You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Growing Up Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

Growing Up Haunted

 

I feel like this is more of a short paranormal memoir, as opposed to a "ghost story", as the occurrences have been constant throughout my life. Oh where to begin?

The history/background of where my story occurs:

The house where I spent the first part of my childhood was built around 1910. There is evidence of a cabin on the property but I am unsure of the dates/fates of the occupants. But there is also evidence of Native American occupants, as we have found many tools and weapons of Native American nature. But my grandparents purchased the property in 1966 and our family has been living there since.

The first occurance of any activity I can remember was when I was probably 5 or 6. My sister and I shared a bedroom. There was an old attic in the house, the stair case of which ended up in our bedroom. It was the middle of the night and out of nowhere we heard "Thunk!" up in the attic. Then "thunk, thunk, thunk" decending the stairs. It wasn't like a human foot, but more like something rolling down the stairs. Then on the bottom step it was as if a ball had been dropped and was coming to the end of it's bouncing, that "thunkthunkthunk" that trails off. We ran into our parents' bedroom and explained what we had heard. My dad, very calmly, got up and checked the staircase. Of course, there was nothing there. He then explained to us that he had heard the same noise at various times during his childhood and that there was nothing to be afraid of. We all went back to bed.

I can't remember a lot about my childhood in that house because I was only 8 when we moved out of that house and into a new house located on the same property. I know that my sister and I used to refer to "the people who live upstairs" when we were playing, but I don't remember who we were referring to, if anyone. I don't remember any interactions with these "people" and I'm not even sure if this spawned from an actual event or if it was just child's play. I do know my sister had to get a CT scan after she began kindergarden because she had told her teacher and all of her classmates that there were people living in the house that no one knew about and that they spoke to her on several occasions. But alas, her head was fine and as we grew up the "visits" stopped. All of that is all but forgotten now.

When we moved into our new house I immediately knew there was something eerie about it. When you were in a room alone, or in the house alone, it just felt like there was someone present. Like someone was watching your or standing directly behind you. I never once felt threatened by this or scared in any way. In fact, when I was younger I used to talk to whatever it was to keep myself company. I used to ask it to "help me do dishes" or "hand me the remote", and I would giggle because I felt like it was amused. For some reason I was always under the impression that it was of Native American nature. It's just this feeling I have always had, and some of the things that have happened have justified this to me time and time again.

For instance, my mom bought me these little porcelein indian dolls once as a birthday gift. I sat them on my jewelry box. Every day when I would come home from school they would be on the floor. So I moved them to the opposite corner of my dresser. Still, when I came home from school they would be on the floor. Finally I moved them to the middle of the dresser, back away from the edge. The next day, not only were they on the floor, but one of the headresses had been pulled from its tiny head. After that I returned them to my mom and she sat them in her bedroom on a shelf, where they have been happily residing ever since, undisturbed.

In another instance, my mom bought a fake decorative arrow, which had a stone tip that was filed down to a sharp point. It was summer time and my sister and I had taken to sleeping in the living room so we could stay up extra late watching television. One morning when I woke up, the arrow, which had been placed up on the opposite wall, was laying on me, with the point aiming at my throat. My sister was sitting up on the opposite end of the couch staring at me in horror. Once again, I didn't feel threatened. It was as if "they" had laid it there to remind us that they didn't care for our cheap knock offs.

Then one night, I finally came face to face with one of "them". I was asleep and for some reason, I woke up, feeling as if there was a face just inches from mine. Sure enough when I opened my eyes, there was a face staring back at me. It couldn't have been more than just a second or less. But I saw it. I wasn't afraid. It wasn't there to harm me. The look was one of wonder, as if they had been exploring my face as I slept. It was pale, the eyes large and hollow and dark. And when I opened my eyes I saw it turn, as if it were to run away. I heard what sounded like an "oh!". And it was gone. I think I spooked it more than it spooked me! From then on I made sure to make a noise before I opened my eyes, just to be sure they knew I was awake. I felt then, and I feel now, that it was a male presence that night, protecting me and watching me as I slept.

There are several other instances that have made me feel an element of protection from "them". A few close calls, things that should have turned out much worse than they did that for some unexplained reason, at the last minute, were diverted.

But let's get back to this old farmhouse and this attic...

My grandparents moved back into the house when we moved into our new house. My grandmother told me once before that she believed someone had been locked up in the attic at one point. Like a mentally ill person or a child with behavioral issues. She never said why she felt that way and I never asked her. Unfortunately she died before I could ask her about it. But maybe she had further connections with her spirits like I feel like I have connectiosn with mine. But there is evidence to support her feelings.

The attic hasn't been in use since my aunt was young in the 70's. She once heard footsteps coming up the stairs, saw a hand grip the landing at the top, but there was no one there. After that she stopped going up there and it was primarily used as storage space. Over the years there have been several instances where unexplainable events have taken place. There have been tiny footprints found in the dirt in the floor, long after us kids were grown up. Pictures that were stored up there have been left out on the old desk that's up there. Windows have been cracked, lights left on that can only be turned on and off by pulling a chain. Perhaps the most disturbing of all, once my mom went up there to get some old documents. The next day when she went back to return them, there was a bird up there dead. And destroyed. It's feathers had been ripped off in places and there was blood on the floor from it. It had not died of natural causes. She moved all of our things downstairs that afternoon and the old attic rarely, if ever, gets used or visited anymore. The lights still come on every now and then, but I haven't heard any footsteps or shuffling in the house for quite some time now.

I'm not saying any of this is paranormal in nature. It could all be attributed to dreams, bad pipes, electrical shortages, etc. Most of my family thinks I have an overactive imagination, even the ones who have seen and heard the same things I've seen and heard. But I know what I've seen, and more importantly, I know what I've felt. I truly feel I have a connection to the spirits that have visited me my entire life and I feel that my grandmother had a connection to her spirits. I think hers were a little more unstable than mine, but nonetheless, the feeling is so strong I can't deny it.

I have moved into a new house since then and I know my spirits didn't follow me here. I don't feel them. I still talk to them at times when I visit my parent's house but I don't feel them there anymore. Sometimes when I go for a walk in the woods I can feel them there. I talk to them as I walk, let them know about my new son or share some memories from my childhood with them. Am I crazy? Maybe. But I feel blessed to have grown up haunted.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MzsEl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Aishling (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-09)
That was a really nice story but I think the thing with the arrow would of scared me a bit! Any word on the picture yet? I'm excited to see it:)
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Fascinating account. I'm glad you posted it. I think you should trust your instincts. It's a shame you didn't get a chance to speak to your grandmother and compare notes about your experiences. If you're ever of a mind to have a medium or paranormal investigator accompany you to your family's property, do let us know the results.
AelouaOfTheClouds (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-27)
Your story is wonderful and I csn relate.

At my old house, there was a girl named Elisia who like to play with me. She only played with me in my room when I was alone. She even slept wwith me. She was my very best friend in my childhood. My mom always thought I was anti-social, but I was just social in other ways... Spiritually...
[ ❤ Miss You Elisia ❤ ]

Best of Luck to You, MzsEl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
To add pics all you need is to attach them to the confirmation letter you got when your story was accepted and send them in as a reply.

Jav
MzsEl (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
I've somewhat changed my mind about having a discussion on the story. It is all 100% true, I swear on it. And today my sister and I revisited the old house and went upstairs to the attic. I spoke to the ghost, asked it if it remembered us, and we took a bunch of pictures. If anyone knows if I can add pictures to my story please let me know because we have finally caught what I believe is the child in a picture. And as for leaving it toys, all of our old toys are up there in boxes (dolls and trains, etc) so she has plenty to play with. 😁
scoodrago (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
Amazing story. When I open this site I expect myself to wonder, get scared by reading other people's experiences but this story has comforted me, it has made me think that their are good spirits left and there is still something or someone to whom you can rely or talk.
I agree to Javelina that maybe you should have left a toy or something but believe me if everything written above is true, you have a gift. I always look to things like these with a scientific approach, this is the only story I have read so far that could not be proved by science and I believed it.
Amazingly written
CCMyPlaymate (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
I agree with Javelina, the spirit is clearly not bad or anything, why not take him/her a toy to play with? Maybe give him/her the Indian dolls you mentioned?
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
An excellent story. Thanks for posting. You had many experiences during your upbringing and most of them appear to be pleasant.

I think it's a very healthy perspective to be rational up to the point where rationality can no longer explain certain experiences you have. The rest of it falls within the realm of the unexplained.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-26)
MzsEl,
This was such a lovely account of the experiences you enjoyed as you grew up that it saddens me to see you have decided not to participate in any discussion that may generate from this post. However, I am glad I got the chance to read about your experiences and I thank you for sharing them here.
Of course you didn't say, but from the account it is hinted at, that one of the spirits in the old house must be a child. From the tiny footstep found in the dust on the floor of the attic, and the porcelain dolls being taken down from your dresser top to be found on the floor once you got back home, it is clearly a childlike presence, if not a child.
Since your parents still live in the new house, have you ever considered taking a toy to leave for the child at the old house when you visit?
Again, thank you for sharing.

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: