Firstly, I have been reading the stories on this website for many months now, and I am totally fascinated with all the stories and encounters on here. I've been toying with the idea of submitting the story of my childhood home for a while now, and after discussing with my youngest sister we have decided to type out as much as we can remember. I must apologise for the length of this submission, we lived there for over 20 years so we have a lot to work with!
I'll give you a bit of background information first - I am the eldest of three sisters, I am 24 now, and my two sisters are now 20 (Bethany) and 18 (Erin). We first moved into this house in 1989 (I had just turned 2), and it is an end of terrace house in Hull, England. We had a large back garden due to the fact that it previously had two houses next door to it that had been bombed during WW2. In our back garden you could clearly see the gateways from the gardens of the old houses that had been bricked up. The house was a two bedroomed house, as you went in the front door it had a narrow hallway leading up to the stairs, on the right (just before the stairs) was the door into the living room. We had a large through living room, with the kitchen at the end. Upstairs was a bathroom at the top of the stairs, then you turned right onto the landing - when you went left on the landing you went into our parents bedroom, and if you went straight on you came to mine and my sister's bedroom.
When we first moved into the house my parents said that I would wake up screaming, saying that I could see people being horrible to animals. Whether or not this was a dream or just an overactive imagination I'm not sure, but it certainly freaked my parents out and seems worth mentioning. I remember when I was around 3 years old, I used to wake up and find my teddies (that were on my bed the night before) moved into different places around my bedroom - my parents both swear they never touched them, and even if they had have moved them I doubt they would have put them in different locations! My parents also said that when my sisters and I were all younger, we would say we saw a lady in a blue dress walk through the garden and through the wall, we all described this individually but none of us remember seeing it. When we told my parents where we saw her, we pointed to one of the bricked up gateways.
Quite a few years went by without us really noticing anything in particular, once I reached 10 years old things started to get strange. Bethany was 6, and Erin was 4. In the August of 1998, our maternal Grandfather died and our parents went through a tough period. Erin says she remembers waking up in the night on the top bunk bed and seeing a woman walk through the bedroom, she can't remember much but she says she was all white, but she can't remember where she went when she walked through the room. I also saw a woman walk through our bedroom, however the woman I saw had a blue dress on and one time actually had red eyes.
The timeline from now on is a bit sketchy as so many little encounters happened, but I'll try my best to list as many as I can in chronological order.
- One night in bed (I was in the bottom bunk, Erin the top, and Bethany in a single bed across the room) Bethany jumped up and asked me who'd hit her in the back. Erin was fast asleep and I was sat in bed reading - I didn't see anything and there's no way one of us could have hit her in the back and then run back to bed without her hearing or seeing us.
- Bethany and I both saw a black shadow of a dark, short, stocky man (we just felt it was male) stood in our doorway. It didn't feel particularly welcoming. This happened almost every night throughout our teenage years.
- One time (we were around the ages of 19, 16 and 14) my sisters and I were all sat in the living room with our pets (our room was directly above the living room). Our parents were out during the evening and we heard someone running around upstairs, we double checked and all our pets were downstairs.
- Erin and Bethany both heard what they describe as two women talking, coming from our bedroom and the landing.
- Erin and Bethany were asleep in bed (this is after I moved out for University) and woke up to violent banging on the wardrobe that went on for about a minute. The thing they find oddest is after it stopped, they both just went back to sleep! Erin heard this again two nights after it had first happened.
- Around the age of 12/13, I started getting small objects thrown at me when I was in our bedroom alone. They came from the top corner of the room, and were usually just small pieces of paper rolled up, or bent lolly sticks. I have absolutely NO explanation for this one, but it freaked me out!
- Bethany and Erin have also heard what they describe as people talking through walkie talkies in our bedroom, they couldn't make out what was being said. There was no TV or radio on at the time.
- Bethany says that she often felt her bed vibrating, and felt someone sit on it from time to time. I also felt someone sit on the end of my bed one afternoon.
- When I was 10, we adopted a dog called Zak - he passed away last year (aged 15) and was the friendliest, calmest dog you could imagine. For approximately a month (when he was about 10 years old), he would wake up during the early hours of the morning (he slept in the living room) and start howling, whining and barking (this was REALLY unlike him). Bethany went down one morning to comfort him, and while she was sat on the sofa with him she heard things being moved about on the mantelpiece. She didn't look up to see what was happening.
- We also have a cat named Feargal, on two occasions he would NOT walk past the bathroom, when my sisters went to investigate the lightbulb exploded. We also had lightbulbs fall out of the sockets with the fitting totally intact, but just the glass fell out (sorry if that doesn't make much sense, I'm not sure how else to describe it) - I must point out here that we had the electrics checked twice and both times were told they were totally fine. Plug sockets and lights would stop and start working as and when they felt like it seemingly.
- Another time I was in our room with Feargal, and opposite my bed was an armchair. I was sat stroking him and all of a sudden he fixated on the armchair. He's a very calm, good natured cat, but after about 30 seconds he arched his back, hissed, and ran out of the room. He wouldn't come back in that night.
- One evening my sisters and I had all gone to bed, both of my parents were downstairs and all our pets were asleep in front of the fire. Dad went into the kitchen to make himself a sandwich, he walked back into the living room to ask my Mum something, and when he went back he found a hairband with a flower attached placed on top of his sandwich. There was no way my sisters or I could have got downstairs without anyone noticing, and to this day none of us have an explanation for this.
- One evening I was out, Erin was in the bathroom, Bethany was in our bedroom and our parents were in the living room. All four family members describe hearing a "howling screech" throughout the house, but what was odd is that all four said they heard it as if it was in the room with them. All the pets were asleep downstairs and none of them reacted to it.
- Once I was in the bath and Bethany was sat in the room with me (we were all too scared on our own!) and an ornament flew off of the windowsill - not just fly off, but as if it came out, then dropped.
- Our parents went to bed one night, and were woken up at around 3am by our Mum's dolls house being rattled downstairs. This dolls house is extremely heavy and nobody can lift it by themselves.
- Bethany once saw a woman dressed in pink in the garden, and also heard many odd things such as little boys playing next door (where the house would have been before being bombed) and air raid sirens on multiple occasions.
- Erin once heard a little boy calling her name in the garden, and when our Dad said to her that there was no one around, she simply said "oh, must have been the ghost then"
- I was in the back kitchen making myself breakfast one morning, bent down to get something from one of the cupboards, stood up and saw a little boy stood in the garden looking in through the window. He then disappeared as quickly as he appeared. There was no way to get into the garden as we always kept the gate locked.
- My mum had a jewelry box that belonged to our Grandma (who died before we were born) which sat on the landing. Bethany and I would often hear the jewelry box open, the melody would start to play, and then the lid would slam shut. This happened on many occasions, sometimes without the melody playing.
There are many more things that happened; these are just some of the main ones we can remember. We heard tappings, bangings, whisperings, things being moved and people walking around nearly every day. We moved out around 3 years ago, but we still owned the house for around 6 months after we moved out. On two occasions when my sisters and I went back to sort out some things we still had there things happened.
The first time we were all in the living room and in our bedroom we had some large wicker baskets that had some of our things in. We heard these being picked up and dropped - suffice to say we ran out as quick as we could! On the second occasion (and the last time we stepped foot in there) we were in our old room reminiscing, when we heard a man laugh, and what we describe as a bowling ball being dropped on the floor next to us - it was that heavy we felt it vibrate in our stomachs. We ran downstairs, and as we were getting our bags and coats to leave, we heard a loud "HA!" (in a mocking tone) and saw a black figure run from the front door up the stairs.
Again, apologies for the length but hopefully it gives you some insight into our weird, old house! Happy to report we have experienced nothing in our current home now!