You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dormitory Ghost Story

Real Ghost Stories

Dormitory Ghost Story

 

In 1980, I was attending Chipola Junior College in Marianna, Florida. I was living in the dorm and I worked at the reception desk every weekend. Often times I was the only person there for the entire weekend. On this particular weekend, Sunday afternoon rolled around and my roommate and suitemates returned from their homes (the way the rooms were laid out, there were two rooms with a bathroom between them - together they were considered a "suite"). I was helping them unload their cars - they always brought back awesome groceries from home - and passed through bathroom to put some of my roommates things in our room.

As I walked back through the bathroom (I decided to walk back through my suitemates room instead of walking out into the dorm hall) I looked to my right. This area was pretty small as it was the entrance/exit for the shower. As I looked to my right I saw a young woman there. She was medium height, with long dark straight hair. Her hair was parted in the middle and she was wearing a blue and red rugby style shirt - her hair and shirt style reminded me of the fashions of the early 70s. Of course, I knew immediately she didn't belong there and quickly looked away and then back. She was gone.

I was really excited and ran to find my suitemates and roommate who were walking down the hall. I told them the story of what I had just seen. I thought they'd think I was crazy, but they didn't. We decided that the next day we would find the cleaning lady and ask her if there had been a girl who had lived in one of our rooms and had died. Mrs. Rhyne (the cleaning lady) had been working in our dorm for a long time, so we knew she would know.

The next day we went on to classes and our other usual activities. In the afternoon my roommate and I were back in the dorm around 3:00 p.m. We eagerly sought out Mrs. Rhyne. She was in the laundry room working. I asked her if there had ever been a girl who had lived in our room who had died. She said she wasn't sure. I described the girl I had seen and Mrs. Rhyne told me she remembered a young girl fitting that description who had died in a car wreck.

Well, a few weeks passed and I'd decided I had just imagined the girl. But another weekend came around and I found I hadn't imagined it at all! It was Saturday night and I had been out with my cousin and a friend. Our curfew was 2 a.m., but I was home by midnight and safely in bed. About 1 a.m., I heard the water in the sink in the bathroom turn on. My suitemate was supposed to be coming into town for a date with her boyfriend. I assumed when I heard the water, that she had come in from her date. The water stayed on for a long time. I got really aggravated at my suitemate, but finally decided to get up and turn the water off.

The next morning, I went into my suitemates room, but she wasn't there. I thought maybe she and her boyfriend had gone out for breakfast. When she came in that evening, I asked her why she had left the water on the night before. She looked at me like I had lost my mind and asked me what I was talking about. I told her, "You know, when you came in from your date last night - you turned on the water and left it on!" She said, "I never even came into to town last night. I was at my parents house all weekend..."

I decided my dark-haired friend wanted to make sure I knew she was there!

I never saw her again or had anymore evidence of her existence, but I know she is real!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, trainwater, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dragonsoul (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-03)
Thats so cool! 🤔 A chick that plays rugby?! Thats even more interesting... 🤔
trainwater (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Abby,
Thanks for the compliment. I've experienced a few other things in my life, but nothing with as much substance as this story. It was eerie, but very interesting!

It's been over 20 years, so I have no idea if she's still there... But I know she was then!

Thanks again!
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Dear trainwater,

Your story is the kind of story that has meat on its bones. For a true ghost hunting enthusiast, I mean that it can be physically and historically investigated and researched, if you so choose. Yes, it looks like your dark haired visitor was just passing through and letting you know of her ghostly presence, if but a few times. At least, it made you aware that there is something more than our 3D physical world in which we all live.

I appreciate you submitting your story here and am honored to have read it. Blessings, Abby

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: