You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Grandma's Creepy Closet

Real Ghost Stories

Grandma's Creepy Closet

 

Growing up, my Grandma lived in the apartment upstairs in the same complex where my family and I lived.

It was an old building with only twelve apartments in total.

She resided in apartment 2874, while we lived in 2868.

Since before I was born, Grandma had been living alone.

However, she had this closet in her hallway leading to her bedroom that seemed to have a strange occurrence every month.

Once a month, Grandma would ask my mom to come upstairs and help her check her closet.

She claimed that the night before, she would hear a lot of noise coming from her closet.

However, one day my mom was busy and asked me to go in her place.

Little did I know, this would be the start of a series of strange and unsettling experiences.

As I entered Grandma's apartment and made my way to her closet, I was taken aback by the sight before me.

It looked as if someone had ransacked the whole closet.

Her clothes were all upside down, boxes were open, and their contents were scattered across the floor.

It was as if a tornado had swept through Grandma's closet but left the rest of the apartment untouched.

I asked Grandma if this happened every month, and she confirmed that it had been occurring for the past twenty years.

At the time, I didn't pay much attention to it and simply tidied up the closet before continuing with the day.

However, around two years later, my mom suddenly passed away.

In an effort to save money and have some support, Grandma decided to move in with my dad and me.

We were in the process of moving when my dad asked me to retrieve some papers he had upstairs in Grandma's bedroom.

Reluctantly, I made my way to her apartment, feeling a sense of unease in the air.

When I walked past the closet, I could hear loud banging noises as if someone was desperately trying to break out from the inside.

Trying not to think too much about it, I brushed it off and continued towards the bedroom.

However, as soon as I stepped inside, the bedroom door slammed shut, trapping me inside.

Panic set in as I struggled to open the door, only to find that it was being held shut from the other side.

Luckily, I managed to force the door open, and I ran out of the apartment as fast as I could.

As I fled past the closet, I noticed that the banging had intensified and the whole structure was shaking violently, as though it was on the brink of exploding.

Completely terrified, I made it back to my own room, tossing the keys to Grandma's apartment to my dad, and exclaimed, "Forget that! You go get it!" The strange occurrences in Grandma's closet had escalated to a point where I didn't want any part in it.

From that day forward, we never mentioned the incident again, and my dad took on the task of retrieving any belongings from Grandma's apartment.

We moved on with our lives, trying to forget about the unsettling experiences we encountered.

To this day, I still wonder what caused those disturbances in Grandma's closet and if there was something more sinister at play.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mikey85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KenS80 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
9 months ago (2023-07-17)
Sounds like a spooky scenario Mikey. I do not think I would want to know either and I would run out of there faster than a horse out the gates at Royal Ascot.
To top it off you had to deal with the loss of your mother. That is terrible.
Good read Mikey.
Cheers,
(⁽͈˙̑⁾˔̉⁽˙̑⁾͈)
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+2
9 months ago (2023-07-16)
This makes me think very much poltergeist type activity. It would be interesting to know if it continued once your grandma left the apartment and the next tenant experienced the same.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-11)
I can imagine how unsettling it must have been, how your grandmother lived with that all those years is mind boggling, whatever it was I don't think it was confined to just the closet, since you mentioned the bedroom door closing and being held from the other side, whatever that was could do anything, anywhere within the apartment.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+3
10 months ago (2023-07-11)
Hi Mikey and welcome,

Sorry you went through that at such a hard time in your lives.
I was going to suggest raccoons until I got to the part where the door slammed shut, my goodness. A closet that goes bonkers once a month is just as curious as it is spooky. My emotions go haywire on a full moon so I can't help wonder if this occurrence/entity was synced to a phase in the moon cycle.

Was your grandmother ever spooked by it, or did she just take it in stride? Very odd thing to live with either way.

Thanks for sharing.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
+5
10 months ago (2023-07-10)
Hello Mikey85, welcome to YGS! Great story, thanks for sharing!

That is an interesting albeit disturbing encounter. Do you know if this closet was always a closet or what it may have been used as before? How big was this closet space?

I'm wondering if someone had been locked in this closet or whatever it may have been before. I know in my first apartment, the closet in my bedroom had a hole in the door, at least from the inside, you couldn't tell from the outside. It was almost as if someone had tried to get out from the inside. That closet was very cold and made me uncomfortable, so much so that I had disturbing dreams and eventually started sleeping in the living room, although at the time I couldn't tell you what compelled me to do so. There was another incident linked to that and perhaps I'll post in another story, however, this is your story and thread.

I mention it because it reminds me of that closet and I wonder what the significance of the date of this disturbance in the closet was? You said it happened every month, same date/time each month? It was likely before your grandmother's time, and I know residual events replay at regular (and irregular) intervals, yet you say that the closet had a physical disturbance (ie: it had been ransacked) so it's more than residual. Whatever caused the disturbance was being replayed each and very month.

You could research the building and see if anything in the past happened and where. I would be most curious and therein would also lie your answer. Good luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: