mistaken) and usually we will have like 30 minutes of break before we start our overtime.

So, it was fun. I have already started a few days of overtime. So normally, we finish up around 9:30 pm or 10:00. After that me and my friends will go have a drink at local mamak store.

Then came a day when my friends did overtime for only a few hours, meaning to say they had to go back early because of some other things. So, at around 7:00 all my overtime friends had gone back and I was left alone in the office. I said to myself, "It's okay, I'll be fine, I just need to finish up on some work." So, I worked alone.

So I continued my work alone. Then suddenly... I was shocked as I heard the office printer at the side of my manager's room, suddenly printing. It was loud because back then they used the dot matrix printer, the one that used the ribbon for ink, "Hmmm..." I thought to myself. "Maybe the printer is connected to some other departments and maybe some reports are being printed out by someone else in some other department and printed here for our viewing." I try to dismiss any thoughts of supernatural. Because, I thought, it was normal. But then I remembered, the few days back that I have stayed in the office, I don't remember the printer printing at this time of the day.

So, I paused my work and decided to have a look at what the printer was printing. "It could be some accounts report," I thought to myself. So when I finally went over to the printer and looked at the printing on the paper, I was confused because the printer is printing out words that I do not understand. It's not even in a form of a report. It's just letters, words that makes no sense. It's like as if someone were to type gibberish on the paper.

It's something like this: Asrfsoe rtw$#&ptjw rweortweot dsmrffn mtwet dyer eri%&^tiohyiowo Asdasr etoerto$^%geh grtyeitnasrt eyoyoeoy Rtiertyeryj eryprtypert operterZ&^* rtrtert

All of the thing that was printed were pages of pages of gibberish. You get what I mean.

I was thinking to myself, "What the hell is this?" and the printer kept on printing gibberish. Suddenly it dawned on me that something was not right, and so I quickly got out of the office. The printer kept printing even while I was on my way out. I went straight home and slept. I didn't want to ponder about it anymore. "There has to be an explanation to this. Tomorrow, I'm going to ask my friend."

The next day, first thing in the morning, I asked my colleague. "Is it possible if someone else from other department to print using our printer?" and he said "No, it's not possible. Our printer in this department is only for this department's use. No one else from outside of this department can access it." I was shocked when I heard my friend said that. "But last night, all of a sudden, the printer started printing on it's own. I was alone at that time and it printed out gibberish! Words that you can't understand." I told my friend.

He was shocked to hear my reply and he asked "Are you sure?" and I replied, "Of course I'm sure." Then he said, "Let's go and check out the printer now." So we hurried to the printer located at the side of our manager's room. When we reached there, to my dismay, the printed gibberish is nowhere to be found and we went to the printer early in the morning before anyone can even use the printer. It's not possible that anyone could have removed the printed gibberish as we were the first ones to reach the printer. Where did the printed material go?

The questions that still linger in my mind until today is:

1. How the hell did the printer started printing all of a sudden? Because my friend told me, only people in this department can access the printer, but at the time, I was alone in my department.

And the more puzzling question is...

2. What did it print? I'm sure no sane human being can interpret what was printed. Is it some devilish words? But now it's only in my mind because the printed paper is nowhere to be found.

That was the only time the weird thing happened and I no longer do overtime if I'm alone. Lesson learned.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jojambo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-17)
Best guess? If a printer is networked, then someone can tap into it, regardless.

Printers more or less, have their own coding sequences, often down to the particular make and model. A samsung black and white printer may not necessarily have the same coding that a samsung color printer would- for instance.

My own network at work, gives me access to printers clear across the country.

How do I know this? When I got a call from someone across the country asking me why I was printing stuff from their printer.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
I agree with the others. The other explanations could be a virus. Here at my office, our printer got a virus and proceeded to print out sheet after sheet of what looked like the Lucky Charms cereal shapes. Literally hundreds of them! Lol Craziest thing I have ever seen.
Jojambo (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Miracles,
Yup, that could be true...

Moonfall,
I have to apologize 1st because of the way I wrote "we were the first ones to reach the printer" sounded as if we were the only ones in the department, I apologize, that was not the case. There were other people too in the department at the time, if I could remember, it was just the 5 of us, me, my friend & 3 others. (if I'm not mistaken)

I wrote "we were the first ones to reach the printer" because I assumed no one would go to the printer early at this time in the morning unless that particular someone printed something at that time, early in the morning... And I think this was not possible because nobody in my office would be diligent enough to do work this early in the morning, let alone, print something. Normally they will start work at 9 am. So that's why I assumed I & my friend were the first to reach the printer before anyone else.

I could be wrong... Maybe there was a co-worker who took the printed gibberish away or threw it in the dustbin before we could reach the printer. Maybe that explains it. Oh how I wish I could explain to you in my mother-tongue as I'm not that good at explaining it properly in English. LOL. But I hope you guys understand my point...

Well, I don't think about it anymore, because it was a long time ago, 12 years back... So I just wrote the story here to share my experience with you guys.

Thanks again for all the feedback! I really appreciate it!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Jojambo - perhaps you have someone in your office who is as obsessed as I am about garbage and just got rid of it.
Jojambo (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Wow... I didn't think that this discussion would get so many comments from you guys. Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, back to the missing printed material... I can tell you for a fact that there was no way the cleaning crew could have entered our department as the doors were locked. When I left my office, no one was around but me because it was already night time. The cleaning crews would have been gone by then. Even their cleaning shift in the morning would start out a bit late in the morning, maybe around 10 am. Only my friend & 2 more supervisors had the keys to our department & even they were not there yet.
As I reached the office the next morning, my friend, me & a few co-workers were the only ones in the office at that particular morning. Maybe the co-workers are the one's who took it? Who knows. I didn't even bother to ask them.
I can reach to the conclusion that my other co-workers may have took it, but it certainly was not the cleaning crew.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
I thought the missing paper was dealt with already. The cleaning crew was most likely instructed to gather it up at the end of their shift.

Jav
MoonFall (1 stories) (48 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-16)
Hi:

I will agree that as a user of quite a few different pieces of software and technology, occurrences that are inexplicable do happen. My screen reader will sometimes start talking on it's own. Yeah, kind of freaky when I'm alone and nowhere near the computer.

However, I'm with Shubham (shubham, btw), how did the paper go missing? Especially if there was no one else entering before the writer and his friend entered the room to check the printed material.

Thanks for your story. Please do write more.:)
shubham1120 (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-15)
I would have agreed with you all. If only I could get explanations of the following-

What about paper dissappearing?

As o/p mentioned that paper in which that was printed went missing, and they were the first ones to check the papers the next day.

Now this is getting confusing!😢
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
Hi Jojambo, please do post again. You tell a good story even though I am with Miracles and Javalina - I've encountered all sorts of strange printer behavior and the explanations offered make sense...don't think it was anything paranormal this time.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
Jojambo.
Wonderful! Can't wait to hear more from you. I love that there are so many countries represented here. I have learned quite a bit about paranormal phenomenon from other cultures around the world. Thank you again.

Jav 😊
Jojambo (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
Jav & Miracle, thanks for the tips. I'm relieved that now that you guys mentioned that, anyways, it was a long time ago, so I'm good now.:)

There are other freaky incident that I have not written yet that I'm quite sure is paranormal, I'll leave it for you guys to decide. I'll write those soon & hope to hear from you guys too. I'm still new here. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
Jojambo,
Okay, let's start with the fact that it was a dot matrix, with inked ribbon, printer. And, yes, those suckers were loud. However, if I remember correctly, they had a certain protocol they went through at start up and again at shut down. I believe at start up it was priming itself. Then at shut down it was like a wash out, or dust off sort of procedure. There was no set design or format that repeated itself each time because it would have left wear marks on the roller, so gibberish actually makes sense. I can tell you that replacing rollers in those old dot matrix printers was not cheap. The large printing presses still used today have the rollers that are made of the same type of rubber. Keeping those rollers in good clean working order is a big deal. The slightest scratch on it's surface can render it unusable. The cleaning crew were most likely instructed to remove those sheets daily.
Not knowing about the start up/shut down protocol would have had me reacting the same as you in this case. Yeah, it would have freaked me out too. But my husband is a pressman (a printer), and you pick up a few things over the years. 😊

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
Jojambo - having worked with printers for almost 30 years, I can promise you that sometimes they can, and do, print things on their own.

Ever hear the old saying "Computers have a mind of their own"? Well, I can attest to the fact that printers also have a mind of their own. There have been many, many times that my printer printed all on it's own when I was the only one linked to it or the only one in the building.

Now, here are a couple of "theories" I have:

1. It could have been something sent to print earlier and for whatever reason, it just started printing at that time. Computers/printers do have "glitches."

2. What printed out could actually have been a "normal" report, but when it printed, it looked exactly like what you saw, but for whatever reason, it got screwed up. This happened just the other day at my work. One of my coworkers printed an email. Just a 1-page email. Her email turned into over 200 pages (I know because she is downstairs and I'm upstairs where the copier/printer is). Some of the pages were blank, others had complete and utter nonsense on them. You couldn't even read one word on the page. The only way she identified it as hers was " /10/ " on page and the fact that she knew she had printed an email. That /10/ was the date of the email she was printing.

3. I would guess that someone saw the printed "garbage" either after you left (maybe cleaning crew if your office has one) or before you got in and threw it away.

Honestly, I don't think there was anything paranormal going on here. I just think a document got "held-up" in the print queue and when it finally printed, that's what it came out like.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: