You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Vortex in a Bank

Real Ghost Stories

Vortex in a Bank

 

This ordeal happened two years ago when I was in my freshman year of high school. My mom has always had stressful jobs, but one year right before Thanksgiving she got laid off from her government job because they were downsizing staff. This dealt a heavy blow to her because she was dealing with false accusations from her employees. So, needless to say, she was down and depressed. A few months later, she was hired to work for a bank, but since the position for manager was not open, she reluctantly accepted working as a teller.

Before I even go into telling what happened, I need to describe the look of the bank and the kind of people that worked there. The suburb that this building is located in is known for great landscaping. However, if you start driving down the street that passes by the bank, the plants and trees look like they are about to croak. This is especially true around the bank itself. I can't count how many times I've seen gardeners tear out half-dead plants and replace them with new ones, only to see them die about a week or so afterward. The inside of the bank looks as if it has stayed the same since they first built it: ugly, foul-smelling carpet, wood paneling on the walls, and outdated furniture. The other employees who worked there, including my mom's boss, were extremely negative people and seemed to enjoy backstabbing each other. One in particular was caught several times filching money from the cash vault.

Meanwhile, I was dealing with the problem of adjusting to a new school. I made a few friends, including a senior girl whose mom works as a reflexologist and a psychic. Because of the friendship I had with her daughter, this woman offered me rides after school and had let me stay at their house until Dad picked me up late in the evening. Naturally, as I got to know her, she started telling me about spirits, guardian angels, past lives, and all that. At the time, I was rather skeptic, so I would be polite and do the classic listen-and-occasional-nodding-of-the-head trick.

Mom started coming home complaining about work. She has always had the habit of venting about work while she and I are in the car together during the weekends. However, each story she told was stranger than the next. They first started out as things like the other employees suddenly falling down and being nasty to each other. But soon she was telling me stories like this: A customer walked into the bank to make a deposit in her checking account. As she stepped up to the counter, she froze and starting shivering. Mom asked her what was wrong, and the woman replied saying that she suddenly felt extremely cold. This was odd because when they checked the thermostat, it read that the room temperature was 75. The woman said that she would come back and make the transaction later that day. She never did.

Another was when Mom was in the restroom. She couldn't go into the stall closest to the door because all it had as far as toilet paper was the brown roll. When she walked into the second stall, the door slammed behind her and locked her in. As she tried to get the door to open again, she could hear the toilet paper roll in the other stall, as if someone was spinning it on the rod with a finger. She was forced to crawl underneath the stall to get out. She did not waste time in leaving the bathroom.

Still another was when she carried papers down to the basement. According to her, that basement was the most haunted thing in the building. I never ventured down there (she wouldn't let me), but she said that even the feeling you get from being down there is evil. The ceiling was always leaking, and off in one of the corners was a dead potted plant. Not even the leaves were left; it just looked like a big stem that was sticking up from the soil. There was a small card table nearby it. When she set the heavy crate of papers on the floor, her back started to ache, so she sat down at the table. She rested there for a while, and then she felt as if someone was trying to pull the chair out from underneath her. She screamed and ran upstairs.

There are many others that she told me about: more customers feeling cold and frightened, faint laughter coming from the basement, and insects flying in through the door, landing somewhere, and dying. What was amazing was that the other employees did not notice anything.

Because the place was so trashed, Mom was making the effort of cleaning things up. At some point she got rid of the dead plant. From then on, things got worse. She and several people started feeling sick, and she was having dreams about a barn being burnt to the ground.

One afternoon, the lady who was giving me rides said that she would like to meet my family. I told her what bank Mom was working at, and so we drove over there to say 'hi'. As we waited in line, the bank manager came in though the front door. I watched her. Just as she started complaining up a storm, she fell down to the floor. To my astonishment, the way she fell did not look like she had tripped. It looked as if someone had grabbed her leg and tried to pull her down. The woman I was with saw this as well. After she and Mom had a friendly conversation at the counter, she invited us over for dinner.

That evening, Mom told her everything she told me. The lady suggested that there is a vortex in the bank, possibly created by someone dying in the barn fire. She said that it was feeding on the negative energy being sent out by the bank's employees, and that removing the dead plant was what made the spirits upset. She told Mom that she would be able to protect herself if she wore an amethyst necklace or even just a small bead of it in her pocket. It did help, but customers were still experiencing things as they came in.

Mom was telling me that what she noticed about the strange activity was that it seemed like things children would do: spinning toilet paper rolls and pulling chairs from underneath people. I joked, 'Yeah, they're ghost children who are upset because they did not get candy when they wanted'. To my amazement, Mom said that maybe it wouldn't hurt putting out little bowls of old-fashioned jellybeans, peppermint sticks, chocolate kisses, and licorice. She placed a bowl on each desk there, and there were no longer any reports from customers. But what was rather interesting was that within weeks, the other employees were fired by the people in charge of the bank branches in the district.

What happened next made me lose my skepticism. I was home alone one morning, and I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. All of the sudden, I felt a gust of wind around my ankles. This wind was so strong that it caused my hair to fly up. I looked over at the window above the toilet and was shocked to see it closed. My bathroom door was also closed. At the moment, I just shrugged it off.

All throughout that day, however, objects kept falling off of shelves and walls. In our living room, we have a large framed painting that hangs on the wall above our couch. I was napping on that couch until the picture fell right on top of me. The books I had on a shelf in my room were tumbling off and crashing onto my desk. When I saw that happen, I heard someone laughing. Our cats were behaving strangely as well.

When Mom came home that evening, I told her what happened. She began to freak out and say that 'they' followed her home. This time, instead of buying candy (since she knew that Dad would eat it all in one night), she went to the toy store and bought a little doll that had a frilly blue dress and tiny black shoes. She laid it next to the lamp in our living room. A few nights later, while I was lying in bed, I saw in the darkness a bright blue light, about the size of a tennis ball. It floated there for a few moments before it zipped off and faded into nothing.

I'm not sure if that last part is related to the rest of the story, but we did not experience anything else after that.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-04)
Dear Kris,

You are more than welcome. Yes we should not put all of our ghosts into one house (coffin), but instead be open to all possible answers and solutions.

As for the psychic having a screw loose, we all have a few of those loose, especially when we are judged by others. Though, many times we judge ourselves more harshly than others could and would ever do.

Well, good you have another year. My advice to you and all, is to make the most of your time in school and finish high school. Then, get the most continued education you can afford and obtain a degree or degrees. At the same time try hard to stay as debt free as you possibly can. Pay as you go whenever you can. When you owe somebody, they own you. Travel as much as you can and see as much of the world as you can. Learn as much as you can and never stop learning or asking questions. Learn from your mistakes and vow not to repeat them, but don't beat yourself up over them. Nobody who does not make mistakes is not living their life! Put off a spouse and kids until you have traveled and sown your wild oats. Most of all get to know who you are before you become a caretaker or companion to any other soul.

Be yourself, be free and be honest. The ultimate judge is always you and the creator you believe in. To thine own self be true. Blessing, Abby
Kris (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-23)
Wow, thank you Abby! I'm a firm believer that the answers do not come from just one source. That psychic was helpful, but I will admit that she did have a few screws loose, judging by the other explanations she gave me about the situation. Ah well, even a broken clock is right at least twice a day.

I posted this story on here for the very reason indicated: discussion. It was my first paranormal experience, and although my mom does not even want to talk about it, I'm still aiming to fill in some of the blanks. Thanks again for the compliments! 😊

As a teeny tiny insignificant side note: I'm actually going into my junior year in less than a week. I made the mistake of typing up the story late at night when I should've been SLEEPING, so I forgot to type in the words "less than" before "two years". *slaps herself*
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-23)
Dear Kris,

You don't know how much it means to have an author return and answer questions, give more in depth feedback explanations and/or additional physical evidence while doing it with the self empowered style of being open, investigative and of helpful mind.

Personally, I think it is great when an author is self confident and does not have expectations from a reader to validate their story and experience. You are by now, as indicated by your story a senior, and I would like to add for your age, you are a mature person beyond your given age, as well as the way you handle and conduct yourself and life. Your writing shows your personal talents, as each one of us have our specialties, writing seems to be one of yours. I certainly hope that ghost hunting investigations and helping to free trapped, earthbound ghosts (humans) might be another one of your specialties. It looks like you have had a very good start.

Look forward to any further updates about the history if available.

Thank you. Blessings, --Abby

❤
Kris (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-23)
Oh! Oops, I forgot a few things in that last comment! By the time the medium was sent in, those employees were gone, but we still had to spend time persuading the new manager of course. And you have a very good point about the vortex.
Kris (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-23)
Thanks, Abby! Actually, according to a friendly employee at the bank, that plant died in the lobby before it was moved down into the basement (for some reason, the other tellers did not throw it away instead, which is silly). I'm going to see if I can get some extra info on the history. All I know of is that businesses have never stayed in that particular area for very long. That bank has been there the longest.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Dear Kris,

Your story is interesting. Some of the incidents could be paranormal, simple earthbound ghosts and annoying ghostly behavior. While, much of it may have day to day explanations, like plants normally do not do well in basements, especially like the one you described. Not all people have green thumbs, and I've witnessed many time where plants are left dying in many office type settings. As for the psychic surmising that the vortex was possibly caused by someone dying in a fire; many people have died in fires, and if that were the case, this whole earth would have wall-to-wall vortexes. This does not mean I do not believe a vortex may have been there prior or that they do not exist.

Those bank employees sounded quite negative, and don't seem like the type of people who would believe in the paranormal and suddenly they decided to have a medium come in?

It would be nice to have further history about this bank that may be very telling.

As in life and in death, child ghosts do like candy and dolls, so they would most likely gravitate or attach themselves to physical things that they were fond of in life.

Well, at least this story has a happy ending with the medium coming in and sending the ghosts away. --Abby
Kris (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Thanks for reading, Martin! Your theory about the dead plant makes a great deal of sense. Shortly after that last thing happened, we had a medium go into bank and send the spirits away. Since then, the plantlife around that building has been lasting a bit longer. Oh, haha! Yeah, my dad likes his sweets (gee, that's a bit of an understatement). Its a rare thing to see a bag of cookies survive one night in the kitchen cabinet!
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Wow, what an experience Kris! VERY interesting! So the dad has a sweet tooth uh? 😆 I think the plant were dying because the entities were probably feeding off their vital energy to manifest in this reality, once they were gone, the entities fed more from the people around, hence making them sick. Well, that's my theory.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: