You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Jockey

Real Ghost Stories

The Jockey

 

As most of you know, I work at a nursing home in Illinois. Some postings on YGS have me thinking about two incidents that happened almost 12 years ago.

The first incident was odd. At that time I was still working in the housekeeping department rather than the activity department I work in now. In February of 2001, it was after the residents had finished eating their lunch, I was mopping the floor of the dining room. This dining room has windows that look out to the employee parking lot. As I was mopping I saw what looked like a horse jockey go through the passenger side of my car and vanish. I did not say get in my car, the door never opened.

My first thought was, "What in the world was that?" I thought of a jockey because of how he was dressed. He had on a outfit that looked jockey silks to me.

Now comes the weird part. I have never been a fan of NASCAR, but when I got home and the news was on about Dale Earnhardt and they showed his picture, I thought the outfit in the picture looks like what my jockey had on.

The second incident happened later in the same year, I think around Mother's Day. I was getting ready to go to lunch. To get to the break room we have to walk by a set of doors that face the parking lot. Same lot as in the first incident. I saw a figure of a man leaning against on of the CNA's cars, wearing what looked to me a Mr. Roger's type sweater. Once again on the news Perry Como passed away.

Sounds odd and a bit crazy, I know I know that nursing homes are portals. I think maybe for those short times a bit more of the portal opened. Because of that I just caught a brief glimpse of them moving on.

Other hauntings by Arwen1957

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Arwen1957, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-28)
I guess I can share one weird experience of mine here, since it's not a ghost story so I can't post it as an official story, but it does relate to what happened to you.

When I was in high school, I was in Band. We had marching band practice in the summertime for a couple months leading up to our County Fair on Labor Day Weekend. The year I was first chair flautist, so when I was about 16, we were marching near the middle school and I smelled smoke. I made a comment about how strange it was that on such a hot breezeless day anyone would bother to burn their trash. Someone asked what I was talking about. I asked, "Don't you smell the smoke?" No one did.

A few minutes later, we were playing whilst marching, and I suddenly felt pain in my left arm. I stopped playing and clutched my arm. The pain grew worse. I groaned and tried not to scream. A friend in the trombone line asked what was wrong. I said my arm was burning, and I didn't know what was wrong. After the song was over, the burning sensation subsided, and I shrugged it off.

The next day, that trombonist asked me if I had "heard the news." What news? Well, apparently during the previous afternoon when we were marching, a boy scout troop leader had been teaching some younger kids how to start a fire. Well, he accidentally caught a barn on fire and managed to burn his lower left arm, exactly where I'd felt burned.

After he shared this, everyone in the trombone and flute section stared at me like I was a freak of nature. I laughed it off and said he was pulling my leg. But he was quite serious. He told some other friends of ours about it later. He was genuinely spooked. By this time in my life, my friends had forbidden me from saying the phrase "I wonder what would happen if" because whenever I used that phrase, it would happen.

Well anyway, I guess that sometimes, even when we don't know someone, we are linked to them. I call it "hive mind". The reason why we feel when people we DO know pass away, why when we get that phone call and know the announcement's coming, how we sense when someone's in danger, why we get the same song stuck in our heads at the same time with no trigger even though it hadn't played on the radio all day, etc.

I just consider it evidence that we're all linked together in more than just a physical sense.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-28)
Now where was it I read about a cat who always visits the beds of those about to pass away? Ah, here we go. Http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cats-sixth-sense-predicting-death/

Thank you for sharing your story. 😊
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-26)
Arwen
What a great story. You are a sensitive if you have seen this with patients as well. Too bad the patients can't give you a final message for family members. Then again some of those messages may not be something you want to repeat as some are put into nursing homes and then forgotten. It's sad.
Regards
RedWolf
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
Arwen, you really are gifted. You know I read that and thought there is no resemblance by any stretch between a jocky and Dale Earnhardt. So I looked up the news 12 years ago. They weren't famus but there was a disaster in Italy of school children that died in an Earth quake. Now they would have been wearing something that looked like jocky silks, and walking in the yard you'd have thought "jocky". Don't really know, just speculating. That's a wow.
xXWOLFANGELXx (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-23)
That happenening to you twice in the same area abouts must have given you a start. Especiallly when you heard of people passing later on whi looked like those spirits you saw. Nascar and jockeys clothes are nothing alike though. As a photographer that is a proffesional. I have taken photos of both. But as not a fan I can understand your confussion. I still think you are very lucky to have seen what yiu have. And just maybe your work place has a type of portal. Or maybe you attracting spirits as you have a gift a.d so far these ones have just chosen to show themselves to you. I think it is brulliant and you are very lucky either way.

Your story is great.
XXWolfAngelXx
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-20)
Lady Glow, I have had those random thoughts while working in the kitchen, too, sort of letting my mind wander. They aren't usually about any news event, though. I did have a strange experience in a dream once and the next day the celebrity who popped into the dream was dead.

Arwen, thanks for sharing your story. These things happen and they are disconcerting to us when they do.
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
Arwen,
That is pretty weird, but you aren't alone. It's one of the more puzzling aspects of the unexplained though. Usually, we hear of apparitions like this in connection with the passing of a friend or relative. Which at least makes a type of sense - a last goodbye perhaps. But when for all purposes an unknown (although famous) pops up it makes you scratch your head. Although - just a sidecar of a thought here, perhaps one of the residents had a connection? And with you being,let's say sensitive, you caught a glimpse? I don't know. But I do know others have had the same sort of experience. Guess we just have to put it in our WTH file 😊.
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
Yes, Lady-Glow, It is weird. Usually, when I see something off it means a resident has passed or will very soon. Those two times we did not lose a resident near when I saw the figures I did. If I had been a fan of NASCAR I would have thought it was all in my head but since I am not it is just weird. Just like the other figure such a random one. And I have never seen anything like them since only the usual things seen by others at the home The little blacked eyed boy, a little red headed girl and older couple and vague shadows and misty forms
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
Arwen: your story brings to my mind something that has puzzled me for several years; one day in April 2005 I was cleaning the kitchen and a thought came to me out of the blue, it felt almost like a voice but not in my ear but in my head, and it said "the Pope is dead".
I turned on the TV and they were talking about pope John Paul II passing at that very moment.
I know his death was expected and I wasn't following the news with a particular interest, but still something or someone let me know when it happened. Weird, isn't it?
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
An odd and interesting story, Arwen. Thank you for sharing it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: