You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Uncomfortable Darkness

Real Ghost Stories

Uncomfortable Darkness

 

Im going to start this off with I am a 24 year old female and I still sleep with the covers over my head. Embarrassing, but true. I have Many different accounts or experiences with the paranormal as do a lot of people in my family, but this is when it started for me...

My mom always told me how my favorite question when I was little was "Who's that?" Because from the time I could stand in my crib or speak words I'd constantly point and ask that question, which she never could answer because no one was there besides us in a room. As I got a little bit older and could describe things, she found out what I would see were "the black people" as I called them. (As a small child with not much knowledge on how to properly describe things, that's what they were to me.) They were all black figures in the shape of people with no detail but their eyes.

I remember many times waking up in the middle of the night with them standing in my room just watching me or hearing their thoughts quickly whisper back and forth with each other but never being able to make out what they said. Or getting ready for school staring down my staircase as one stared back at me. With my mom always about to rush me to get ready then realizing that I was seeing "something". (Unlike some moms who don't believe in spirits or demons and jump to the conclusion that their child has an imaginary friend, my mom knows all to well how perceptive our family is to the paranormal, having many experiences herself growing up.) So she'd ask, "Are they back? Where are they?" So I'd describe how many there were, always followed by "What do they want?" Of course she didn't know how to answer, but would tell me that they couldn't hurt me and to just to ignore them. I always felt that they were watching me, but also waiting for me. I'm not sure for what exactly but I know they were waiting. The way I would describe it is as if the grim reaper is waiting for that right time to take you away which is not the greatest feeling. I got so used to them that it just became a way of living for me... Until I started to get night-terrors.

Not too sure what age the night-terrors began but they were nothing short of terrifying. Most I don't remember now but the one I do remember is as if it just happened yesterday. My parents have huge glass mirrors on their closets which take up a whole wall and almost every night I would sleep in their room on the floor next to that wall, because being next to them I felt more protected.

On that night my parents woke up to me screaming so, of course, they flew out of bed and rushed to my side. They found me staring into their mirror crying, yelling that they were going to get me. I remember that I was standing on my cul-de-sac and there were a group of "The black people" standing across the street huddled as if they were talking... Then, quickly all turned to me glaring and though they never really spoke to me I could hear their hard-to-make out, quick whispers back and forth and feel that they wanted me to go with them. And where they were going was not a good place. Every second that passed I could feel them getting closer and pulling me in more and I had no way out.

Thankfully, my dad was my way out. My parents realized dealing with my night-terrors so much that my dad was the only person who could calm me down and pull me back to reality. We sat there while I stared into the mirror crying as he held my hand and asked me questions. "Where are they?" I'd point... "What do they want?" I answered, "They want me to go with them... But I'm scared." So he replied, "I'm standing right next to you, do you feel me holding your hand? They can't hurt you while I'm here." This went on for about 10 minutes until I was finally calm. Then he was able to tell me, "It's time to go to sleep now. Tell them they need to leave, and close your eyes." I closed my eyes and he picked me up and put me into their bed and I slept the rest of the night there.

That's the last time I can recall seeing "them". My little cousin has had the same experiences that lasted until she was much older. From time to time I will get a quick glance at one as I walk by a room or hear whispers as I go to sleep, but thankfully it is nowhere close to when I was a child and my mind allowed me to really see them.

Because of this experience, to this day I will not sleep without the covers over my head because I constantly feel something watching me and somehow it's some sort or protection, or maybe just comfort I haven't been able to shake after all these years. I don't know for sure what these things are or where they want you to go, but I do know it is not an experience I'd wish on any child.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Angel44, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Angel44 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-14)
Thank you so much to everyone who commented on my experiences. I appreciate all your feed back, opinions, and information! Diego 24, I would love to see what you have created! Spiritwaiting, yes I suffered from those things before but mostly still dealing with anxiety. I seem to have become more afraid as I get older, even though I am not sure why. Though I am very happy I do not deal with these kind of encounters anymore.
Thanks again!
Diego_24 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-12)
Hi angel44 I used your story as inspiration for some narrative dialogue in a short film I made for a class project I credited your user name but if you have anything to say to me or would like to see the film you can reach me at diegodorame [at] gmail.com.
AudreyJay (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
These are commonly called shadow people/shadow beings. Personally, I don't believe that they are capable of harming anyone. They are just what I call "watchers", meaning that they watch you but don't communicate or interact in any way. Some people even believe that they are guardians so to speak, watching over and protecting you. Try to remember the feeling you got from them, was it terror? Uncomfortable? Basic fear? Or did your fear come from the creepiness of seeing them whispering? Perhaps they weren't there to frighten you, but to keep away what was giving you the terrors. Good Luck
lawluck1 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-27)
I have since I was a child heard people talking,laughing,whispering my name, but have never seen a ghost shadow people etc. I have over the years had friends see a man with grey hair with dark clothes walking a large black dog he is always at a distance stairing at me I am told. My mother showed me picture (they had hidden from me) in the pictures my face is always distorted in one you can see this man, we were at a public pool he is off in the distance its one of the only picture where I am not distorted. Is he a shadow person
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-26)
Angel44, As a child you must have been terrified after discovering what th eey wanted from you. Shadow people are dangerous to. Some extent. They feed off of anger, you being scared. Much like an evil entity. But they can also cause these emotions in the people they seem to follow. Thankfully you are ok, and hopefully they haven't caused any damage to your well being. Have you suffered from anxiety,depression,anger issues? You don't have to answer, if I'm prying to deep I'm sorry. Just trying to help.
Scary experiences though.

Sincerely Spiritwaiting 
eternal_flame (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-23)
WOW, crazy stuff. I've had experiences with shadow people myself, and they've always acknowledged my presence but never to that level. So sorry you had to experience that.
basilisk193 (35 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-21)
According to most Asian believes, the living energy - ki or kundalini or whatever it is, it's called different ways, is what bound your souls to the body - the definition of being alive, and hidden very deep inside you. There are certain veins/chakra v.v. On your body that this energy can leak out through. This leaking is common in children because their bodies are not fully developed, the veins would close up as they grow. Because this astral energy flows more freely inside their bodies, they can gain extrasensory abilities such as seeing ghosts, but ghosts also like to feed on the leaked energy. The opened veins also allow spirits to infest them more easily. So yeah, when you feel them pulling you to somewhere unpleasant, it's actually just right outside your body, right outside the protection of your life flame. But they can't touch you anymore now, I assure you.
This childhood condition of energy leakage is inheritable and your family seems kind of prone to it so be careful with your children and stay around them a lot.
This is all theoretically thought but the plausible one I can come up with.
Marquisinator (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-20)
I think that maybe what they wanted was for you to go to the afterlife (where that may be and where they may go) with them. Though that wouldn't be a good idea if they are going to hell or another place in a different religion depending on your beliefs on religion. Maybe they were going to a better place and wanted you to come. Good luck in the future and I hope you live a happy life.:)
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-20)
that is definitely an interesting read. I have always heard of shadow people, but never really heard this side of them before. Just remember to try and keep control of your fear if you ever feel it coming up when their around and don't let the fear control you.

Peace
CuriousGuy
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-20)
I find this story quite eerie, especially with the whispers which I find always adds a fear factor to any un nervy situation. It is also odd that your cousin experienced a similar thing, almost like it runs in the family.

I do want to remark that your dad sounds brilliant, and I'm glad he was able to guide you through these situations as any father should. I hope I am to my daughter what you dad is to you, he sounds like someone very much to look up to. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: