You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Emily, The Boy And The Man

Real Ghost Stories

Emily, The Boy And The Man

 

I'm really sorry if this is really long, but I'm trying to include as much stuff as I can remember about my experience.

My name is Courtney and I'm currently 15 years old. I have always believed in ghosts and the supernatural but have never had any sort of encounter until the Christmas holidays when my family and I went on holidays to my aunt's house in Sydney a year ago.

We had just returned from our trip to Los Angeles (which is the coolest place on earth). I have been told HEAPS of spooky stories about the house in previous years.

The house itself was an old church that was knocked down and re-built out of the stones and bricks that were left remaining. The house is fairly large, bigger than your average house. Its two story and is situated on the top of a tall hill.

Anyways my aunt, uncle and cousin all lived in the house and they also had a family cat named Emily. Emily had a bell on her collar that was easy to hear. In the previous week, Emily got out and was hit by a car. She died and was buried out the front of the house.

On the 9th of October 2011 at 4:30am (it was still dark), I was awoken to an awkward feeling. It was really cold, but I was in Sydney and at that time in the morning its always cold, so I dismissed the feeling the something weird was going to happen. I tried to ignore the strange feeling in my belly, but I couldn't and I also couldn't get back to sleep.

After about ten minutes I heard a weird noise. As my ears adjusted to it, I made out that it was the sound of Emily's bell. I was sort-of creeped out, but I tried to think of other possibilities that might have been the reason for the sounds I was hearing. Suddenly the sounds just seemed to stop. I felt relieved but then a I could hear a different noise. I could make out the sounds of footsteps coming up the stairs (I was sleeping in the office and the door is straight in-line with the stairs). My body practically paralyzed itself in fear. I was so scared! At first I thought someone was awake but everyone was fast asleep. The footsteps were light, not heavy, like a child's. I started to question what was going to happen next... Would they walk into my room? Would I see something I would later regret? How is this even happening? Just as the steps reached the top of the stairs, they too stopped. I was really scared and my heart rate was reaching its limits! (My mum was sleeping at the end of the up-stairs hallway, she was on the lounge.)

And then they started again... The footsteps (much heavier now) were traveling down the hallway towards my mum. At this point I wanted to get up and run to stop who or what was causing my distress. I'm guessing that the footsteps reached the end of the hallway before they stopped, well that's what it sounded like. And that was the last of the noises.

I waited a while to see if I could hear anything else, but there was nothing. It wasn't cold anymore either. After what seemed to be "forever", I decided to see if anyone really was awake. I got up and turned on all of the lights upstairs. I checked all rooms and everyone had definitely been asleep through that episode. The next thing I did was go straight to where my mum was sleeping. I frantically woke her up and explained what had just happened. I also asked her if she had heard anything. I really didn't want to be alone, but I had no choice, she just couldn't stay awake!

I went back to bed with the covers pulled up to my ears. I eventually fell back to sleep but that wasn't until I saw light outside and morning was FINALLY approaching.

I slept in the next morning. I woke up to the safety of the sunlight and went down stairs cautious of the things I had heard happening right where I was standing. I thought it might have all been a dream until I walked into the kitchen where my mum was re-telling what I had told her last night. I immediately became the focus of the story and I asked my aunt if this stuff had happened before. From all of the previous stories I have heard, I guessed that the answer was yes, and I was right.

She explained to me that the noises down stairs was Emily, the footsteps up the stairs was a little boy, and the footsteps in the hallway was a 20 year-old man. She also said that these things happen in broad daylight and that they have also have had light bulbs randomly smashing. Its kind of creepy because they treat all of this supernatural stuff like its natural and they don't know any different. (My mum also mentioned that before she went to sleep that night, she was watching a documentary on the haunting of a mansion called the Grey-Stone Mansion, which we visited on our trip to Los Angeles.)

I also have a question for those who have kept up with me throughout the story and have made it this far down the page. Ok, I'm still getting over the fact that this was really scary for me. My mum wants to go back there to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin, but I'm terrified and I really fear going back there. What should I do? I also have to ask, does this mean anything (that I was only the only one who was awake when this all happened?)

Thank you for reading my story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ccunn2, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ccunn2 (1 stories) (2 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-11)
i meant the September holidays, not the Xmas holidays. Thanks for the mention of it:-)
ccunn2 (1 stories) (2 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-11)
christmas holidays are in december... I ment September holidays in the story... Sorry guys
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
To answer your question, I don't think it means anything that you were the only one who was awake when these things happened. According to your aunt, they have happened before at different times of the day and they really don't sound particularly threatening to me. If you seriously can't face going back there, I can understand that and you need to be honest with your family about your level of fear. I don't particularly subscribe to that whole face-your-fears-and-conquer-them school of thought. Sometimes particular fears just won't go away and unless they are debilitating why should you face them? However, nothing in your post suggests that anyone in the house has come to any harm and so if you do decide to go back I don't think there's anything to fear other than the possibility of another late-night experience. You could try telling whatever it is kindly not to scare you. Also, it may help to sleep in the same room with someone else or to sleep with a light on. As for the cat bell thing, encounters with recently deceased pets are extremely common and nothing to be worried about. I could even be residual noise as opposed to an actual presence or perhaps the cat was simply lingering a bit before moving on to wherever it is pets go after they die.
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
No wonder you have all of that ghostly activity in your Christmas in October!

The sound of bells you heard, came from the reindeer that pull Santa's sleigh!
The heavy footsteps is a disoriented Santa trying to find a Christmas tree to put presents under!
The small footsteps were of an elf, who was trying to help Santa find his way in the house.

Good story! Hahaha. 🤔
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
You really shouldn't be scared to go back. They didn't seem like they were going to hurt you. I would try to find out who those other ghost are, and see if there is some why you can help them move on. Thx for the story, and hope to hear more from you.
GIRLIE ❤
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
Hi Courtney, thanks for sharing your story. When do Christmas Holidays start for your school? Was this at the end of your HSC? I'm just asking because I didn't think people had their Xmas holidays in Oz until about December. At least, that was the time that I recall taking mine, except around the HSC.
Isolde (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
Besides the christmas bloop, I have some other questions:
1. You heard heaps of stories about the house in previous years. Was there never a mention about the boy and the man in those stories? Especially when these entities where so familiair to your aunt?
2. Why were you so scared when you heard the footsteps on the stairs? How did you know immediately that those didn't belong to one of the humans in the house? Was that because of the stories you heard beforehand? How did you know while in your bed that everybody was asleep?

By the way: very brave of you to hear those heavy footsteps and your urge to run directly to it. Many (including myself) would stay put. 😕
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
I caught the Christmas holidays/October thing, too. Hmmmm
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
I have to agree with lady-glow and rookdygin.

How can anyone offer advice when your story doesn't add up?

You state you have a question for those who have kept up with your story and made it this far. Is this something that means have we spotted the mistake?

Also, and I mean this with the greatest of respect, you say in October it was still dark at half four, but in Australia, wouldn't it be kind of light at that time of year? I've not been to Sydney so please somebody correct me on this, I'm just curious.

Lakota73
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-10-23)
Ah lady-glow I take my hat off and bow to you... Well spotted, well spotted indeed.

For those who missed it I'll make a quick quote from the O/P's 'story'...

"...I have always believed in ghosts and the supernatural but have never had any sort of encounter until the Christmas holidays when my family and I went on holidays to my aunt's house in Sydney a year ago.

We had just returned from our trip to Los Angeles (which is the coolest place on earth). I have been told HEAPS of spooky stories about the house in previous years.

The house itself was an old church that was knocked down and re-built out of the stones and bricks that were left remaining. The house is fairly large, bigger than your average house. Its two story and is situated on the top of a tall hill.

Anyways my aunt, uncle and cousin all lived in the house and they also had a family cat named Emily. Emily had a bell on her collar that was easy to hear. In the previous week, Emily got out and was hit by a car. She died and was buried out the front of the house.

On the 9th of October 2011 at 4:30am (it was still dark)..."

Christmas in October... Gotta love it.

Respectfully,

Rook
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
Sensitive nose smells foul odor on this story 😢

Do you celebrate Christmas in October? Really?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: