You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Insomnia With A Side Of Fear

Real Ghost Stories

Insomnia With A Side Of Fear

 

This is my first entry so I suppose I should give you a little back ground info. I'm currently 17 years old and live with my father in Columbia.

This story takes place in my mother and stepfather's house at approximately 3:33 am. I was 15 at the time and still living with my mom and stepdad. I was having trouble sleeping that night, as I always do, but for some reason I was feeling immensely restless. More so than usual and I had no idea why. After what seemed like hours I finally drifted into a light sleep.

About 30 or so minutes later I awoke again, facing my bed side clock, laying on my stomach. I wanted to get up and get something to drink but when I tried to lift myself up I immediately realized that I couldn't move my entire body. It felt as if I was paralyzed. And naturally I was freaking out quite a bit, struggling to at least turn my head. My sheets had begun to slide off me and off the bed. Then I felt a weight all across my body, it was so heavy that it was difficult for me to breath. After that I blacked out.

I cannot recollect to this day what happened that night after the pressure across my body. And I know for a fact that it wasn't a dream because when I awoke the next morning all my sheets were on the floor at the foot of my bed. I couldn't have kicked them off because I'm not a rough sleeper and I'm very particular about the way I make my bed. All the sheets have to be tucked in on one side. So I'm forced so believe that what happened actually happened.

And of course, since the duration of my childhood I've had plenty of experiences in that house. But nothing this... Tangible. I've always wondered if whatever was in that house wanted to do me harm because I am the only one it has ever made contact with as far as I know.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ichigousagi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-07)
Yes this is definitely sleep paralysis, really really common medical phenomenon and not in the least bit supernatural. I hope the OP can sleep better at night knowing this!:)
southerntk (4 stories) (75 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
I want to agree with everyone else but something happened to me once like that, but there was a woman sitting on the foot of the bed when my episode happened. The whole time she was there I couldn't move. I finally started praying and she was then she disappeared. I was wide awake when this happened and I was about 3 mths. Pregnant. My experience took place in the evening while it was still daylight. Also once my husband was awakened in the middle of the night and he couldn't move and then suddenly he looked at the foot of the bed and something black with a form simular to a human pulled on his legs and tried to pull him out of the bed, he tried to yell at me and he couldn't speak and then it layed across his chest and he felt so much pressure he couldn't hardly breathe. He said he closed his eyes and began praying and it disappeared. He then reached over and began shaking me to wake me and tell me what happened and I wouldn't wake up no matter how loud he hollered or shook me. So I don't know, some instances of not being able to move can be really spirit related. Oh the woman who sat at my feet in the bed was actually a woman I knew from town. She was a bankers wife to beat it all. I later found out she was into withcraft and her son hated my husband. Really weird I know. My door was locked to so I know she wasn't really there in person. Theres so much we don't know about the supernatural. I had never even spoken to that woman before at the foot of my bed. I see stuff like that all the time though, spirits and even hear them speak sometimes. I can tell you weird things can happen while we are sleeping. My ex husbands father came by his bedroom one night and looked in and saw a little thing about a foot tall on my ex husbands chest and it was leaned over like it was sucking his breath out of him. My ex father in law began walking over to it and it disappeared into thin air... Who knows what was with you in that room that night. Maybe something was present and you couldn't see it and it was able to paralize you like it did my husband and like what happened to me. Only you know if you felt the presence of something else there.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
I'm going to have to call this one as sleep paralysis and likely medical, not paranormal. You probably were briefly awake, or close to it, during the episode and as for your sheets, particular or not, it's possible to act out very violently in your sleep and you easily could have done this to them. Please tell us about some of you other experiences.
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
Some of the symptoms you mention remind me of a visit from 'the Old Hag'. Did you hear voices at all? Did you feel the sensation of being touched?
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
I also feel that it is sleep paralysis rather than a paranormal experience. Don't get offended. You said that you had other experiences but not this tangible. But you have not told us about them. Had you, perhaps, it would have thrown more light to decide if it were to be treated as a paranormal experience or not. In the absence of it, I think it is related to sleep paralysis.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
This isn't much to do with the spirit realm, exactly, but may be helpful hopefully to you with restless nights.
Sometimes, I have the same problem and have since I was a teen. If I'm restless at night, and my mind won't shut down, I've finally learned, rather than wallow about suffering with it, to make myself get up. And, I work out. I work out, and focus entirely on that, until I think all my excess calories must be completely burnt up and then some, and then I'll shower and go back to bed. Usually, this works and I can go right to sleep like a baby. With no excessive calories overfueling the brain, the muscle can rest.
Try it, its good for you. Some people think oh, that'll wake you up more, and I don't know, everyone's different; but right now in fact I need to get off this site and follow my own advice. Make sure to stretch though afterward or risk waking up sore. By the way, no machine is neccesary to stay in excellent shape, just eat light and never late, gravity provides all the resistance needed.
Also, welcome Ichi... Wow, I wish I'd picked a more obscure name. 😊 Glad to see another southerner, the Carolinas are so beautiful, and wonderfully wildly isolated in parts, terrific water.
Rustedsoul (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
I agree with javelina... I guessed that too... Sometimes this happens to a person when he sleeps in a tried state...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-28)
You know, I hesitate to respond to these experiences simply because what I have to say usually gets the poster very upset. But here it is. What you had most likely experienced was a case of sleep paralysis. The symptoms you described are all typical of this condition. You may never experience it again, many people don't, though some are plagued by this condition on a weekly basis. I realize that it was all very real to you when it happened, but it is that way for everyone. Here's a link you may want to check out. It can explain this phenomenon much better than I.

Http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

Jav

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: