You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Collection Of Real Family Ghost Stories

Real Ghost Stories

A Collection Of Real Family Ghost Stories

 

Now you may be wondering why I'm posting these together, but the stories are quite short and are nothing spectacular. Anyway, the stories are from several family members of mine who swear that these encounters were real.

The first one is quite boring. My grandparents were on holiday in a beach in England (I can't remember what one) and saw a couple walking along the coast. They were dressed in 'Edwardian' clothing and were laughing and talking to one-another. My grandparents said that one second they were there, and when they looked back they completely vanished. Well, there's the first one.

Our next story is from my Uncle (grandparent's son in law). Him, my auntie and cousins live in a town called Aberystwyth, in Wales. Now, as you know, Wales is home to a few mountains. My uncle said he was climbing a mountain with a few friends. They were all attached to each other with a rope, so no-one got left behind. The weather turned nasty, clouds closing down and snow falling so vision was impossible. The mountaineers were now lost. As all seemed hopeless, one of my uncle's friends began to move. They all walked on and eventually came out safely at the foot of the mountain. The friend that lead them to safety said that a hand pulled and guided him. But... There was no-one there...

So, our next story is from my grandparents friends, who are old like them. I was told this at dinner the other day, when my mum began talking about her sisters encounter (below). My grandparent's friends are a husband and wife, and this encounter happened to the husband about 20 years ago. They were on holiday in England, and were staying at a hotel next to a moor. I can't remember the name of the place, but it had the word 'Moor' in it. He didn't describe the hotel very much, but it sounded small, in which they stayed in the upstairs room. It was in the middle of the night, that he woke up to find the bathroom door open. This didn't seem odd, as his wife probably went to the toilet. However, in the darkness he saw a figure in a black cloak, with only their face visible. At first he thought it was the wife, but she was in bed next to him. The figure then walked away and vanished.

I thought this was just one of those funny dream things, until what he told me next. He was in the area 2 years later, where he was talking to a women. He told her that he once stayed in the hotel next to the moor. The women began saying that she also stayed there once in the same room... And you can kind of guess the rest.

The last story is my favorite. This is from my Auntie who lives in Aberystwyth. Her job as a nurse required her to go through country lanes in a car to get there. At one point, there is a forest where an old abandoned mine is said to be. My auntie was driving back home late one evening, when she drove past the stretch of trees. Standing on the side of the road was a man dressed in old mining clothes, standing as though wanting to hitch-hike. She drove past the man, thinking nothing of it. All was well, until she felt something moving in the back of the car. She said she nearly crashed, and was terrified all the way home. Upon arrival, my uncle knew what had happened by the look on her face. Apparently, this is a rare but known occurrence in the surrounding area.

Well, there you go! Hope you enjoyed them. I'll just remind you that they all swear by these stories.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scythe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-09)
I enjoyed the stories, however I have one critique... You should never start by saying that the stories are "nothing spectacular." It doesn't necessarily grab the readers curiosity.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-17)
Scythe, thank you for this little group of stories. Paranormal experiences do not have to be extravagant or 2 pages long to be catagorized as a good story. Usually when you have an experience it only lasts a few seconds anyway due to the amount of energy a spirit/entity must use to make itself known to us. And like Isandhu said those "Spectacular" stories, are more likely to be an embellishment of the events that actually occurred. 😊
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
If the stories were "spectacular" we probably wouldn't believe them. That's not what most of us are after on this site. We're interested in the genuine strange experiences of ordinary people. Most genuine encounters aren't all that earth-shattering, but the implications of them are. About your uncle's experience of being led off the mountain to safety, this is reminiscent of something called the third-man phenomenon. Many people in life-threatening situations have reported being saved by a person or presence who could not have actually been there. Sometimes the presence is seen (either directly or obliquely), sometimes it is like a voice encouraging the person or telling them what to do, which turns out to be the very right thing to do. There's lots online about this phenomenon, and I recommend you research it if you're interested. There's also a fascinating book about it by John Geiger called The Third Man Factor.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Thanks for the short stories. Neat mini format. I'd like to stay at that old motel some day.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Scythe,
Here's a little Your Ghost Stories 101. Never leave us to interpret or finish your stories for you:

"The friend that lead them to safety said that a hand pulled and guided him. But... There was no-one there..."...just a hand! Since they were ravenous from their adventure, the barbecued it and used the remains as a back scratcher.

"The women began saying that she also stayed there once in the same room... And you can kind of guess the rest."...Grandpa never walked the same again after the threesome.

"All was well, until she felt something moving in the back of the car. She said she nearly crashed, and was terrified all the way home. Upon arrival, my uncle knew what had happened by the look on her face. Apparently, this is a rare but known occurrence in the surrounding area."...and Grandma never got in the backseat with a miner again.

The End.

Lou
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Thanks for the series of stories. There is nothing more interesting than hear ghost stories from the elders in the family because it's a confirmation that you are not crazy!
vicuttie8 (7 stories) (92 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Can you elaborate more on your last story? It doesn't quite make sense to me. Thanks for sharing these with us!

Tori ❤
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Scythe,

Thank you for sharing these with us. It is very refreshing, in light of some recent submissions, to read a series of 'encounters' that seem to be what they just what they are, a retelling of one Families 'strange encounters'.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: