You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Thin Rat

Real Ghost Stories

The Thin Rat

 

The first time I ever heard mention of the thin rat was in 2004. Enid, a resident living at the home, told me she saw a thin rat go through her closet door. I looked around her room and closet and found now sign of a rat. Since no sign of rodents being there was found, I passed the rat off to a part of her illness.

Several years later (2007) another resident, Peg, kept saying a thin rat ran all off her dresser and nightstand. Since Peg was a resident for physical problems, rather than dementia, several traps were set and nothing was caught.

Since than there have been reports of the thin rat in various places in the home, but never any physical evidence of the thin rat.

This year there have been two sightings of the rat. The first sighting was by Lily, a resident who just happens to stay in the room where Peg used to stay. She told a coworker and I that a thin rat was running around in front of her TV on her dresser. This happened in late September.

The most recent sighting of the rat was last week by an LPN. She was in the room with a family member of a resident who had just passed away, and she saw the rat run to a corner of the room.

I noticed a bit of a pattern to the rat showing up. It seems that whenever we lose a group of residents in a short time it shows up and is not seen again for a long time.

I know it could be put off to many rats over many years. But why does the rat always look the same to those who see it? Why do only a few people see it? I would think if it was an actual rat, there would be more sightings and evidence that it was there. Just seems a bit odd.

Other hauntings by Arwen1957

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Arwen1957, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
Toryan This same creature has been seen for almost 20 years. And it I snot always around. It can be a long time between sightings the last time was about 11 months If it were a real rat why has only one been seen for such a long time?
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-06-08)
It's a rat. Nothing more. I would get your place trapped for them. Nothing paranormal here... Just a rat.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Hmmm...an ermine is biger than a rat. It's long like a weasle because they're related. I don't know, ghost rat, that would be awefull.
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
Lady Glow not sure what the rat is. The home was just sold I wonder if the rat was some how connected to the old owner. He had had the business for over 30 years and yesterday was his day at the business. It will be interesting to see if the rat continues to show up.

Valkricy I know no droppings nothing ever caught in the traps but spiders unlucky enough to get caught in the sticky traps. Also no signs of rodent damage like holes from gnawing Just weird And I would think if there was one real rat there would also be other rats, that is what is the oddest only one rat always said to be very thin
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
Arwen1957, It could be the Rat comes around to warn of a for certain passing. Maybe to allow them time to prepare themselves to pass over. Especially if it tends to show up when passings start up. I've heard of several different types of spirits doing similar things, never a rat though. Interesting story.
valkricry (49 stories) (3271 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
Well, that IS weird. If there was a rat of some kind, surely droppings or other evidence would have been found.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
Arwen1957: That is a puzzling experience. Do you think the thin rat could be an ermine? 😕
I guess a person could think a thousand possibilities to explain the sightings of that rat, but after reading your story I remembered this article from a while ago: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7129952/Cat-predicts-50-deaths-in-RI-nursing-home.html
Perhaps this rat, either alive or of the ghostly kind, likes to check on the people that passed over?
Thanks for sharing your story with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: