You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Guy in my Basement

Real Ghost Stories

A Guy in my Basement

 

I don't remember how old I was exactly when I first felt "not alone" in the basement of my parents' house. I was probably in the 10-11 age range when I would get the feeling of not being alone. Everyday I would come home from school and watch Nickelodeon on our basic cable TV in the basement. The house was built in the mid 80's, so it wasn't old/victorian/or even creepy at all. It was just... You know, a house. I would generally watch TV and play with my legos or draw in my sketch book or something to keep myself occupied.

Eventually though, I started getting the feeling sometimes that I was not alone down in the basement, and sometimes I would even see something out of my peripheral vision going down the hall to my right.

I would like to point out that I wasn't watching anything on TV that would weird me out and make my mind play tricks on me. I was usually watching Doug, or Darkwing Duck, or some other ridiculously awesome program when I would just see something jet through the hallway. I'd turn my head (of course) but nothing was there. Honestly, I wasn't really all THAT weirded out by it because I had quite the imagination, so I just blamed it on that. Not to say I didn't believe in ghosts - my favorite movie in the world was (and still is) Ghostbusters, and I've always loved the occult because of it.

This is where the story finally got me. One day I was in the upstairs bathroom brushing my teeth or sneaking a delicious Flintstone vitamin or something when I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I looked up into the mirror (because I was facing that direction) and saw a figure behind me... Looked like a guy, but I wasn't checking for chest hair, so I could be wrong. Naturally, I fled from the scene uttering obscenities at the world as I burst out the front door and into the road outside. I don't remember how long I stayed outside before I finally went spelunking back into my home, but I would venture a guess that it was a while.

On another note, my mother (who is REALLY into ghost stories / hauntings) claimed that she was home one day while I was at school and heard the door open and close downstairs. She assumed I was home early from school and yelled my name down over the banister towards the bottom of the stairs. No one answered... Especially not me because I was at school. Mom then called my sister's name... again, no answer. At this point, she went downstairs to investigate and found nothing. No matter what happened there, Mom believes that a ghost was up to shenanigans in our house.

Because we're adventurous, and mildly stupid, Mom and I decided to take the ghost thing kind of seriously and looked into the housing development's history. We found 2 things:

1. The housing development was more or less brand new.

2. The development was built over old farm land, and as it turns out, about 2 courts away there used to be a cemetery for the farmer's family. Our neighbors/friends lived in that court and also claimed they'd hear the basement rocking chair in their home make noises in the night.

Well, that's all I got. It's all true and it happened back when I was a kid (I'm 26 now). It wasn't evil or anything... Just an experience or two.

Love peace and bacon grease!

-Eric

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DJPotatoe, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

roccermom85 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-12)
Doug, Darkwing Duck, and Flintstones Vitamins! 90s kids' dream come true! As long as you took some breaks from Rocko's Modern Life to play some Oregon Trail! Great story! Thanks for sharing!
ally711 (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-18)
Very cool story I love Doug. I hate it beacause nickalodeon got crappier and the old shows aren't on anymore. 😒 😊
oceaneyes (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-21)
i have to say eric, I think you are a very witty writer. I could also relate, I loved doug and nickelodeon. That would be freaky, seeing a guy in the mirror like that, has he come back since then? Hope everything goes well for you... Thank you for the story πŸ˜†
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed it and I am glad you shared it with us. It is quite possible you were experiencing the residual haunting of some sort. With a cemetery that was o near by, it sould have left some residual effects. Doesn't sound like there was any danger at all though.

God Bless!
DJPotatoe (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Wait...what are you implying? "Don't be a copy?" I don't follow. If you had ever met me, you'd know straight away that I am no "imitation..." I'm as original as they come...

...or go, depending on how you look at it.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-08)
Dear Mr.(DJ)Potatoe,

This story seemed to be more about humor then anything else. Your story, your perspective and written in your own humorous perception.

I can see why it was chosen and posted here. 😊

Since you are a writer, I do think you could have been more creative with your semi-copied ending, though it was a humorous poke at Shane's expense and signature post which Shane gracefully took well. Shane's signature post already speaks volumes and in my personal opinion does not need additions.

Yes, dear author and dear readers, I get (understand) the story, and I get (understand) the humor. I also have this to add:

Be your self,
a unique,
individual,
original.

Not a,
knock-off,
copy,
imitation,
of a,
somebody else.

copyright😁--Abby
DJPotatoe (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Thanks folks. I appreciate your love for my writing, but ofcourse, the point was to tell the story. I still think it was kind of creepy... Even to this day, but what you going to do? My friends have a story about their place I may type up for this site once I do some more investigating. Thanks again for the support. Much love to everyone... Including bacon grease.

-Eric
purplequeen12 (2 stories) (69 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
Great story! I also loved the way you wrote it. You're lucky that you have a mother who belives in ghosts. Mine dosen't...she thinks it's all fake. So anyway, good luck! 😊
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-31)
HahA I really enjoyed this story. Especially the way it was written. It made me laugh. "Naturally, I fled from the scene uttering obscenities at the world as I burst out the front door and into the road outside..." I can relate to this, and stealing delicious Flinstone vitamins. Mom used to get so upset with me.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Eric, I loved this story. I also love your style of writing. Very humorous! The fact that you and your mom did some investigating shows that you also took it seriously. Love, peace and bacon grease to you, too! 😁
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
Unfortunately,it never crossed my mind. 😜 Don't believe I will take this young man's signature line from him. But hey you never know I just may come up with a new one that does ryhme and no reason. LOL
Thanks Eric for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
Hey Shane, ever considered replacing "luck" in your famous signature to "bacon grease"? It would rhyme πŸ˜‰ Not as profound though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: