You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Friend John

Real Ghost Stories

My Friend John

 

I was returning from the local supermarket on Friday afternoon when I saw a man walking towards me who was a fairly close friend. I had met him often when I walked my dog by the river, and almost every day we would sit together and chat on the seat there.

He had lost his wife, and I am a widow. There was never any romantic attachment between us, just friendship, but I know he would have liked to have taken our friendship further. He bought me small gifts at Christmas, although I never gave him anything in return. He had a son in the police force, as I have, and we often chatted about them.

I liked him immensely. He was a good and kind man, and I always looked forward to seeing him, but I suppose I am selfish in a way in that I like my freedom. I don't want to lose that! My marriage was not a good one, and my late husband was a very violent man who beat me on occasions.

On the day I came back from the supermarket I smiled at my friend and waited for him to speak, but he seemed to be looking over my shoulder, as though he was looking out for someone, and he walked past me without saying a word. He was an ex-Navy man and always smartly dressed, and on this day he had on a navy shirt and a deep red tie, but no coat or jacket, which I thought was odd because it was a very cold day, so I presumed that he had his car close by somewhere. When I looked around there was no sign of him, and as there are no shops or anything on that side of the road, I couldn't think where he had gone.

I certainly didn't regard it then as a "spooky" experience, and I don't now. It was, as far as I am concerned, just one of those unexplained incidents that happen from time to time.

When I reached home I realized that it was the first time I had seen him without his walking stick. He had a slight limp and was never without his stick.

The following Thursday, I bought a local paper, and upon reading the obituary column, I discovered that he had died on the same day that I had seen him. Apparently he had died in a rest home, where he had been for the past couple of months according to his family.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, stonegate3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

fromfactorytofactory (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2021-09-02)
This is another favorite encounter, one of the best shared on this site and really heartwarming. I hope you are continuing to do well stonegate3.
stonegate3 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Hi zetafornow, Thank you for reading my story "My Friend John" and for your thoughtful comments.
I never believed before in an "afterlife" and I am now convinced that seeing my dear friend for the last time, was meant to convince me how wrong I was. It has taken me some days to realize just how "mind blowing" my encounter with him was!
stonegate3 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-04-11)
Hi Petersspirit,
Thank you for your kind comments. It's strange how things like this happen, and It's not until much later that you realize the enormity of what you witnessed is it? To be perfectly truthful, I had never believed in occurrences such as this. I thought it was all "mumbo-jumbo" concocted by story tellers just to gain attention. Now it has broadened my horizons and made me aware of another world, beyond this one. Stonegate3
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-10)
Thank you, Hotrod13! I've never heard of ADC before. I'll tell my boyfriend about this, so he will know what he experienced that day.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
what a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it with us! I think it's great you got to see him one last time.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-08)
Hi stonegate:

This is a marvelous story and a great experience to have witnessed in your life. I think that when people pass, sometimes they can come through to people whom they cared about, were important, people that they just want to see a last time. You must be a bit insightful to be able to see your friend for one last time. It is a good feeling however; sorry for your loss. Sometimes in life the most important people in our lives are the ones that are not family members, good friends, etc. But rather the ones that we see quite often and have commonalities.

Thanks, zeta.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
stonegate3,

Thank you for this heart touching sharing...

Peter,
Hotrod13 (141 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
Talon,
What you just described is known as adc-after death communication. A very mysterious phenomena.
TalonWalt (3 stories) (69 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
This reminds me of a story my boyfriend told me. He works at a large retail store, and one day an old family friend (Mickey) walked up to him as he was standing outside on break. He gave her a hug, and a kiss on the cheek. He told her that he had heard that she was sick, but that she looked great. She said that yes she was sick for a long while, but was better now. They spent the next fifteen minutes talking about old times, and caught up on each others lives. Then my boyfriend had to go back to work. He told her when she got done shopping, if she could find him in the store to stop by so they could talk some more. She never did. But it is a big store, so he didn't think anything about it. That night he went to his moms and mentioned to her that he had seen (Mickey) that day and she looked great. His mom said, "It wasn't Mickey, Bill!" He said, "Yes it was, Mom! I talked to her for fifteen minutes, it was her!" She told him again, "It wasn't Mickey, Bill!" He then got frustrated and said, "Mom it was Mickey! I should know, I spent my whole break talking to her." His mom then told him, "Bill, Mickey died over a year ago."
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-07)
I'm sorry that your friend passed. As you said not a spooky experience, but one that does make you go 'hmmm'. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Starberrywishes (3 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
I would consider it lucky for you to be able to see him again, but it's sad he had passed away. 😢

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: