You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Abandoned House In Allentown, Pa

Real Ghost Stories

Abandoned House In Allentown, Pa

 

This story took place last summer in August. I went to visit family in Allentown, PA. I used to live in PA when I was 2 and left when I was 12 to move back to NY. So I try to visit my other family who only consists of my dad, granny, uncle, aunt and cousins.

My cousins have an obsession with the paranormal and it didn't surprise me when they would have a new ghost story. They've been in a real haunted house near Jordan Park, a park we used to go to when we were younger. I sat there trying to think of the house they were talking about and then it hit me: the big white abandoned house. I'm 17 and that house has been abandoned since I was 2 and probably way before that. I couldn't believe that my cousins and their friends had been inside! My cousin Asia told me every time they go there's always a black cat or an owl watching from a tree nearby. I was excited; I really wanted to go.

So we did. My little brother, my 3 cousins and maybe 6 of their friends. We went at around 10 pm with the moon almost full. It looked like a haunted house from a scary movie, standing in a slight dip landscape with overgrown weeds and vines.

The 11 of us walked onto the property and went inside through the back. My cousins had taken apart wood panels from a window. Through the window we traveled up a staircase that led to the 2nd floor of the house. Danny, my cousins' friend, led the way with a flashlight. I was 2nd to last. The place was still furnished a bit, with rusted tables, a chair and a fireplace. The floors were fragile. We walked around at least 3 rooms before loud rappings began to be heard on the walls. I hadn't mentioned to my cousins before we left the place that I saw a black figure standing in the opposite room. But we all ran out, too scared to look back.

My cousin Malachi and Danny swore they heard a deep voice say, "Who's there?" I believe them because they were all the way in the front and they are some of the most honest people I know of.

A few days later I searched the house's history on google; 80 hours later (exaggerating) I came across a Morning Call article of the house. It turns out that the place belonged to a guy named Thomas Strauss, the first man to bring wheat into PA. He died in the house as well as his wife in 1913. He had 4 daughters, one died at 14. Another article is of a man in 2008 who went digging in the area & found hundreds of old liquor bottles from the 19th century. Was Thomas a drunk? Was that him in the house? We would never know.

Other hauntings by _LalaBesos_

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, _LalaBesos_, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Iiwonthuntthem (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
I know this post is older but I'll just clarify a few things. If this is the house that I remember, it has been empty since before 1986 although there were curtains at one time. I have a relative who lived in the small stone house next to it (which is very old and listed with the historical society). I did not realize that Peter Karoly owned it, my husband hired him one time a few years after he passed the bar; he was a very nice man. As I said, I didn't know that it was he who bought the building, I just remember my relative saying that it had been said that the owners had "run into some problems with the house" and wouldn't be restoring it after all. The names on the above document are Peter and his wife; unfortunately they died in a plane crash in 2007. More than 10 Years ago my daughter took an art class and they went there to sketch; I assume they had permission for that.
_LalaBesos_ (2 stories) (4 posts)
-2
11 years ago (2013-08-27)
First of all the place is indeed abandoned there are no curtains, the research took us a while to figure out being that #1 there was no address only a street name but it's 1055 N. 6th st, #2 because it says I'm 17 doesn't mean everyone else was underaged, i've been inside i've lived in PA I know local legends no questions asked. If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. It's not your job to do other research that's not even on your story. I wouldn't lie i'm not someone looking for trouble. There's no way possible anyone could get inside unless someone did what my cousins did. Nobody knows who's voice that was. Val please don't comment on any of my stories anymore. It's stories but i'm not making it up. To everyone else thanks for the feedback.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-23)
Good-gosh-golly...if y'all can't just make a girl blush! Thank you for all your kind comments SDS on this and some other entries too.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-23)
I think this stuff is something of a youthful adventurism than anything to do with paranormal as there are things that could be easily explained in rational terms. Appreciations Val once again.

Regards and respects to you Val.

SDS
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-23)
Awww, thanks, Marine 😊 😁
"Your comment has 18 characters and must contain 50." Geeze, that's like challenging you to add SOMETHING that won't sound totally tacked on!
Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-23)
I myself always look forward to Val's comments, I always glean something new everytime, all the time 😁
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
No worries, Raftin' πŸ˜‰
Sometimes, I wish we had avatars here, like other sites, just to give us a clue on gender! Lol And I have been called much, much worse than "he" LOL.
Thank you for the compliment! It's good to know that my eons of research (in order to understand my own reality, so to say) is of help to others.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
Oh so sorry Val. Just looked you up, and from previous posts it's obvious you are one of the smart parties. Sometimes hard to tell with our silly login names. My apologies again. You have lots of wisdom to offer here ❀
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-15)
Raftingirl...thanks for the compliment but ummm...errrr... I'm a girl too! πŸ˜†
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-15)
valkricry - you've done it again:)

Boarding up a property you want to keep people out of until it's been sold is a normal practice. It means KEEP OUT.

That includes a gaggle of teenagers breaking and entering. He's right. Ya'll were trespassing.
glas_enaid (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-15)
indeed a good tale of youthful mischief, and on the findings of valkricry's google crystal ball id be more so curious as to what happened to make the lawyer up and decided to board the place up, perhaps lack of funds or maybe something more unexplained 😜
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-14)
At Ari, What? You didn't know my crystal ball has a name? I call it Google πŸ˜†.
And thank you, Rachel. I do try and use my smartyness for good.
πŸ˜‰
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-14)
Interesting story here, Lala. Good reasearch too, Valkricry 😁. I also thought that it could've been a mere mortal, not Spirit related, but who knows?
Love & Light, Rachel ❀
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-13)
I would have said,"How on earth and in heavens could you know that Holmes!"

But as you gave it all away, I am just inclined to say,"Well done dear ole chum."

BTW,thanks for sharing Lala 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+5
11 years ago (2013-07-13)
Question: what did you guys tell your parents you were up to? (Hey, I'm just nosey that way. I mean 11 of you - all underage trooping off at 10 pm? I'd question it. Lol)
The wall rapping could be animals in the walls. The voice that of a squatter, or even the owner. I didn't believe the Strauss house to be completely abandoned. Look closely at the pictures in this article: http://www.glswrk-auction.com/contest08-3.htm
One can clearly see curtains and lamps that are on in the windows. The lamp in the servant's house is extremely clear. Those are from 2008. Just a FYI Thomas Strauss did not bring wheat to Pennsylvania. He was the first miller to introduced spring wheat, and was the first to sell Minnesota flour and that was prior to 1898. This article ran in the Morning Call Paper on May 16, 1993 http://articles.mcall.com/1993-05-16/news/2917707_1_grist-mill-macarthur-road-white-house. It tells us that a lawyer bought it with plans to turn it into law offices back in '93.
But I just had to dig a bit more - because you did say that you were there last summer which would have been 2012, right? BIG gap between '93 and last summer. Another article from 2003
Http://articles.mcall.com/2003-02-19/news/3453946_1_grist-mill-strauss-family-property: the last line is particularly interesting; "In the 1980s it was purchased by Allentown attorney Peter Karoly. He told The Morning Call in 1993 that he planned to use the building as office space. But it was boarded up shortly thereafter and has apparently not been worked on since."
But the most recent is from a sheriff's sale this year, ending next month:

2003-C-0966 Continued to 08-23-2013
STATE SAVINGS BANK
VS.
PETER J KAROLY
LAUREN B ANGSTADT
LAUREN B ANGSTADT
1055 North 6TH ST WHITEHALL, PA 18052
ATTY: DANIEL G SCHMIEG PHONE 215-563-7000
PIN: 549796047723 Costs: $349,712.94 Opening Bid: $1,791.49

So that voice your friends heard, could have been entirely mortal. But still - scary. Add that to the fact y'all were trespassing πŸ˜†. That opening bid, definitely backs up your claims of it being pretty dilapidated. Which leads one to wonder, what the heck happened between 2008 and 2012 (4 short years) to lead to such differences?
And you all probably thought I was leading up to calling this a fabrication... Shame on you! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Oh, and for the morbidly curious time spent on researching this? About 15 minutes.
Good story!
Seeker1 (3 stories) (58 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-13)
I'm with Swims in that it could have been a vagrant. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to a paranormal conclusion. Rule out other possibilities first... Maybe you guys could try it again next visit?

Blessed Be 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-12)
Well, the rapping could be something. Never hurts to exhaust all other posibillities, so the voice could have been a camper using the house as a squat. I'm thinking wheat was growing in Pennsylvania a couple centuries before 1913, but yeah it could be anybody. Sounded fun.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: