You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: The Broken Lamp

Real Ghost Stories

The Broken Lamp

 

This happened in 2005. I was in bed reading when I heard a crash and glass breaking. I thought something had fallen in the sink so I went down and checked the kitchen. Everything was neat and tidy and nothing was out of place. I returned to bed but kept thinking about the noise I heard. It was definitely glass breaking. So I got up again and went to check the kids, who were all sleeping. I went downstairs to the family room and turned on the lights. There was broken glass all over the hardwood floor. Also on the floor was a six inch taper candle broken in half.

The glass and the candle were part of a hurricane lamp I received from a friend as a gift. I had placed it on the top of the tv wall unit way in the back so no one could knock it off accidentally. In the front of the lamp was a large potted plant. In front of the plant was a row of bowling trophies hubby won. Now the lamp itself is solid brass holder and really heavy, with a glass cover. The candle was brand new and was never burned but more for a decoration.

ONLY the glass and the candle itself was on the floor! The heavy brass holder was still there sitting way in the back BEHIND all the other stuff. Nothing was knocked over. Looking at the candle, it was broken in the middle and melted where the break was. You could see that the wick was still unburned only the outside was melted in one spot near the break. The glass was in many pieces on the floor as if it was literally smashed to the ground with force.

By that time the whole house was awake. No one had any idea how the glass and the candle could land on the floor with all the obstacles in front and not knock over something if it fell. It definitely did NOT fall as everything was in its place including the actually holder.

Hubby thought it was probably a mouse. Unless it was HUGE and was on steroids or something to grab and lift the 8 inch tall glass AND candle and fling it OVER all the stuff then I need an exterminator!

The usual 'wind' theory hubby has was full of hot air. No wind in a downstairs family room with windows all closed and frozen shut in some of the other rooms as it was about -30C outside!

Everyone else heard the crash, but none of us have an explanation. As I was still wide awake and reading I would have noticed someone going downstairs as they had to pass by my room and the door was open. Was it a poltergeist? No idea.

A similar experience happened recently about a year ago. The girls are both married and moved out only the boys live at home as they are going to college (cant afford to move out yet) and they are in their mid 20's. They were downstairs in the basement entertaining some friends. As they were sitting there talking, the soccer ball on the shelf came FLOATING down and land with a plop on the floor. NO bounce. It was as if someone invisible took it off the shelf and placed it on the floor. All of them saw it and for grown young men they were 'freaked out' as they put it. If a soccer ball falls for whatever reason it usually bounces. It doesn't SLOWLY float off the shelf and land on the floor with no bounce.

We are second owners. This house is less than 30 years old and the original owners were a young couple with small children. This was the first time anyone had actually SEEN something move on its own.

My husband is the biggest skeptic. Even if he SEES something with his own eyes he tries to explain it away as nothing or his favorite the 'wind'. We have had stuff like footprints outside the house appearing from nowhere in the middle of the yard (noticed by the neighbor kid) and stopping and disappearing as if whoever walked flew away, banging on the bathroom door and you open it and no one is there and you are alone in the house, noises of drawers opening and closing and the latches making a tinkling noise (dressers all have pull handles) hearing voices upstairs when you are downstairs or downstairs when you go up and you are alone. Strange lights, and weird electrical problems like the blender turning on in the middle of the night by itself and it was unplugged! The tv turning on and off by itself or changing channels on its own just to name a few.

If this place is haunted then who is haunting it? No one died here and the neighbors new the previous original owners. I would love to hear from anyone who had similar experiences or even a logical explanation (other than wind or mice).

Other hauntings by Mindi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mindi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mindi (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Sometimes I think its just ME that attracts all this weird stuff. The odd thing is sometimes even my kids had/have experiences and they are way past the 'puberty' explanation. If it is all just one's immagination or an easy explanation by skeptics then I wonder how it is that so MANY people have similar experiences? Skeptics always try the 'rational' route but they fail to actually PROVE the so called rational explanations they keep saying it is. So if one rules out the 'wind' in a closed room in dead of winter (windows frozen shut) or the mouse on steroids flinging stuff over obstacles (it must be the size of a large cat) and only PART of the object is flung over the plants and trophies... There must be other more believable 'rational explanations'! I have had the blender turn on in the middle of the night (unplugged yet) and it woke up the whole house! And also a musical alarm go off by itself with no battery and stop when I went to reach for it... I don't know if all that is 'ghost' related but definitely the so called rational explanations need more clarification as to HOW such things happen than immagination. Those things usually happen out of the blue and unexpected so it can't be anything imagined. I'm still scared to use the blender and ALWAYS unplug and put it away right after use thinking maybe it was an electric charge buildup or something. And the candle holder could not fall from the back of a wall unit with a bunch of stuff in front of it without knocking everything else down with it (no earthquakes either or big trucks to shake the house as some suggested, and why just the glass and the candle and not the rest of the stuff and how did it get burned in the middle where it broke?) We tried using the fan and it didn't move anything other than the dust on top of the shelf.
As for the blue light, it probly would not have been the fire alarm as the electricity was off and the light came from a different direction, brightened and faded... The glow kind of looked like one from a black light thing or something not a true 'light' per se. And no I was not sleeping as I had gone downstairs to check to see if the neighborhood lights were out also. Hubby as usual just mumble something about a car outside 'maybe' and went back to sleep. Everytime I go in the hallway at night I think about that stupid light so I was definitely NOT sleeping or dreamt it!
megankay (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-29)
i've seen some of your other stories they are really good. You always say your hubby blames stuff on the wind don't worry we believe you and I'm sure hes just saying that to make you unafraid, cause he loves you. Well I don't know but he probably does I hope so! I'm sure he does tho!

๐Ÿ˜ ~*Megan Kay*~ ๐Ÿ˜‰
โค
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-29)
Hi Mindi!
I don't have time to read through all the other comments, so sorry if I repeat anything. It definitely does sound like you have something there. Have you actually spoken with the previous owners of the home to see if anything bizarre happened to them too? Or maybe look up the history of your house, I really don't know how to go about doing that, I'm sure there are ways though. Too bad you didn't get a photo of that lamp after it fell, cause the candle being melted where it broke sounds really weird. Anyway, hope things work out. Thanks for sharing!
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
Funny how the men in the house always try to blame a mouse or the next door neighbor. One time I heard footsteps right in front of me and my Dad was there to (he was drunk though) and he said it was the neighbor.
SomeoneUDontKnow (15 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
Mindi I had my tv chanells changed by itself to before. I once tried to talk to my grandpa on a tv with all this equipment. Nothing ever happened to us but after that and only once did I see my computer turn on by itself. I turned it off than I kicked it and I heard a hissing noise so I kicked it again than I RAN so quick that I thought my feet didn't touch the floor and ran under my blanket. It eventually goes away don't wurry be happy
littlelaura33 (28 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-20)
MIndi no one might of died there but the ground that the house is built on might have significant meaning to a person who has passed on and become a ghost. Don't rule a person dieing out though because the possibilities are endless. It could literally be anything. Your hubby might be right about this. I bet you never considered that did you?
See you soon Mindi ๐Ÿ˜ โค ๐Ÿ˜‰
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-19)
OK. 1 thing I noticed was that you said "no one died here..." No one has to die here. Plus, if someone did die, it could go back all the ways to the 1600's maybe even farther. Plus, if there is an entity then it coukd possibly be tied to the land, not the house. Maybe a huge rat on steroids DID knock it over! LOL! Dunno, I don't think you should worry too much. Unless sumtin else happens. Then you should get help. But don't worry. Cause worry is fear, anmd entity's feed off fear!

~Gejro
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
I know high energy people can cause poltergeist activity all by themselves especially when in the puberty stage so I don't know if your kids were young teens when the lamp incident happened but guess that could have been an explanation. As far as the soccer ball incident the boys were men by this time so don't think it was something they were subconciously doing. My husband is like yours, he could have a full blown experience and deny it with no trouble at all. He thinks all paranormal stuff is ridiculous. I have had a few things happen in my life that makes me less a skeptic but I always try to offer a reasonable explanation but sometimes there just isnt' any.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hello again Mindi. When I posted my comment I didn't remember that you wrote that this happened in 2005. Did JUST the lamp incident happen in 2005 or all of the occurrences? If it has been going on for this long, then it is more than likely not poltergiest activity. Are things continuely happening in your home since 2005?

SHELBY
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hello Mindi. It indeed sounds like that of a Poltergeist. A person does not necessarily have to die in a home to haunt it. Check the history of the land and see what you can come up with. It sounds to me like poltergeist activity and not a haunting at all. Poltergeist activity does surround an individual and usually subsides within a month or so. Check to see when the activity happens and who is in the home at the time. Keeping notes on when it happens and who is at home when things do happen might pinpoint who is the cause of the activity if anyone is the cause of it at all. Let us know if anything new happens or if it subsides.

SHELBY

๐Ÿ˜Š โค
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
...please disregard my comment in your other story about the blue light in the hallway! ๐Ÿ˜†

I now see there is more to THAT story than meets the eye!
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Wow very interesting story Mindi. Maybe in the last house that you stayed in must have had a ghost and it must have come with you. Or it might be "Visiting" your house. I suggest that you put cameras all around the house in each and every bedroom. Then, maybe, you will get the answer. Anyway, Best of luck!
Biemaster
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Hello Mindi,
Wow. I would say that you have a possible couple of answers here.
Wandering ghosts do not have any kind of connection to a place. They are kind of like hobo's. They hop the first transport out of wherever, and keep on going until someplace holds their attention for a while. Sometimes they just "walk" to wherever, and their have been stories of whole neighborhoods experiencing SOMETHING during a stretch of time. As they are WANDERERS, they do not last for long.
A poltergeist is a ghost that manifests itself by moving and influencing objects. Poltergeist activity tends to occur around a single person called an agent. According to researchers at the Rhine Research Center, the "poltergeist effect" is the outward manifestation of psychological trauma. (*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poltergeist),but you seem to have a bit of knowledge on them, as you have questioned it in you own story.
But your largest paragraph to this story almost seems to suggest an intelligent haunt. No one would have had to die with in the home to provide that haunt. They could have perished somewhere nearby, or they could be connected with an article in your home. (A favorite dresser bought at a yard sale, a dining room set given to you by someone who was no longer in need of it)

If it does turn out to be a mouse, I would have to BEG you to post a photograph of him on this site... THAT would be truly interesting, and and abnormality that could fall under the Unknown heading. ๐Ÿ˜†
Thank you.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-17)
Please excuse me, one more time, Mindi.

Oh, yes, I see that Flutter.
What I was wondering is why it is that Silverwolf would close the book on a potential proof riddled occurrence, on the basis that it COULD be connected to an Indian Burial Ground.
There is a HUGE fear of such places, and many think that to be haunted from one of those laid to rest there, is to experience a lifetime of haunting experiences. That is not always the case.
While I hate to generalize, ghosts are stubborn at times. They are interwoven into the very fabric of existence, and they dance with the wind. When we encounter a stubborn entity, we simply start over to try to help them Cross.
Their race, or the way of life has no bearing on the fact that they are living impaired. I LOVE the fact that once we leave this plane of existence, it will not matter the darkness of our skin. Where we come from will hold no weight, and we will all speak the same language.
So... While Indian Burial Grounds are sacred places (more so, it would seem, than the other resting places making up our world), and there are Spiritual Guards and Warriors prepared to fight for the permanent resting places of the ancestors, I still do not see what it is that Silverwolf was trying to express.
WHY should the book be closed if the neighborhood was built on an Indian Burial Ground? Should we NOT still try to assist a wanderer to the Land of Many Summers?
Thank you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
[at] whitebufflo, I think perhaps that silverwolf77 could be thinking. That if the place was built on a Indian grave yard, maybe many of the graves were not seen, to remove them and there fore th spirits of them are not happy with it.

I know a place that I will write about here soon. Where it was a grave yard and not all could be moved as they were merly dust in coffins. Will write more about that story late.

But I have an aunt who lived next a grave yard and many things happen to her and her kids all the time too. So a place don't need to be built where a grave yard was, but being next to one can cause activity too.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I have to agree with rhodes68 that it was "Poltergeist" activity. I had plenty of that in a storey that I wrote called "Haunted trailer in Michigan". They can do so many things and frighten people. Although they usually are not harmful to people. Unless something else happens, I would just think it's just the Poltergeist activity going on in your home.
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
Excuse me just for a moment, Mindi ๐Ÿ˜Š

Uh, SilverWolf77? Why would she be "out of luck" if the neighborhood is built on an Old Indian Burial Ground?
What makes an Indian Burial Ground more powerful than any other burial ground that there would be no help for THIS situation?
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-16)
I loved the story... Lol Just a quick question though...

Is your husband the kind of guy that if he broke something and you found it, would he use the "wind" Excuse to try and get out of trouble?

Cuz my dad is the exact same way lol.

thanks for the story and God Bless ๐Ÿ˜‰
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Do some research into the land your neighborhood was built on. If it's built on American Indian burial ground, you're out of luck.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Hi Mindi.It's possible that it is poltergeist activity. Another thing you might consider is the land itself. You could do a little research and maybe you'll find something interesting there. I enjoyed reading your story, Thanks.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Hi Mindi and thank you for a very interesting account. I don't think a mouse or the wind is responsible for the occurrences at your household.

I cannot support without a single doubt that it's poltergeist activity, although I find that this is more probable. Why? Because of the household stationary objects that are being moved, the swithing on and off of lights and electrical appliances, the tapping sounds and the like.

Poltergeist phenomena are known to be caused by a person in the house known as the human agent or "the focus" who unconsciously physically manipulates objects through psychokinesis. The majority of this energy generates in the human brain and seems to be related to females or even males around puberty who are in emotional stress. And yet, studies have indicated that this energy can manifest even around older adults as in the case of your daughters.

While it has always been suggested that poltergeist energy is triggered by a living person's anger, anxiety, phobias and thus, different from ghost activity, researchers now claim that there are cases when the activity occurs around psychologically 'stable" agents who have absolutely no control over the energy.

There's also a point of greater interest; near the climax of this energy which is gradually being piled up, the poltergeist might become more aggressive or dangerous and inflict injuries. For that, I have always been quite alarmed when reading such cases.

Likewise, in your description of the events, there seems to be some sort of progression, if I understood correctly. I'm not suggesting this is always the case but, just to be on the safe side...
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
The wind theory is full of hot air? That was a nice pun ๐Ÿ˜† Thanks for the story Mindi.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: