You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: So This Is The Thanks I Get?

Real Ghost Stories

So This Is The Thanks I Get?

 

Just a few facts before I start the story. 1) Rob (husband) and I have only been to Minnesota 1 other time, and that was farther south to the Mall of America. 2) The township we live in here in Ohio is called Bethel Township, so it could explain why I might have been drawn to it. 3) The cemetery is out in the country, which could account for some of the noises I was hearing. 4) After talking with Rob, I had him go back in with me and write down the information. So that being said, here we go.:)

Last Friday we left for our family vacation, and made our way to a cabin in Minnesota by Third Crow Wing Lake. When we arrived, we met a few neighbors outside, we exchanged pleasantries, and chatted a bit. We inquired about places to eat, and a neighbor suggested a place called Dorset House Restaurant in Dorset to get some ice cream, and do some shopping. We (Rob, stepdaughter, niece and I) headed that way to see what kind of trouble could find. Lol (btw their Zanzibar Chocolate is to die for!) As we made our way through the countryside, we came upon a small cemetery just outside of Dorset called Bethel Cemetery. It piqued my interest, and I asked Rob if we could stop and walk around a bit. I often make this request, so it wasn't out of the ordinary. I sometimes do this if I feel someone is pulling me in for help, but this time I just wanted to look around.

As we pulled up and I got out, I notice an older gentlemen (around 80-85 years old) sitting on the ground by a headstone eating a sandwich and having a chat with what I presume was someone in his family. He talked about his day, grandchildren starting school, his recent Dr appt, and even how well he was keeping her creeping charlie alive. (I'm not sure who would intentionally grow that annoying weed lol) I was so touched by this as it was obvious that he missed whomever it was dearly, and I can only hope that when I'm gone, someone cares that much for me. We made eye contact, he nodded and I smiled, and I kept on walking. I decided to stay a respectful distance after that and let the man converse in peace, so I headed towards the back of the cemetery to look at the older stones.

As I approached the back, I started humming this tune "cover me with heavens blue and let me dream a dream or two, oh sing me to sleep, lullaby of the leaves." Now this was rather odd for 2 reasons, because I have never heard this song in my life, and because I was standing by the rear of the cemetery with the leaves rustling softly in the wind. As I stood there, I became very aware of the noises around me, and very aware that I was being watched. I turned around thinking that Rob, or perhaps the old man had approached me, but when I looked they were still where they had been. Suddenly I started feeling "pulled" just a bit more back and to the left of where I had been standing. I knew this stop was to good to be true.

As I approached what seemed to be my destination, I saw flashes of a beautiful girl dancing and twirling, followed by a very handsome young man in overalls with a lopsided smile. As I stood there, I started hearing laughter, clinking of glasses and an occasional note or 2 of music. It wasn't long before I realized that the music playing was of similar tune to the words I began humming upon arrival. I took out my phone and googled what I could remember of the words, and what came back was this- The song is called Lullaby Of The Leaves, by Connee Boswell 1932. Rather odd I thought, as I don't remember hearing any song of this title, let alone one from 1932. As I got closer to the headstone in front of me, I could see a large simple stone engraved with the name Halvorson. At this point I was met with a barrage of more images, a man working the land, to a woman cutting bread, kids jumping in a lake, and a small dog barking. I was overwhelmed at this point and decided to just get on with it.

I first turned around to see if anyone was watching me, as I didn't want anyone to see me talking to myself in a cemetery. Lol. As I turned to the right, I heard a low whistle followed by a dog playfully barking and felt something rub against my leg. Nothing was there when I looked down, but upon looking back up I caught a glimpse of a dress or skirt going around to the other side of the Halverson headstone. As I walked around the other side, I saw that there were 3 smaller stones on the ground that read Oliver, Mary and Blanche. As I stooped down, I noticed that Blanche read Jan. 5 1905-Aug 7 1934, she was just shy of 30 when she died. I can only assume that this was the young girl dancing that I had "seen" earlier. I decided to talk to her and see if I could get any information as to what she was wanting from me, and how I could help her on her way.

I began by asking her what she needed help resolving, why she was still here and lastly, how could I help her move on. I didn't get much in the way of audible responses, but began to feel very light headed like someone had just spun me in cirlces whilst playing pin the tail on the ghostie. At this point I told her that she had died long ago, and whatever she thought was holding her here had long ago been resolved. I would be glad to help her find her way, if she would just look for an opening, a bright light, or someone she knew. I instantly felt a sharp jolt to my cheek, followed by an icy cold sensation. The only thing I can compare it to, was being slapped across the face. I again tried to speak with her, and felt another jolt across my cheek. I began to feel like I was fighting an uphill battle, and felt nothing but animosity in return for my effort. I politely told her that I was going to be on my way, and she would have to find her own path to cross over.

Upon turning my back, I felt someone push me just a bit, and I took that as my cue that she didn't want my help, and I was leaving. At that point I heard a low growl, and a loud voice telling me to be on my way, followed by another quick shove. I have learned that if they don't want your help, it's best to just let it be.

As I passed the stone where the old man had been sitting, I glanced over and noticed that it said Byron H. Roberts Sept 30 1926-Jan 25 2003 and Delores Roberts May 12 1931-April 5 2006 Parents of Brad, Steve and Sue. Now at this moment, I didn't think anything was odd as maybe the man had been a relative paying his respects. On my way to the car I notice that it seemed like the wind was "pushing" me, and I was ready to get out.

I got in and told Rob about the old man talking to his wife, and how sweet I thought that was. I was surprised when he looked at me like I was nuts, and asked what man, and told me he hadn't seen anyone in there but me. There is a fence about 4 feet high that encloses the entire cemetery, with gates that are open at the front with little bars that push into the ground to hold them open. You can either drive along the small path and park inside, or you can park in a small spot outside the gate. We were parked outside the gate, and Rob never saw anyone leave.

I'm not sure what the old man had to do with anything, but he sure had a sweet smile and I hope he is resting in peace alongside his wife (if it was his wife). As we were pulling away the gates at the front where we had been parked, suddenly slammed shut missing our car by inches. Apparently Blanche is content with being earth bound, and would rather be left alone. We passed by the cemetery a few more times on our way to various places, and each time I could see her dress from a distance dancing and twirling to her ghostly melody. I hope someone else can try to find it in their heart to help her, or I can only imagine how many more people might have to feel her wrath.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AppleSauce27, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
In regards to the old man maybe he was earthbound while his wife wasn't? He could have been 'visiting' her in a place he could reach her at.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
Thank you, I appreciate your input. Yes, that's the exact stone I was referring to. It's funny how a photo can take you back to the events. Thanks.:)
Sywren (29 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
Also, just wondered what I could find on Blanche, and maybe give other readers more of a visual of what you saw/what the cemetery looks like:

Http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Halvorson&GSiman=1&GScid=81925&GRid=21325654&;
Sywren (29 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-06)
I've just read all your stories, and I can't pick a favorite, but this one really resonated with me.

I got on YouTube and played Lullaby of the Leaves by Connee Boswell while I read it.

Absolutely love the detail in your writing, and I can't wait to hear more about your experiences.

All the best ❤
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
geetha50- I get what you're saying completely. I guess I just always feel an obligation (for lack of a better word) to help them, and what kind of person would I be if I didn't, you know? As for the old man, I dare say you might be right with that, although I would have appreciated a heads up! Lol As for the slap, no offense taken. In fact, my husband laughed as well, and made a reference to Zsa Zsa Gabor. I was offended for a minute, but then I starting laughing when I thought about it. Kind of like a "how dare you tell me to get out of MY cemetery lady! You be on YOUR way!" Thanks for your input. 😁
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-10)
There are times where I have to just put my thoughts down into words before I forget them and such is the case so I'm sorry if I repeat what some of the other posters already said.

First of all, I didn't know weather to laugh at the way you described the story or be touched at the way you took the steps to help this young lady. I guess both.

My opinion is that some spirits know full well that they can cross over but simply do not want to and such is your case. Not to be rude but I had to laugh at the fact that you got slapped for trying to help someone cross over.

As for the old man, I think you can guess that he was a ghost. As for his smile, I think he knew what you were getting yourself into.
dogwoodrainbow (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
I always wondered if ghosts or spirits are "lost" at all, and why they would need our help at all. They may live in our world right along beside us. There may be spirits that are just plain moody, scary or grumpy, just as they were in human form. I don't know, just a thought.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Newhunter30- I agree with what you're saying. I have never been able to walk away from a spirit that sought out my assistance, but it seems she got great enjoyment out of duping me. When I felt the anger, I decided to leave, and I think that may have teed her off. I would love to have helped her, but I wasn't willing to endure her attitude. Lol
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Did you consider that maybe whatever happened did not get resolved and that is why she became increasingly "angry" with you. There is a possibility that this person had been murdered and the murderer was never caught just as an example.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Moravian- With all respect, I am not new to the scene and I have been seeing/dealing with them since I was a little girl. Its not unusual for them to be the one doing the engaging, and I'm just along for the ride. I understand that spirits can be unpredictable, and I appreciate your input.
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
What a creepy story. In my opinion, You are playing with fire trying to engage unknown spirits in a cemetery.
LindaG (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
That's very interesting that she didn't want to cross over... I wonder why? What does she get out of staying around? It's still good that your instinct was to help her. Thanks for your story!
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
[at] mizmi:
I am so glad that he is supportive. Not all are! I have seen a few of my husband's passed relatives also, as well as my own. However my husband doesn't believe that I just can't call them up whenever I want to. I'll be looking for more experiences from you.

Zeta.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Zeta- He actually does, and he's super supportive about it. It seems that I get a blank stare on my face, and it's more than from just hearing his boring stories. Lol His dad (passed a few years back) visits our house from time to time, and it's really interesting to see him perk up when his dad is about. Thanks for reading.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Wow! You definitely have an insight to the other world. I doubt this is your first experience with the paranormal. I guess you got an inside view of the life and times of this couple. Very interesting story. I am familiar with this area and it is a very spiritual place. Just curious... Does your husband believe that you actually saw this? I have sightings also and I just was wondering.

Thanks, zeta.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Thanks Stephyw2001, I was a bit put off by that as well. I mean here I am trying to help you, and you're acting like a brat! Lol My husband very rarely sees what I see, but has felt it on a few occasions.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
Wow, that was quite the experience! Thank you for sharing this. That is interesting that she seemed so happy until you tried to help her. I wonder what that was all about. Interesting your husband didn't see the man. You must really be in touch with your 6th sense! 😊
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
It was very interesting for me, as very rarely have I felt that type of sensation when being touched. Also, I noticed something I wanted to clarify. When I said I felt a jolt, I mean that I felt a quick and tiny jolt of electricity followed by a cold sensation. I didn't feel an actual slap and my head moved to the side.
That old man looked like the sweetest soul ever. I am presumming at this point, that it was his wife, although he passed before her so I don't think it was a residual. I was trying to help Blanche, but obviously she wasn't wanting my help. Lol
Moo (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
That's a really touching story. It's nice to know that there are still people like you that will offer their help to the paranormal, instead of being scared of them. Thanks for the story, and I look forward to more:)

Regards,

Raevynne. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: