You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: John And Sally Doe

Real Ghost Stories

John And Sally Doe

 

I used to stay with my Aunt Debbie and Uncle Joe every couple of weeks or so, as I was very close to my cousin Jennifer. They had a big pool in their backyard and a really nice deck, and we would swim and "lay out" all day, playing house, pretending to be women and not two girls of six and eight years. It was a good time.

One day, a girl and a boy came over, both of whom must have been associated with my cousins in some way. I don't remember their names, so for the sake of this story, they are John and Sally. John and Sally Doe. (John and Jane isn't as catchy.)

Jennifer didn't seem to care for them much, but Aunt Debbie didn't want either of us to be rude to our guests, so we played together nonetheless. She made us lemonade, and the four of us sat out on the deck talking. John showed off with some cool diving techniques in the pool (perhaps they wouldn't be so cool to a nineteen-year-old Brittany, but the six-year-old Brittany was quite pleased), and Sally honestly didn't do much of anything that stood out, but I supposed it wouldn't be far fetched to say that I probably had a small crush on John.

Both children had yet to lose their baby fat, I suppose. Sally had really long mousy-brown hair which she tied back. She was wearing a one-piece bathing suit- I think that it was black with a couple of really big pink flowers. I don't really remember that much about their appearance. However, when the evening was nearing, both John and Sally said that they had to return home or they could risk a good grounding, and so Jennifer and I walked them out to the sidewalk where we said our goodbyes. I was always shy as a child, and I remember standing in front of Sally, Jennifer in front of John, the sunlight nearly blinding me, feeling somewhat anti-social. I never liked the end of the day because it meant the end of fun, and I suppose I felt a little sad, too. I looked down at the sidewalk and noticed that Sally's toe nail was black, but not from nail polish. I asked her what she did to it.

Sally explained that her father was mowing the lawn and he told her to move out of the way, but she wouldn't listen, and he accidentally hit her toe. John was silent. I asked her if it hurt and she said she cried when it happened. I recalled an instance that happened not too long ago to my best friend Timothy, who injured his finger while helping his dad saw wood because he heard me throwing a tantrum next door (we lived in the same apartment building). He wasn't seriously hurt, but his finger nail surely was.

I told Sally about this but she didn't say much, or at least enough that I could remember now (twelve or thirteen years later), but they both turned and walked away and Jennifer and I followed suit.

Two weeks passed and I found myself spending the night with my aunt and uncle once again. One morning I went into my Aunt Debbie's room while she was applying her make-up and asked her if she remembered John and Sally Doe (I was hoping that if I mentioned them in a nonchalant way, she would invite them over again and I could avoid awkward questions- remember when I said I was shy?), but her answer wasn't what I expected at all.

"Who are John and Sally Doe?"

Confused, I tried to explain who they were- the two kids that came over and played with Jennifer and myself. She made us lemonade! She told us not to be rude!

However, my Aunt Debbie became slightly angry at Jennifer for having friends over without her permission, and Jennifer, equally confused, argued that she didn't know a John and Sally Doe, and I argued on her behalf that Aunt Debbie was there and met them, and I just wanted them to come play with us again. No go. Neither of them remembered John and Sally's visit. Jennifer swore she never met them. Aunt Debbie thought I was telling stories.

I was just confused.

To this day, John and Sally "don't exist".

Other hauntings by frenchpoet

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, frenchpoet, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GiiGii (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-04)
Ive had the same thing as Nasha. I dreamt having something I can't remember it was so long ago and then about 2 weeks later I was thinking where it was, weird lol. The thing about Sally and John could have been a dream like everyone does keep saying, however it could have been a ghost which simply you only remembered (not really a proffesional on ghosts and stuff was just an idea lol) Also like someone else has said it could have been just your imagination although doubt it very much (not being mean or anything)

I have to admit though your experience was pretty weird. (You probably won't read this as I don't think you come online much anymore, but hey-ho, maybe you will, maybe you won't lol)

Thanks for posting

Gina 😆 ❤
ChildOfTheLotus (10 stories) (133 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-03)
Great story. Completely confusing though. It must be frustrating being the only one that remembers a thing about them when you know your family members saw them.
nicka (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-24)
I have heard about similar story here in Norway. I do believe that the 2 children was ghosts that just wanted some fun for a while.
Why only you remember them I can't answer for... Maybe you had most contact with them at that time...?
no_average_angel (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
Wow! I've never heard anything like this before! There's a small chance it might have been a dream but if you remembered everything so clearly then it probably wasn't! They were probably spirits! Maybe they earased your memories after they left? Just kidding, but it's possible! ❤ 😆
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Lol, like many others I am prone to dreaming and then waking up and being quite disappointed in finding out what I dreamt wasn't real (the most clear on I remember was the new pokemon movie back when I was 7).
But as for this story, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe they were spirits...
Nasha (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
maybe they were ghost although I don't see why your auntie would say not to be rude... But I have a theory on that,
Say it was a ghost and your cousin jennifer was being rude to what she thought was your imaginary friends and her mum telling her not to be rude?
Freaky huh?
Although I once dreamnt that I had a polly pocket horse thing and I woke up and thought it was true and asked my brothers and my mum were it was?
Ohiowatha (11 stories) (415 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
I'm a little confused how one can confuse dreams and reality. But maybe I'm dreaming right now... 😆
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
Wow. That must have been frustrating when everyone didn't understand you. I get frustrated when my dad doesn't take me serious with the ghost stuff.

But being a little skeptical that it wasn't a dream or your imagination. But if you say its true, then I don't doubt you. I do hate it when people doubt your storys so I won't doubt you. 😁 ❤ 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-19)
WOW!THAT IS WIERD! I have never EVER heard a story like this before! Well maybe in a Stephen King book. GREAT story. I wish I could help you here but I have know idea how to help you here! This story is going into my favourites. Thank you for posting it. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
I like this story! There's a possibility, if Jennifer hadn't spoken to them that much, they may have been ghosts. I remember playing games with my friends when I was six years old or so and having them not really know what I was talking about or vice versa and just going along with what was happening. It could have bee that. You could have been seeing ghosts and Jennifer seeing nothing and just going along with your "game..."
frenchpoet (10 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
I thought that maybe it was a dream...That's completely possible.

Well, it's also possible they didn't remember but it was only a two week gap. =/ And they had lived there for awhile. I'm not sure. It's weird to think I could have dreamt the whole thing but it's a strong possibility...

I honestly can't recall if Jennifer spoke to them. I don't think she liked them, though. I remember that she wasn't happy that they were around.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-18)
Ok,that is weird! Is it possible that your cousin and aunt simply cannot remember either of them because they were not regular visitors?

Was it only once you saw them coming over for a visit?

Did Jennifer speak or, in any way, interact with the siblings that day?
burning_flame87 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-17)
I once had a similar experience which I believe was not paranormal. I remember a 3 day holiday vividly but my parents swear that it never happened. I think it was either imagination or more likely a dream. I'm not accusing you of dreaming but that's almost certainly what happened to me and for many years I remembered my holiday perfectly even though it almost definitely never happened. As a child such vivid dreams can be easy to pass off as reality.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: