You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Tanniq

Real Ghost Stories

Tanniq

 

My name is Pelagie Aggark, I grew up in a little town called Chesterfield Inlet, I'm about to tell you a story I heard from my dad who heard from my aunt (brother and sister). During winter many kids would be playing out in the snow (there's always a lot of snow in the north) my aunt was inside the house with my grandparents, all of her brother and sisters (my grandparents had thirteen or more kids) were playing outside or visiting some friend, she was looking for something to do so she went to check the rooms to see what she would play with when she saw my other aunt jumping on the bed.

She said in inuktittut "You shouldn't jump on the bed or I'm going to tell mom and dad" so she went to tell her parents, when she told them, they said marlene was playing outside but she denied it and said she was jumping on the bed, so my grandmother and aunt went to go check the room and there was no one there, they check all 5 rooms and there was no one in the house except them. Then marlene went inside the house with her winter outfit. When my aunt asked her if she was jumping on the bed in the room, Marlene said she was playing outside all day and didn't come in until now. So my aunt was a little scared but got over it.

Years later when I was 8, my parents, my brothers and sister( she was just little back then now she's 13) moved to my grandparents old house (same one). Not even a week later, I was about to go to sleep in my own room but I felt like I was being watched. I checked the door way and there was a little girl looking at me by the side of the door. I was scared out of my wits when she disappeared so I turned and said to myself "I believe in ghosts, I believe in ghosts, I believe in ghosts" (hahaha).

Next morning I told my parents and describe to them what she looked like, the thing is she looked like my little sister, they told me that was her tanniq (which means 'soul' even if she wasn't died) watching me and that I should be scared after that little encounter it didn't bother me or do anything.

I hope you enjoyed it, and sorry if doesn't make any sense I'm not really good with my english. Have a good day.

Other hauntings by paggark

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, paggark, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Pelagie, That is a great story! And not the only tannig story in the database. I am absolutly fascinated by your story and the prospect of souls of the living traveling around without there bodies. I think in dreams I have experienced this. My boyfriend "took me" to visit places he grew up. He did this in my dreams. Later, I explained the specifics of the dream and he said "that sounds exactly like it..."! 😲
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
Hey, paggark, let's have some more! That was an interesting story and thanks for clearing up my little confusion for me. If you can tell some more of your family's stories, that would be great and I'd love to hear them. By the way, your english is just fine and at the risk of sounding snotty, much better than many! 😉
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-13)
I think you done just fine with your english paggark. Thank you for clarifing the mix up in your story with the should or shouldn't and thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
paggark (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-12)
Like I said I'm not good with my english, what meant to say was that 'i shouldn't be afaid' that's what my parents told me, and I have a lot to tell about my family's encounter which I heard from them. Have a good day 😁
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-11)
Hi paggark!
I wonder if you meant that your parents said don't be scared of your sisters taniq, or did they really mean you should be scared. If they said not to be scared, then I guess it's something they know more about. Maybe you should ask them more about the taniq and see what they say. It doesn't sound like somehing to be afraid of. Since your Aunt had the same experience maybe it's something to do with your family history or even the land!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
Wow, an Inuit ghost story... I am still amazed how a web site can reach all the four corners of the earth 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: