You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Hug From The Other Side

Real Ghost Stories

A Hug From The Other Side

 

A few weeks ago my husband and I went camping. His mom and her husband own a beautiful patch of land that is nestled up against the eastern border of Zion National Park. Tall pines, grassy meadows. It's a little slice of heaven. Being a pagan, all nature is sacred to me, but there is something extra special about this place.

This patch of land also happened to be near where my grandpa once owned land. I never knew him. He worked outside building roads during the 1950's. This was a time when the US Government was conducting nuclear tests in the nearby deserts of Nevada. They claimed there would be no negative effects to the people of Southern Utah due to fallout from the blasts, but they were wrong. My grandpa died of cancer in 1964 when my mom was only 14, and while my grandmother was pregnant with their 5th child. From the stories I've heard, he had a gentle, quiet strength. He was slow to anger, and loved the outdoors. He would play the guitar while he and my grandma sang old western songs. Needless to say, his death caused a ripple of sadness in the family that has lasted through the generations. (Eventually in the 90's, a class action lawsuit was held against the US government, and my grandma, along with others, was finally given some reparations.)

Anyway, back to my story.

We hadn't been able to get out for a fun outing since I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer earlier this spring. Since then I've had two surgeries, and while they went well, it kind of shook up my summer. So this was a chance to get out of the house and soak up some nature medicine. I'd been thinking a lot about my grandpa ever since my diagnosis, but on this day, the thoughts of him had become constant.

That night the moon was new as me and my husband sat around the crackling fire. The stars were brilliant and seemed to stretch through eternity. Still unable to pull my thoughts from my grandpa, I finally posed a question silently to myself "What are outside influences that could be impacting my thought patterns? Is there perhaps a spiritual reason for this?" Then I hear my own voice in my head say my grandpa's name. And I ask (in my head) "Grandpa?". A soft warmth wrapped itself around my shoulders and chest, like I was being hugged from behind. An exquisite warm peace filled my chest. The warmth around my shoulders faded that night, as did the constant thoughts of grandpa. But the peace in my heart remained.

Was this the spirit of my grandfather, coming to show comfort and support as I battle with the disease that killed him? I'd love to know your thoughts or if you've had similar experiences with family who have passed on that you never knew in life.

Other hauntings by Smoki_Tabu

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Smoki_Tabu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-25)
Hello,
I definitely think it was your loved one coming back to show you that they love you and are still there around you. 😊❤️
unquiet (4 stories) (16 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-10-22)
This happened to me once. My brother died suddenly and tragically 3 years ago. About 2 years after his death, I had a dream about him in which he was asking for my forgiveness. I rarely dream of him but it was so vivid and emotional it stuck with me throughout the morning. When I got to work that day I sat at my desk and weeped a bit. I said (out loud) "I forgive you". I then felt the exact feeling that Smoki Tabu described. My chest and shoulders were enveloped in a warm hug and a sense of well being overcame me. It was quite unbelievable. I don't have any other spiritual occurrences as profound as this one, well maybe one but I'll share that later. Thanks Smoki Tabu for submitting your story, it helps to validate my experience. Wishing you peace on your journey.
Smoki_Tabu (2 stories) (13 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-19)
Hi Melda, thank you so much for your kind words. Fortunately the type of cancer I have is curable. Steps 1 and 2: remove thyroid. Step 3: administer RAI (Radioactive Iodine), which will be happening beginning of November. Will the radiation cause other cancers to show up in the future? Possibly. But I gotta go with what works, and for now this is it.

Take care ❤
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-19)
Smoki - This is the type of experience that touches my heart.

I am sincerely sorry to hear of your fight against cancer. Please remember that not everybody succumbs to it. I have a relative and a friend who survived it years ago.

I have no doubt that your grandfather enveloped you with his warmth, comfort and love. Take strength from it and know that you are not alone, either in the earthly or spiritual realms.

Regards, Melda
Smoki_Tabu (2 stories) (13 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-18)
Daz, that is beautiful. Angelic is a perfect word. Since my last surgery I've felt a strong pull towards deepening my spirituality, learning about my ancestors, and absorbing local history. Every time I learn something new (like when I found out that my great-great grandfather was the first undertaker in town) I feel a deepening connection to those gone before. They are around me, comforting and guiding me. I feel exceptionally loved.

Thanks everyone for the support, and for sharing your experiences. I'm so happy to be a part of this community. ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-10-18)
I had a spiritual hug from my mother and I knew it was her because we spoke to each other as she was giving me a hug, I have also received the warmth of a presence of which I can only describe as angelic... It was such a beautiful feeling almost indescribable Smoki, imagine a new born child receiving and sensing the warmth of their mother and x that by 100...that's the only way I can describe it... Your loved ones and others in the spiritual realm are by your side throughout your journey and battle with cancer, I wish you all the best mate, stay positive Smoki.

Regards Daz
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-10-13)
Hi Smoki_Tabu, we stayed at Zion National Park some years ago. It is truly a beautiful place to rest, recover and revitalise.

I do get the occasional warm "hug" and it comforts me each time. We recently attended the funeral of Rex-T's aunt, who had been like another mother to us. I was thinking about her as we sat in the gardens on that overcast, wintry day. Then, there came a sudden burst of warmth. For a few moments, it was as if I was sitting in a spot of sunshine and wrapped in love.

I think your thoughts of your grandpa called to him, and he came to bring you comfort and strength. This is a lovely memory to sustain you. Sending healing thoughts and well wishes to you, and may your health continue to improve. ❤
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-10-12)
Hi Smoki Tabu -

I believe it was your grandfather comforting you. He more than many knows what you are going through. I am so glad that it brought you peace.

I have never felt a magical hug like this before but I have received other messages from "beyond" that have brought me comfort and peace.

Please take care of yourself.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-10-12)
I agree with Cuddlebear. I think you already know it was your grandfather but are just doubting yourself. Kick that doubt to the curb. 😜

I'm sorry to hear of your illness. It sounds like you are definitely in touch with the spirit world on a deep level. I'm sure this brings you comfort too.

I've felt that invisible hug too, although only a few times. You described it well; the peaceful, warm, loving tingly feeling is quite intense... Words can't accurately describe it though. 😊

Thanks for sharing a lovely read.
Dee
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-10-12)
I say believe what you will. If it makes you happy and comforted to believe it was your grandfather, then it was. Anyone who nay says you is a fool.

Hope your battle against cancer continues to go well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: