You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Man And The Lamp

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Man And The Lamp

 

I just want to start off saying that this is my first time posting a story. This happened a long time ago, sometime in the 90's. I can't actually say I know the exact date, but I must have been around four or five years old (either 99' or 2000) well this is how things would work in my house when it was getting close to go to bed:

Mom would leave for work (around eight or nine) and once she was gone dad would give me a shower. Then he'd get my Elmo blanket and pillow and lay me on the couch so I can start to fall asleep. Then, he'd leave me by myself (it was only mom, dad and I because my sister only came around on the weekends) and he'd get in the shower for about 20 minutes.

I was ALWAYS afraid of things. One little creak on the floor, a noise outside, the clock chiming! I always thought monsters were out to get me, I was deathly afraid of a doll named Chucky (I'm sure many of you know him or have seen the movies)

So there I am, getting ready for bed on the couch. The couch I was on was in front of a counter we have near our hallway. That hallway leads to the bathroom my dad was in. On that counter was an old lamp my father got from my great-grandmother. It was a special lamp you see, it was of an old sea captain standing next to a boat's steering wheel. It was so cool because you could actually move the steering wheel! It was old, wooden, and creaked a lot whenever you'd move it.

For some reason, I couldn't stop staring at it (I get distracted easily and tend to space out, sometimes I am unresponsive for minutes) Just as I was about to look away, I see and old, wrinkly hand grab the wheel. It was a large fat hand, so I assumed it a man's hand. It played with it for a few minutes, it spun the wheel about seven to eight times I'd say.

My vision used to be very good when I was young, but now I am almost blind without my glasses, so I am certain it was an elderly man's hand. I never saw anything else but the hand actually, about as far up to his wrist I'd say.

I giggled for a moment thinking it was my dad trying to scare me. But at that moment, I realized I could still hear my dad singing in the shower. The water still splashing. I didn't know what to do, but instantly I got VERY hot. I was dripping in sweat!

(I see a lot of people here saying they aren't afraid when they see a ghost, their just calm and relaxed. I always thought that was stupid and that they were lying, but I just realized now that I was very calm.)

I wasn't smiling anymore, but I was sweating a lot. And I mean A LOT. Finally the hand grabbed the wheel to a stop. It pulled away and disappeared forever. I never saw it again.

After that I couldn't help but look at the captain (the small wooden man on the lamp.)

His smile looked bigger (and spookier) than ever! That's when my dad came out from the shower. He asked me if I was okay, he said my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw him. He then gave me another shower because I was drenched in sweat. If I can remember correctly, I never told him or my mother what I saw that night.

A couple years later (2008) let's say. I'm in middle school. Its broad daylight, and I'm not afraid of monsters anymore! My dad's friend Paul was over, he was in the other room with my dad (They were down the hallway where I saw the man's hand mind you)

So I'm sitting on the floor a few feet away from that counter just watching cartoons. I look up for a brief second and see and elderly man's HEAD this time. It was just the top of his head. It was combed back and it was almost white. It didn't bother me because it looked a lot like Paul. He was in his late fifties so his hair was already grey.

I was just curious, so after Paul had left I asked my dad if Paul had left the room anytime during the time he came to visit.

He said: "No. He never left, why?"

I told him what I saw and almost instantly he replied: "OH! Well, maybe he did?" He sounded nervous almost.

I thought that was a little fishy but my dad isn't the type to hide things from me.

Nothing has happened as far as seeing an elderly man in my house (except for Paul & Grandpa! Ha-ha!)

That lamp is now in our garage and I can't stand to look at it, it looks SO scary!

Well thanks for reading everybody! I plan I posting more so if you thought this was interesting, stay tuned.

(as a side note: I am in my room and I just heard my father moan really loud from the shower... When he gets out I'll ask if it was him... Or If I'm just 'hearing things'...)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Vexer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

smixie (4 stories) (17 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
Geez you say "it was a long time ago" and then that it was the 90s. Way to make us all feel old!;) I echo the commentors saying to find the history of the lamp. And talk to your dad about it as it seems you haven't had a full discussion. Hopefully he will be open about it and you can feel like you're not crazy.
H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Pray for whatever is infesting the lamp to be bound in the name of Jesus and to be taken to His feet, there to do as He bids. Forbid it/them to ever return to the lamp or your home or your family to disturb or harm them. Place a spiritual hedge/barrier around your loved ones and yourself. Or... Sell the lamp on Ebay as a "Haunted Sea-Captains Lamp" for mega-bucks!
themiss (16 stories) (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
Like the other comments, I think there might be something attached to the lamp. Do you know where the lamp is originally from? Or is there history behind it? Otherwise there could be something with your house? Anyways it was a good story to read.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
The_Vexer,
It does sound as if there is a spirit attached to the lamp itself. I don't blame you for being afraid, it is a shocking thing for a young child to have gone through.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav
renatokun (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Thanks for sharing it. It seems the old sailor's ghost is attached to the lamp, but don't want to hurt or scare anyone. Maybe he just misses his sea travels. If your dad sounded nervous, but not incredulous or mocking you, maybe he's already seen something too. You should ask him about that.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: