You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralyis Or Something Creepy

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralyis Or Something Creepy

 

This is my first story so please if I muck up take it easy on me, I've never been afraid of the dark. I've always loved it, but after last night I can't stand to be in a dark room. So for the past couple of months I've been waking up, but feeling like I'm being pinned down by someone. I can't move at all or open my eyes or make a sound.

Last night (26 of November) was the scariest so far as I found it hard to breathe, like someone was pressing down on my throat. I know I was awake because I could hear the traffic going past my house. As I was trying to move by closing my eyes tighter and then trying to open them and trying to make my head move sideways, as I've found sometimes this allows my eyes to open and me move. In my head I could hear myself screaming but there was no audible sound.

After what felt like 20 minutes, my eyes snapped open and I could move. My throat also hurt like I had been like someone was pressing down on it and I had been screaming.

I jumped out of bed turning on my light. The switch is within leaning distance from the bed. I scanned my room but found nothing. So I walked to my back door, which is down the stairs and a short hallway from my room turning on lights as I went so it wouldn't be dark. I quickly brought my two large dogs inside and took them to my room. After that I slept soundly but I'm to afraid to go back to sleep whilst it's night.

Today I tried explaining it to my sister but she pretty much told me to bugger off and stop making up lies. I have had other experiences but I'll write them in another story.

I could really use someone who's been through this to talk to.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mocha018, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
I tend to think that it could be sleep paralysis, as well. I have been suffering from this since I was 17. There are 2 types of SP. ISP- Isolated Sleep Paralysis (which means a one time episode that may never happen again), and RISP- Reccurent Sleep Paralysis (which is many episodes over a lifetime, and sometimes back to back episodes). These episodes include a loud ringing sound, the inability to move or speak/the feeling of being held down, and hallucinations. I rarely ever hallucinate, but have hallucinated 3 times. I know how very real these hallucinations can feel, because during one episode I felt as though I had truly fought myself awake. I then got up, went to the bathroom, washed my hands, fed my cats, gave them clean water, changed thier litter, washed my hands again, poured a soda, and sat down. Only to find myself still in the sleep paralysis state fighting to wake up all over again. The whole episode felt so real, that to this day I can't believe that I did not wet the bed.
EvilAlbear (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
Hey there Mocha018. Just as you may have read in the comments what youre experiencing is sleep paralysis and if it has become a problem for you then what you need to do is learn how to control these episodes. I have sleep paralysis every now and again but it is intentional as I am learning to have lucid dreams and episodes of sleep paralysis (SP) usually imptove my chances of dreaming lucidly. I have had a lot of experience with SP and I can tell you right now that its nothing to be afraid of and it can be either a positive or negative experience for you. The only somewhat frightening thing to happen to me during sleep paralysis was that I used to get a feeling that I was getting pulled out of bed by some invisible Force. Some people refer to this feeling as astral projection so again is nothing to fear. If you search Jody Whiteley on YouTube you will find some videos on sleep hypnosis. These videos have really helped me gain control of my sleep paralyisis and I and I think they can help you too. Hope this helps! -David
MrJV545 (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
Don't worry, Mocha, there is nothing bad going on here, and thankfully nothing supernatural. The Old Hag is a phenomenon related to dreaming, the conscious and subconscious, and your natural biology. It's a bit much to put into a comment, but the basic explanation for it is that you woke up prematurely from your dream, so your subconscious perceives it as that something dangerous has disturbed you, and therefore creates evil hallucinations. Your natural sleep paralysis (the inability of your muscles to contract so as to not act out your dream and hurt yourself) is still active. As a lucid dreamer, I have the terrible luck of having sleep paralysis every night. For details, please email me. You are in absolutely no danger. If there is something you think is still not quite right, please feel free to ask me.
bmf (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
I did have similar experiences about 15 years ago. It was at a time of great stress in my life. I would be lying in bed asleep (on my back usually - I didn't realize that could have something to do with it until I read a few of the other posts) - and would wake up mentally and be unable to move physically. I would generally just close my eyes and pray. When I eliminated the stress (in the form of a useless boyfriend) it went away. I still have sleep problems but luckily not this one! Hope you find relief soon:)
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
This is scary. I too have had sleep paralysis many times. However; I am not going to say for sure that is what you are experiencing. First off; do you take any medications or drugs? You don't have to answer that but you may wish to look up side effects of those if you are on anything. Secondly; are you typically a restless sleeper? Do you drink a lot of caffeinated drinks, or drinks high in sugar? That alone can disrupt our sleep. Lastly; if you are able to have your dogs in with you every night and it makes you more comfortable I would try that. If it continues, you should start a journal as to when it happens, what has occurred during the day, etc. It is always wise to examine all possibilities. Keep us updated.

Good luck to you, zeta.
luna17 (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
It sounds like SP. This happens when the physical body falls asleep and our mind is still awake. We breathe slower while we're sleeping and that could be the reason why you felt you couldn't breathe. It can be linked to a paranormal phenomena called Out of Body Experience. Everybody has this experience, but to remember is really hard. One of the ways we can remember an OOBE is if we exit through SP. 😊
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-28)
I have experienced sleep paralysis and it is very scary when you don't know what's happening or understand it. On this site is a section called articles and an article about sleep paralysis, I recommend you read it, it helped me. Take care x
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
Agreed, this is sleep paralysis. There may be medical help available and I would mention it to your doctor.
TobiSmith (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
Dear Mocha018,
I understand what you are talking about I went through the same thing for 3 months before and I didn't like it one bit. Some people say it's some sleep paralysis, well I don't think mine was because when I called out for my mother while in this "sleep paralysis" what ever was holding me down macked me and had laugh demonicly. I still remember that laugh to this every day. The part that is true is relaxing and breath deeply and it will go away.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
It sounds like pretty typical sleep paralysis, nothing paranormal in my opinion. I've always considered sleep paralysis to be a sleep problem rather than a ghost problem, since it's caused by natural chemicals your brain releases when you sleep.
I've heard that sleeping on your back or stomach is most likely to trigger a SP episode. That seems to be true, my worst ones have been when I was asleep on my back. I've also heard that remaining calm during the SP event will make it end sooner...can't say anything about that. My temper doesn't let me remain calm. I get so mad that it's happening that I break out pretty quickly. I guess the adrenaline from getting mad counteracts the sleep chemicals, but it works for me. If staying calm and waiting it out isn't your style, try getting mad.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-27)
Dear Mocha018,
What you are experiencing is typical sleep-paralysis or old-hag syndrome.
Please watch a documentary on youtube:
The Entity "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbpOucNVn4";

Do reply
Regards

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: